No announcement yet.
X

How To Identify A Squid!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I know they have under-armor pants that are made for riding that go (big surprise) under your jeans (or slacks, or whatever). And by under-armor I don't mean the stuff that athletes wear, I mean armor...that goes under clothes, just to clarify. And so I would assume they have similar for your torso. Not as good as an actual leather jacket, but it would do enough to save your major organs and hopefully most of your skin (assuming you slide on the armor pads and not in between them). If you're worried about style, that might be the way to go. As it puts the armor under whatever you want to wear. Although it does probably add a little bulk.

Otherwise, you might want to look into touring-style jackets. They're getting popular as jackets for people who don't ride. There's actually a few that look pretty slick made by Rock & Republic (note, those ones are NOT for riding, JUST for style) that go for about $500-$800. So, that's what the cool people are wearing these days. And they are just copies of regular motorcycle touring jackets, that you can pick up at most dealerships for around $200 (or probably cheaper online).

Rock and Republic:
    Tours
    Bradley

Just Google search for the multitude of touring jackets available, see if one fits your style. Just make sure its an actual Motorcycle jacket, not just a jacket that looks like one (i.e. will protect you in a wreck).
    Last edited by knuckelz; 04-12-2010, 02:26 AM.

Comment

I wear something like this on days I dont feel like wearing leather or mesh jackets. Works great under a sweat shirt or hoodie.
      Motorcycle Closeouts has Insane Discounts on top-quality helmets & apparel for street, MX, ATV, UTV and bicycle. 5 Star Guarantee. E-Z Returns. Free Shipping.
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Leather is definitely nicer but cheap leather won't protect you as well as mesh and good leather costs. I've seen plenty of crappy leather being passed off as riding gear. Swing by a dealership and check out the gear. Good leathers are heavy duty stuff with foam armor in the shoulders, elbows and along the spine. (Same for mesh or textile.) Then you'll have a better idea of what features to look for.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I got a REALLY nice shift mesh jacket with armor in it (its not HUGE armor, but its there) on closeout from iron pony for $99 when I went up there. I was actually looking at one similar with a graphic on if, but it was $250(along with the rest of the shift jackets) and I saw it in on a hanger. Tried it on, I snagged it right before the other guy who was eyeing it

Comment

gotta luv the mesh stuff. Its sooo much cooler then my leathers and the protection in it is top notch! Granted its a one and done kinda deal if you go down hard enough but I have yet to test this fact for m'self.
            Joker
            sigpic

Comment

So im on the road and havent been home in 3 weeks, so i cant really go to a motorcycle shop. Going home this weekend and going to buy the bike atleast.

But i was shopping on the internet, and I like the prices of mesh. No excuses to wear anything less. I will be riding without at first but will have my mesh before I go any real distance. Of course, I live in a town that doesnt have a real rush hour, and im talking about low speed limits. I can deal with falling down at 30mph...done it before on a bicycle in..flip flops and shorts and a tshirt. LOL ouch. Was going down a hill!

Seriously though....I like the price of mesh, and not the price of leather. But I was thinking...is there any reason i cant wear it UNDER something nicer looking? If i wear it under a dressy leather jacket, is it going to hurt me when i fall? Seems like it's just a risk of ruining the jacket if i fall to me, eh?

Buying clothes that fit me is hard so im not going to buy off the internet unless i find something i like at a shop and find it cheaper on the internet. However, I know that if i tell the shop I usually go to i can get it cheaper on the net, they'll try to knock the price down. I've been going there for years for dirtbike stuff.

Hehehe, I went there for my first time in a couple years to buy my helmet..guy in the parts dept said "Where do i remember you from?" ..im like, ...HERE. Hah.

Comment

A mesh jacket isn't going to work under a leather dress jacket unless the leather is just enormous! Good riding jackets are actually pretty bulky with all the armor, etc. If you're bound and determined to have some protection under non-riding type clothes then take a look here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...or/forcefield/ Nice stuff but the prices are a bit (OK, a lot) higher than just buying a good mesh jacket.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
                  Hehehe, I went there for my first time in a couple years to buy my helmet..guy in the parts dept said "Where do i remember you from?" ..im like, ...HERE. Hah.

