X

Registering the Bike, Need Help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering the Bike, Need Help.

Hey guys I know this may not have been the best place to post this question, but I couldnt figure out where it fit best. I got my bike last week out of state and got it temporarily registered so that I could ride it back to the DMV to get a VIN number verification and a permanent plate. So I am going to the DMV tomorrow but I wanted to know if the VIN verification also meant that the DMV would have to inspect the bike as well (lights, turn signals, horn etc). The reason I ask is because Saturday I made my own fender eliminator kit and I havent found the right flat LED light for my license plate so I am currently without a plate light. I dont want to fail inspection because of something like this.

More follow up details; I bought my bike in New Hampshire, I am from Connecticut. The DMV website doesnt say anything about an inspection specifically, just VIN verification. Will I fail for not having a plate light? (I plan on getting one asap, I tried today but I didnt find what I needed).

Don't know what it is like down there, but up here in NH there is no inspection when registering your motorcycle. All motorcycles must be inspected by July 1st. What year is the inspection sticker that is currently on it?
    Currently in the driveway:

02 Ducati 748 Monoposto: Yellow & White
    99 Suzuki Katana 600: Red (Sold to brother but holding at the house)

Comment

Originally posted by Apathy View Post
      Don't know what it is like down there, but up here in NH there is no inspection when registering your motorcycle. All motorcycles must be inspected by July 1st. What year is the inspection sticker that is currently on it?
      I thought that the inspection sticker said it was inspected in April of this year but I think it expired in April of this year? It's kinda weeks though because it's the exact same date that the previous owner temp registered the bike i dunno if one has anything to do with the other?

Comment

Are you looking at the inspection sticker or the registration sticker? Inspection sticker is on the front forks and shows the expiration date. Registration sticker is on the license plate and will show the month/year it was registered.
        Currently in the driveway:

02 Ducati 748 Monoposto: Yellow & White
        99 Suzuki Katana 600: Red (Sold to brother but holding at the house)

Comment

this may not help, but i live in kentucky and we dont use inspections here so all they did was check the vin.

i really like the look of your bike!
          Originally posted by Slofuze:
          Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

the vin inspection is usually just an officer making sure the vin on the plate matches the vin on the frame and any paperwork you have.. Also he may input the vin into the computer to make sure it doesn't come back stolen. I am having to go through the same thing here in ga with mine.
            Last edited by egossett; 06-01-2010, 02:57 PM. Reason: left something out

Comment

Originally posted by chrislen32 View Post
              but I wanted to know if the VIN verification also meant that the DMV would have to inspect the bike as well (lights, turn signals, horn etc). The reason I ask is because Saturday I made my own fender eliminator kit and I havent found the right flat LED light for my license plate so I am currently without a plate light. I dont want to fail inspection because of something like this.
              In the state of Delaware, the following are checked.
              1) Muffler sound level
              2) Headlight - high/ low
              3) Front turn signals
              4) Rear turn signals.. they should be atleast 3.5 inches apart.
              5) Brake light using front as well as back brakes.
              6) Rear and front reflector strips on the side
              7) VIN check up on the computer

I failed #1, 4 and 6. I am going again next week!
              Regards
              sigpic
              2005 Katana 600

Comment

Here in Ohio if its just a basic out of stat inspection all they do is make sure the Vin on the bike matches the title.

If there is something different, I.e. Salvage title, or New builder title then it constitutes a full inspection, even checking engine numbers.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I don't know about registration in Connecticut or exactly what kind of light you're looking for, but I decided I'd try what looked easiest this time. I found these bolts online. We'll see how they work when they come.
                  Chris Ackerman

Comment

Call your DMV tomorrow and ask (be sure to get the name of the person you talk with) them what your going to need to bring with you, and what they're going to be looking for/at in regards to the bike. Then when you arrive on Saturday, let them know you talked with "Mary Smith" on Wednesday, and you brought all of the information she required, and the bike is in proper working order. DON'T waist your time or theirs if the bike has issues, or your paperwork is not in order. I work for a state agency in Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
                      Call your DMV tomorrow and ask (be sure to get the name of the person you talk with) them what your going to need to bring with you, and what they're going to be looking for/at in regards to the bike. Then when you arrive on Saturday, let them know you talked with "Mary Smith" on Wednesday, and you brought all of the information she required, and the bike is in proper working order. DON'T waist your time or theirs if the bike has issues, or your paperwork is not in order. I work for a state agency in Ohio.

Very well put, I would go with this method.

Comment

Thanks you guys for all of the answers, this thread was very helpful for me. To update, everything worked out fine today at the DMV. All of my paperwork was in order from the previous trip to get my temp plate so I went right to the inspection lane, had the vin verification to make sure my bike wasnt stolen, and I got my plate fairly quickly. You guys are great, your answers are greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Apathy View Post
                        Are you looking at the inspection sticker or the registration sticker? Inspection sticker is on the front forks and shows the expiration date. Registration sticker is on the license plate and will show the month/year it was registered.
                        Yes, I checked out the inspection sticker on the front forks...it had expired in April of '04 so that was pretty much irrelevant on my part.

Originally posted by cmurdah View Post
                        this may not help, but i live in kentucky and we dont use inspections here so all they did was check the vin.

i really like the look of your bike!
                        I actually just went to the DMV today and you are absolutely right, all they did was check the VIN number so it didnt come back stolen and I was good to go. And thanks a lot! I have to get up a new picture, I chopped my fender and put my mirrors back on.

Originally posted by egossett View Post
                        the vin inspection is usually just an officer making sure the vin on the plate matches the vin on the frame and any paperwork you have.. Also he may input the vin into the computer to make sure it doesn't come back stolen. I am having to go through the same thing here in ga with mine.
                        Thats exactly how it happened today, good luck with yours!

Originally posted by ramkumar999 View Post
                        In the state of Delaware, the following are checked.
                        1) Muffler sound level
                        2) Headlight - high/ low
                        3) Front turn signals
                        4) Rear turn signals.. they should be atleast 3.5 inches apart.
                        5) Brake light using front as well as back brakes.
                        6) Rear and front reflector strips on the side
                        7) VIN check up on the computer

I failed #1, 4 and 6. I am going again next week!
                        Delaware hammers you with the inspection huh? Well hey now you know what you have to fix. You can change it all back after inspection haha. Good luck!
                        Last edited by chrislen32; 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

congrats, now get out and enjoy the bike, I am hoping to this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by egossett View Post
                            congrats, now get out and enjoy the bike, I am hoping to this weekend
                            Definitely! Looks like it'll be a great weekend to ride.

Comment

well the officer wouldn't sign off on my form because the vin came back no info. It was from a no title state. I gotta see about working my way around, maybe he just hasn't come across that situation yet. Maybe I just got screwed out of some money.

Comment

Working...
                              X