X
X

15 tips for riding in traffic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my bike 2 weeks ago. Rode it to work for the first time and sure enough, almost got ran over twice. The 2nd time I was right beside the guy and saw him make eye contact with me then he just swerved over in my lane. Thank heavens for the next lane beside me! Needless to say he rode about 150 ft behind me the rest of the time he was behind me. If I braked.....he did too!
    <<<<< Ninja riders as I go by!!!!!

Comment

Absolutely awesome post. One other rule that I have heard and learned to live by applies to parking lots, where too many drivers think the rules of the road no longer apply. On a bike, I always try to follow the "10 ft rule", that is keep at least 10 ft between me and any parked cars. With so many cars parked so close together, it can be almost impossible to scan the drivers seat of each car your passing to make sure no one's in the car, ready to back out, as well as keep yourself on top of whats going on in front of you. Has saved my *** quite a few times.

Comment

Good point cyclops, it is really tough to pay attention to all kinds of cars in parking lots.

Also, this entire thread is one of the best I have found on the forum, it is a must read for all riders and one that will save lives. I just had a coworker get killed in a motorcycle accident over the weekend.

Comment

I'm a new rider, I love bikes but they scare the hell out of me. I'll read this and read this over and over again. Hello everybody BTW..

Comment

an old trick from an ole' rider...

once in a while drop your left foot to the ground and tap it on
            the road surface.... this will tell you what your rubber
            is spinning on....if your doing 60 on the rain...
            it will feel like ICE.......

of course never be in the oil line.....center of the lane....
            stay close to the left, less oil and the idiot in the cage in front
            can see you......
            http://www.streetshooter.us

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything.

Vice President
            http://www.friendsoftheforgotten.org

Comment

+1 on touching the foot down. We do that here in the NW in the late fall - mid spring anytime we hit something that looks wet (especially in the shadows), to make sure it's not actually black ice if it feels cold enough out for it.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Awsome sticky i havent had my bike for very long. I didnt know most of the things here nice to know i feel a tad bit safer now. Thanx for the info it will definatly come in handy
                92 Kat 750 rebuild from dead 108 days and counting till i get my license BACK
                01 mercury cougar
                00 cougar black
                sigpic

Comment

Good read
                  ALWAYS THE REAL!!!!

93ZX11D Candy Wine Red
                  Cardon Fiber D&D Full Exhaust,
                  Vortex Sprockets 1dwn frnt 2up back
                  She looks like Hell but is a True Battle Cat!
                  no pun intended
                  07ZX10 Special Edition Stock
                  09ZX14 in the making Need a lil more$$$1st
                  99Kat600 Custom Paint By Kali's AirBrushing, Chrome rims, Chrome GrabBar,Chrome Kickstand, Chrome Heel Gaurds, Braada Cowl,Lowered,Mesh Mod, More mods & Chrome to come

Comment

Good looking out.

This really helps out alot. Thanks
                    sigpic
                    "TIME FLYS SO LIVE LIFE FAST"
                    { = X = }

Comment

great read!!!!

wow great tips im a fairly new rider and the tip about watching the drivers movements have kept me out of trouble a few times. thanks for a good read !!!!! i plann on rereading these tips often

Comment

good tips, thanks
                        sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Good read!!

Comment

nice topic..

it's crazy out here in LA on the streets.. i'm going to read this again..
                            Last edited by nordy racer; 08-30-2009, 07:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Great advice man

Comment

As a newb I appreciate the article. Sometimes I feel like I need radar to keep up with everything going on out there. Being in a college town makes for lots of young distracted drivers going every which way. Our police department has just started upping the traffic citations. Police chief expects 3 per hour from each patrolman until the drivers catch on to following the law. Could be a long profitable school year????

Comment

Working...
                                X