Shoulda told em "The Blue Oyster Bar!" The look woulda been priceless!
                  Joker
                  sigpic

Comment

Squids usually have a first name like Ed
                    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJsUyhagQA&playnext_from=TL&videos=kS0J-A37-4A"]YouTube- highway 69 to angola[/ame]

Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      A mesh jacket isn't going to work under a leather dress jacket unless the leather is just enormous! Good riding jackets are actually pretty bulky with all the armor, etc. If you're bound and determined to have some protection under non-riding type clothes then take a look here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...or/forcefield/ Nice stuff but the prices are a bit (OK, a lot) higher than just buying a good mesh jacket.
                      Yeah, I just went to the bike shop to pick up my helmet, and well, first of all, i guess next time i'll pay $150 to $200 for one. I totally see why i got the price i got.

Anyhow, I asked the very cute girl at the parts counter about jackets, she showed me the cheap mesh jackets, and I tried a Vegas jacket on. Very nice. Very comfortable. Discussed things like armor and fit with the cutie. It's only $120, she said they always have them in stock and it wont be a problem to just walk in and get one. I'll get one in a couple of weeks. (note that im a trucker and its not like im going to be riding much if at all in a couple of weeks!

I didn't actually see any pants there, so i didnt get to try any on. But I ought to be able to just buy something very similar to the jacket I like for pants...

Comment

Yeah, I just went to the bike shop to pick up my helmet, and well, first of all, i guess next time i'll pay $150 to $200 for one. I totally see why i got the price i got.
                        Thing to remember about helmets is that between el-cheapos and premium helmets, the difference in protection is about nothing. All the difference is in comfort/convenience. I went with a Shoei for about $200 online. Big thing to remember when you do go looking for a nicer helmet is to try on a lot of different brands. Shoei fits my head well. HJCs give me a hot spot just above the forehead and several brands squeeze my ears really bad. Arai helmets are really easy to custom fit and are outstanding helmets but they're pretty expensive. Take the time to figure what sizes in what brands fit you really well. Nice helmets are too much money to not be really happy with yours.

Anyhow, I asked the very cute girl at the parts counter about jackets, she showed me the cheap mesh jackets, and I tried a Vegas jacket on. Very nice. Very comfortable. Discussed things like armor and fit with the cutie. It's only $120, she said they always have them in stock and it wont be a problem to just walk in and get one. I'll get one in a couple of weeks. (note that im a trucker and its not like im going to be riding much if at all in a couple of weeks!
                        Just like the helmets, don't stop looking and comparing. Price differences between different brands of jackets aren't so much that you should be hesitant to step up a notch if it'll get you something you like better. This is a long-term investment so think of the cost as being spread out over 5-10 years. A $50 difference in jackets is a $5-$10 per year investment in your comfort.

I didn't actually see any pants there, so i didnt get to try any on. But I ought to be able to just buy something very similar to the jacket I like for pants...
                        I haven't seen a lot of stores that actually keep pants in stock, especially textile/mesh. Try one of the geezer-bike dealers, like one that sells Goldwings or ZX-14s. (Right, Nero?) Other than that, you're probably stuck with mail order. Best bet there is probably to wait until you settle on a jacket and then go with the same brand. At least that way you know generally what sort of quality you're likely to end up with and the zippers should match.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thing to remember about helmets is that between el-cheapos and premium helmets, the difference in protection is about nothing. All the difference is in comfort/convenience. I went with a Shoei for about $200 online. Big thing to remember when you do go looking for a nicer helmet is to try on a lot of different brands. Shoei fits my head well. HJCs give me a hot spot just above the forehead and several brands squeeze my ears really bad. Arai helmets are really easy to custom fit and are outstanding helmets but they're pretty expensive. Take the time to figure what sizes in what brands fit you really well. Nice helmets are too much money to not be really happy with yours.

