X

How To Identify A Squid!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nero View Post
    Yeah, that's right...a Goldwing and a ZX-14 belong in the same category. Don't be hatin' 'cauze you ain't man enough to put a rocket between your legs. Stay on your Kat, where you're safe.

This is true. Helmets are really all about safety, and the $150 helmets protect you as well as a $600 Arai or Shoei. The difference is going to be in the quality and durability. I've probably owned 30 helmets, and it wasn't until the last few years that I could finally afford a $400 helmet. The fit tends to be better, the finish is a little more durable and the quality is there. I've owned 3 $400+ helmets in a row and they're well-made with some niceties that you can't find on some of the sheaper ones. Also, I never found a cheap one that fit my head well. It wasn't until I found the Icon Domain helmets that I finally found my home. My current Domain II Serpecant retails at about $400. I wish I could find one that was cheaper that had that kind of fit and quality, but I've not. Others say they don't like the Icons. It's all individual tastes. My advice is to try things on firsthand before giving into mailorder. You can buy a lot of things online, but when it comes to safety equipment, it's too important to blindly order something that may not fit or be comfortable.
    I liked the fit of my HJC i had a while back, that's probably what i'll go with next time. Man, $400 for a helmet? That's what i make in a week!

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
      I liked the fit of my HJC i had a while back, that's probably what i'll go with next time. Man, $400 for a helmet? That's what i make in a week!
      I hear yah. My first helmet back in '84 was a Bell 'Star' and they wanted $85 for it. As an E1 in the Air Force, I was bringing home about $160 every two weeks, and after a bike payment and insurance, I probably had about $60 left over. I could eat on-base at the mess hall, but it was a 15 mile ride to get there, because I was living with my GF. At the time, only E-5 and above could live off-base, so I just moved in with my GF, leaving my room all to my roommate, who thought it was great because his GF could pretty much stay in the room with him all the time (we called it 'ghosting').

Anyway, I bought the helmet, and I can remember being broke for a month over it.

Now I have 3 Icons and a couple of HJCs on the shelf. To me, HJCs are the best of the modestly-priced lids. I always rationalized that I could choose whichever when I rode, but I only use the Icon Domain II Serpecant, so I may as well toss the rest. This Helmet is very light, breathes well, doesn't lift and stops wind-buffeting, which is really common for any rider over 6 ft. on a sport bike. My new Puig windscreen should help with that now, too.
      Last edited by Nero; 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Yeah, that's right...a Goldwing and a ZX-14 belong in the same category. Don't be hatin' 'cauze you ain't man enough to put a rocket between your legs. Stay on your Kat, where you're safe.
        Hey, I've had two liter+ bikes! A '79 GS1000E and a '92 GSX1100G. They were both rockets and neither one really turned all that well. At 155 lbs though, I get a whole bunch of power/weight ratio from a 750 AND I can turn!

I hear yah. My first helmet back in '84 was a Bell 'Star' and they wanted $85 for it. As an E1 in the Air Force, I was bringing home about $160 every two weeks...
        Remember those days...
        ... To me, HJCs are the best of the modestly-priced lids....
        +1 on that! I just wish they fit my head better. Some folks have HJC-shaped heads, some have Shoei-shaped heads. Gotta try on o whole bunch of lids and see what fits you. Hopefully it's the lower priced ones!

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
        Thanks for the tips. I'm an OTR trucker but I don't really notice any shops on the road that i can park a truck near, sadly...

I'll check around anyhow...
        Maybe if you're stuck out for a night somewhere...
        Last edited by Wild-Bill; 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Hey, I've had two liter+ bikes! A '79 GS1000E and a '92 GSX1100G. They were both rockets and neither one really turned all that well. At 155 lbs though, I get a whole bunch of power/weight ratio from a 750 AND I can turn!

Remember those days...

+1 on that! I just wish they fit my head better. Some folks have HJC-shaped heads, some have Shoei-shaped heads. Gotta try on o whole bunch of lids and see what fits you. Hopefully it's the lower priced ones!

