X

Crazy Wind

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Wind

Has anyone seen a thread or have any information on the katana particularly not doing so well in wind ? and is there anything suspension ride height etc that can make this more tolerable ? i've rode a few other bike r6 was one specific, that handled this much better. is it the katana fairing designs etc that seem to make this a little worse? I love my kat. but i also need use of the freeway and the semi and side gust of wind are taking me way out of my comfort range.

How long have you been riding? If you're uncomfortable in the wind then that's you not the bike. You gotta figure any bike with fairings (the R6 included) is a giant sail in the wind. The Katana should actually be more stable with the heavier weight and not get blown around as much. Are you staying loose on the bike or death gripping the bars? Trying to control it too much makes it worse.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Just hang on to that sucka! I've been out on some of the most windy days and you just have to get used to it.

Comment

Ride Loose. Don't Panic. And, ride Loose
        Currently Riding:
        1995 Katana 600
        V&H Exhaust
        Jet Kit

SOLD
        2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
        1987 XV700 Bobber
        REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Scottynoface: i've been riding quite a long time:not so much on the interstates though, this is the first bike thats been big enough to consider it. i've only rode a few bikes on the freeway, an older Kat being one of them. maybe it wasn't as windy those days, i've read more than a few articles so last time i went up i stayed loose and relax"had to make it a point to" and was still outta my comfort zone"

Comment

When I first started riding, the wind really freaked me out. I found I was fighting it and trying to control it. In actuality, trying to control it it what causes you to weave all over the road. The above statements are correct, just hang loose and go with it. After awhile, it won't bother you.
            sigpic

Comment

here in North Texas it is not uncommon to see 40+ mph wind gusts that will come straight from the north or south, depending on the season... I am usually traveling East or West so I get to fight those winds all the time... It just takes some getting used to... And some faith that your bike will stay planted as you steer into the wind... I can sense most times when I have the bike leaning into the wind, and wonder what it must look like to cars behind me...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I ride in Albuquerque, NM, and wind is something you have to face, especially parts of the Interstate. I have ridden in the wind on my husbands GS500F and my Katana. When I rode the GS500, I kissed the ground when I got home. I felt like the wind was going to knock the bike out from under me. The Kat, I have learned to ride in the wind. I feel a little more stable. Now, what makes me nervous, is if the wind is going in one direction, and then all of a sudden I get a crosswind.

I have learned to tuck myself in, streamline as much as possible, and go with it.

Comment

wind

i road lastnight in jacksonville n.c. and the wind was blowing hard i never had to fight a bick as bad as i did .98-kat, my other bick did not have that problem*85 shadow, is a cruser that much def?

sorry about speeling im chaseing my little girl at sam time as tipeing
                  Last edited by joseph2027; 12-10-2008, 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                    Ride Loose. Don't Panic. And, ride Loose

Best advice right there. Relax. Forward momentum and centrifical force will keep you moving!
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

thanks for taking the time to post guys ! i'm doing what i can to stay loose. but sometimes in a corner i feel like that the front wheel is gonna slide right out from under me.. like i said never rode bikes on the freeway.. i'm guessing it'll become second nature after a while.

Comment

Duck down tuck in and ease up on the controls. The death grip makes it worse
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I'm suprised Doc hasn't chimed in on this thread, he live near one of the windiest areas in So Cal lol. I'm not sure if the full farings on a bike really make as much difference in the wind as the weight of the bike does. I just keep watching where I want to go in a relaxed tuck on the bike, and it seems to just lay over as much as it needs to to counter the wind on it's own, just watch out when you go underneath an overpass that blocks the wind.
                          John,
                          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                          sigpic

Comment

I have also ridden in the wind on the Katana. I like the fact it's heavy. Good advice about staying loose. I also live near a landing strip for the air ambulance service and I can say from personal experience riding on a road directly under the downdraft of a landing helicopter is freaky for a new rider and quite challenging too.

My 1st bike & 3rd Child: Midnight Blue 2005 Kat 750

(Something for the faster-moving projectile fan in us all:
                            http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.as...4238689A5F27F0 )

Comment

I can sense most times when I have the bike leaning into the wind, and wonder what it must look like to cars behind me...[/quote]
                              Been there done that!!! I hate that!!
                              sigpic

RIP CP
                              50th Anniv R6
                              95 Katana 600
                              http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X