Just like the helmets, don't stop looking and comparing. Price differences between different brands of jackets aren't so much that you should be hesitant to step up a notch if it'll get you something you like better. This is a long-term investment so think of the cost as being spread out over 5-10 years. A $50 difference in jackets is a $5-$10 per year investment in your comfort.

I haven't seen a lot of stores that actually keep pants in stock, especially textile/mesh. Try one of the geezer-bike dealers, like one that sells Goldwings or ZX-14s. (Right, Nero?) Other than that, you're probably stuck with mail order. Best bet there is probably to wait until you settle on a jacket and then go with the same brand. At least that way you know generally what sort of quality you're likely to end up with and the zippers should match.
                          Ok. How come the stores dont keep pants in stock? Is it not cool? As far as the helmet, I figured protection wouldn't be much different as long as its DOT approved.

I've worn helmets before, but the last one i had was an HJC, which i had considered a cheap brand. However, it's been stolen, and apparently it's not as cheap a brand as AFX, LOL. I noticed pretty big differences in the inside fabric and padding. However, that's not such a big deal.

I bought an AFX flat black helmet for $75 after tax. I couldn't try it on because they didnt have one in stock in my size, so i ordered it. Its the right size but the foam kinda fits too tight on my forehead. The cutie at the shop gave me some tips to make it fit better. She said that it should conform to my head after i start using it, and that i could put a softball or similar in it to help break it in faster. I think it'll end up fitting fine. But I make enough money that it really isnt a problem for me to just buy another one and keep this one for an extra helmet.

As for jackets, OK. I'll keep looking. I did really like the fit of that jacket i tried on though. I also do know some other shops in the area that i can look at.

Comment

I think the reason most stores don't stock pants is that they just don't sell as many of them as they do jackets. Gotta pay rent on every square inch of floor space, you know; plus there's money tied up in every item kept in stock that could be freed up to spend on advertising, salaries, etc. Reason they don't sell that many pairs of pants is that most sport (or sport-ish) bike riders make do with jeans or go for full leathers. I know I don't wear my pants nearly as often as the jacket, which I wear every time I ride, no matter what else I'm wearing. For the first 5 years I rode I didn't have riding pants at all! Only reason I bought them when I did was that I was stationed in Germany and found a pair on sale in the Hein Gerick store that matched my jacket. LD tourers are a different market, though. Most of the Goldwing and BMW set go for rainsuits and two-piece protective gear before they hit the road for the first time. That's why I suggested checking out one of those dealers.

The helmet may or may not ever break in to your head. It all depends on what's rubbing. If it hasn't stopped pressing on your forehead after around ten hours or so of wear then it's probably never going to. Whatever you do though, don't try the softball thing unless that's what you've got for a head. The last thing you want is to crush the foam where it's not needed, making loose spots and decreasing the amount of crush space in an accident. Just keep in mind that for the price of two (or maybe three) cheap helmets that you never like wearing, you can get one (much nicer) helmet that's comfortable all day.

As for the jacket, be patient and find the one that works best for you. In addition to the fit, take a good hard look at the seams and other assembly details. Little things missed where you can see them tend to be indicative of how the things you can't see were done, too. When I was shopping for a jacket I went looking for design details like reflective piping sewn into the design of the jacket and loose threads where the seams had been sewn. Who knows, maybe the one you looked at will be the right one for you but you'll never be sure if you don't compare it to some others. Me, I like the Fieldsheer stuff a whole lot. Great design features and the assembly details were way better than Joe Rocket for about the same price.

You've said you're a trucker; local haul or OTR? If you find yourself traveling a lot you may have an opportunity or two to check out some bike shops in other towns that have better (or at least more) selection. With the warmer weather and longer riding season there, I've found way better bike shops in the South.
                            Last edited by Wild-Bill; 04-17-2010, 01:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I think the reason most stores don't stock pants is that they just don't sell as many of them as they do jackets. Gotta pay rent on every square inch of floor space, you know; plus there's money tied up in every item kept in stock that could be freed up to spend on advertising, salaries, etc. Reason they don't sell that many pairs of pants is that most sport (or sport-ish) bike riders make do with jeans or go for full leathers. I know I don't wear my pants nearly as often as the jacket, which I wear every time I ride, no matter what else I'm wearing. For the first 5 years I rode I didn't have riding pants at all! Only reason I bought them when I did was that I was stationed in Germany and found a pair on sale in the Hein Gerick store that matched my jacket. LD tourers are a different market, though. Most of the Goldwing and BMW set go for rainsuits and two-piece protective gear before they hit the road for the first time. That's why I suggested checking out one of those dealers.

