X

Bike security suggestions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike security suggestions?

I guess this would be an okay place for this. But I was looking around for bike locks or something when I go out riding. I was just wondering what everyone recommended. I personally am broke all the time, so something not too expensive, but still very effective would be great. Thanks
    'Not accidents! Crashes. Almost every crash can be prevented by avoiding distractions while driving.'

Get one of the locks that goes thru the brake disc. Those are fairly inexpensive.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
      Get one of the locks that goes thru the brake disc. Those are fairly inexpensive.
      I picked mine up for $30 or $35. Definitely nice to have.

Comment

Any consideration to CyberPoet's motorcycle anchor?

Cheap Security that you can re-use on more then one bike?
        Currently Riding:
        1995 Katana 600
        V&H Exhaust
        Jet Kit

SOLD
        2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
        1987 XV700 Bobber
        REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Disk locks are really just a deterrent like fork locks. Depending on where you live and park, really dictates what kind of security you need. Someone can still pick an end of the machine up, and wheel it where ever they would like to go with it.

Obviously the best choice is a motorcycle anchor with a giant chain, but you can't exactly take the anchor with you when you go somewhere.

I have a Kryptonite U-Lock that I use in places where I don't trust the fork locks alone... just don't forget to take it off. Pin locks have lower "security" ratings... but I'm not sure who issues them, or what they are worth.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Could always put one of these stickers on it:

Currently Riding:
            1995 Katana 600
            V&H Exhaust
            Jet Kit

SOLD
            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
            1987 XV700 Bobber
            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

For the disk locks, get one of those coiled reminder wire lines so you don't take off with the lock still on the rotor.

Ask me how I know.

Here's Web Bike World's security page. You may get some info there you can use.
              Last edited by squiggy; 01-24-2009, 03:56 PM.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

my bike has a place built in for a ulock, so i have been tossing around the idea of getting one seeing how i have a designated place under the seat.

But then thought about a small disk lock.

But i think i might get me an almax chain and just have my brother bring it home from england.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

pep boys have a 1 wire wire alarm system for aprox $60 with shock sensor, electrical current load detector etc. they work very well and you can usually wire them up to have a flashing LED.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Hint....... if you look at uk based websites you will see bike security stuff labeled "sold secure" these are generaly the best stuff you can buy & aproved by the insurance company's we even get a discount for their use

For locks i prefer chain type with a closed shackle lock when parking in the street, loop through the frame & around something solid (light pole maybe) the disadvantage is carrying it

For security at home i rely on a locked shed, the above chain, a big stick & a reputation for violence carefully nurtured with the local scumbags
                    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I park next to another bike .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        that made my wife ask why I was laughing.. true stuff is the funniest.
                        -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post

sigpic
                          2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

cables and chains are for the most part not cost affective and completely useless with the exception of some of the VERY FEW outragous $$$ ones.

Anyone looking to steel a bike usually has a set of power cutters or bolt cutters and I don't know or have not heard of a chain or cable yet that can stand up to power cutter, or even croppers or large bolt cutters.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Not Found: Lockitt Mobile Security & Accessories

I got this for the back and a front disk lock.

Call me paranoid? Yep. Power cutters and bolt cutters, I'd like to see them try to get through the steel on the chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X