Maybe if you're stuck out for a night somewhere...
          Atleast now i have replaced the air card that i broke so i can get on the internet to look for them. There's always the aspect of "cant park near" vs "ok its a 1 mile walk" vs "cant see it from the highway", ya know.

Are literbikes really that bad at turning?

Comment

They tend to be big, with a wide turning radius. On top of that, they tend to be heavy. For a little guy like me they're a lot of work at low speeds - like in a parking lot. Not unmanageable but more work than fun. OTOH, once you get them up on the highway, they're comfortable and smooth. Lot to be said for that if that's what you mostly do on a bike.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              They tend to be big, with a wide turning radius. On top of that, they tend to be heavy. For a little guy like me they're a lot of work at low speeds - like in a parking lot. Not unmanageable but more work than fun. OTOH, once you get them up on the highway, they're comfortable and smooth. Lot to be said for that if that's what you mostly do on a bike.
              heh id rather have a smaller bike

Comment

Yah, a the tank top is defiantly a sign!!!
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Has anyone bought any of the kevlar enforced jeans or cargo sliders? Like these: http://www.compacc.com/Sliders If so, are they a good investment, or is it better to buy some sort of leathers?
                  It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

Jeans are better than shorts...I'll give you that. However, having experienced the healing process from a minor interaction with a dirt road (yes...I am a former squid), I strongly recommend gearing up. If $$$ is an issue, visit Ebay!

Comment

My dad has a pair of the jeans with the pucks and pads built in and he really like them he wears those more than his leathers. But watch out for ebay i bought a "brand new" icon jacket for somewhere around $100 and when i got it it still had the tags on it and everything well i put it on and my right shoulder was missing. Needless to say im short on money so i have to fall on the left side. and for helmets i have an old HJC i think that was a hand me down that the padding is falling out which is a dangerous thing when it falls into your eye. so i dont do much rding except to and from school but hopefully soon i will find a job and can afford a nice jacket and helmet, i also have hand me down boots and work boots (so yall know i do wear gear)

Comment

I have ridden for 25 years now and see squids and squiddettes on the road .,,,,riding on the road too .I appreciate the label squid.If you have it wear it .I was on vacation once and went without a jacket on a rental .To be a rider you have to be one of two groups the fallen and someone who is about to fall.I hope its in leathers or denim if and when you go down .Its been 15 years since I dropped my 650 Dakar on wet street car tracks in the rain .You never forget .hopefully the squids live long enough to be able to have a bad memories .Leathers are like condom ,can only protect you if your wearing it .:O
                        I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Originally posted by rockonayz View Post
                          My dad has a pair of the jeans with the pucks and pads built in and he really like them he wears those more than his leathers. But watch out for ebay i bought a "brand new" icon jacket for somewhere around $100 and when i got it it still had the tags on it and everything well i put it on and my right shoulder was missing. Needless to say im short on money so i have to fall on the left side. and for helmets i have an old HJC i think that was a hand me down that the padding is falling out which is a dangerous thing when it falls into your eye. so i dont do much rding except to and from school but hopefully soon i will find a job and can afford a nice jacket and helmet, i also have hand me down boots and work boots (so yall know i do wear gear)
                          man, you need a new helmet asap. You're supposed to replace helmets every 5 years iirc, and for the most part its because the material that absorbs impacts is 2 inches of styrofoam...which degrades over time...And i'm guessing that helmet is older than that. You can't tell me you can't cough up $80 to get an AFX helmet and atleast be safe. Just save $8 for 10 weeks.

The jacket on the other hand..i dont even own one. I intend to buy one in a couple weeks when i get my license plate, however.

Comment

i have the money for a helmet just havent got around to buying one yet i may take a ride to a shope and pick one up next week what brands are cheap but last a while?

Comment

Originally posted by rockonayz View Post
                              Check this web site: http://www.newenough.com/street/clos...rgain_basement They have really good prices in their closeout and bargain basement sections. I bought a padded riding jacket for $50. I also bought my helmet from competition accessories and got a $250 HJC for $100.
                              It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

thanks im going to have to remember that site. they have nice helmets for cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X