The helmet may or may not ever break in to your head. It all depends on what's rubbing. If it hasn't stopped pressing on your forehead after around ten hours or so of wear then it's probably never going to. Whatever you do though, don't try the softball thing unless that's what you've got for a head. The last thing you want is to crush the foam where it's not needed, making loose spots and decreasing the amount of crush space in an accident. Just keep in mind that for the price of two (or maybe three) cheap helmets that you never like wearing, you can get one (much nicer) helmet that's comfortable all day.

As for the jacket, be patient and find the one that works best for you. In addition to the fit, take a good hard look at the seams and other assembly details. Little things missed where you can see them tend to be indicative of how the things you can't see were done, too. When I was shopping for a jacket I went looking for design details like reflective piping sewn into the design of the jacket and loose threads where the seams had been sewn. Who knows, maybe the one you looked at will be the right one for you but you'll never be sure if you don't compare it to some others. Me, I like the Fieldsheer stuff a whole lot. Great design features and the assembly details were way better than Joe Rocket for about the same price.

You've said you're a trucker; local haul or OTR? If you find yourself traveling a lot you may have an opportunity or two to check out some bike shops in other towns that have better (or at least more) selection. With the warmer weather and longer riding season there, I've found way better bike shops in the South.
                              Thanks for the tips. I'm an OTR trucker but I don't really notice any shops on the road that i can park a truck near, sadly...

I'll check around anyhow...

Comment

I haven't seen a lot of stores that actually keep pants in stock, especially textile/mesh. Try one of the geezer-bike dealers, like one that sells Goldwings or ZX-14s. (Right, Nero?)
                                Yeah, that's right...a Goldwing and a ZX-14 belong in the same category. Don't be hatin' 'cauze you ain't man enough to put a rocket between your legs. Stay on your Kat, where you're safe.

This is true. Helmets are really all about safety, and the $150 helmets protect you as well as a $600 Arai or Shoei. The difference is going to be in the quality, finish and durability. I've probably owned 30 helmets, and it wasn't until the last few years that I could finally afford a $400+ helmet. The fit tends to be better, the finish is a little more durable and the quality is there. I've owned 3 $400+ helmets in a row and they're well-made with some niceties that you can't find on some of the cheaper ones. Also, I never found a cheap one that fit my head well. That's not to say that only expensive hemets fit me well, because none of the Arais, Shoeis and such that I've tried on fit me well either. It wasn't until I found the Icon Domain helmets that I finally found my home. My current Domain II Serpecant retails at about $400. I wish I could find one that was cheaper that had that kind of fit and quality, but I've not. Others say they don't like the Icons. It's all individual tastes. My advice is to try things on firsthand before giving into mailorder. You can buy a lot of things online, but when it comes to safety equipment, it's too important to blindly order something that may not fit or be comfortable.

Keep in mind that initial comfort is not the main objective. Every 'cheap' helmet I ever bought fit me well initially, but the foam soon wears out and goes limp, which means the face shield is eventually pressed aganst your nose by the wind which sucks.

As for other gear, it wasn't until I was making better money in my mid-30s that I decided I could finally afford a leather racing suit. It is rare that I drag a knee now, but I wear my suit even when I'm not horsing around because if I'm going to be taking a slide after a get-off, I'd rather not be doing so with my nice Joe Rocket suit (designed to protect me) hanging on a rack at home (where it cannot protect me). That's not to say that I throw on my $800 Joe Rocket two-piece very time I putter around town. I usually wear the top or one of my textile jackets for that. When I think I'm going to be moving at higher speeds, I sually opt for the full suit though.
                                Last edited by Nero; 04-17-2010, 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                                X