X

Starting out midhill

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting out midhill

Where I live is all hills, and sometimes I'm having a hard time gettin out of first because the hills are insane, anyone have any tips so I can stop looking so green.
    Let your bloodline fuel my youth!!!

If you are talking about getting started from a stop on a hill, I normally use my rear brake to hold the bike back while feathering the clutch and opening the throttle.

Comment

I've been holding the front brake just enough to keep from going back while rolling the gas and releasing the clutch nice and slow. It hasn't cut off on me yet, but its all about timing like in a car.
      Godspeed
      CSBA #1167
      Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by 600Kat4EB View Post
        I've been holding the front brake just enough to keep from going back while rolling the gas and releasing the clutch nice and slow. It hasn't cut off on me yet, but its all about timing like in a car.
        its easier to use the rear brake
        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

I use the front brake on small inclines occasionally, but the rear brake mostly, and especially on steeper ones.
          2004 GSX750F

Comment

bring it to redline and drop the clutch....
            well.....
            at least it won't stall.
            Some people carry on
            Some just stay right where they are
            Our worlds divide

Comment

Originally posted by Adequateman View Post
              If you are talking about getting started from a stop on a hill, I normally use my rear brake to hold the bike back while feathering the clutch and opening the throttle.
              I've always used my front brake while feathering the clutch and opening the throttle.

It may be easier with the rear brake, but I haven't tried it because I like both feet on the ground holding her steady ... just in case.
              ~ Lisa
              2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
              2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

yeah

i don't know, i'm gonna try that rear brake hold.

Comment

Hold yourself with the rear brake. That allows you good throttle control with your right hand.

Just remember not to let go of that clutch if you leave it in gear, and be careful you don't try to put it in gear with the other foot on the brake.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I was just practicing this the other day. I tried both methods and for me I use the rear brake. I had full control of the throttle. When I tried the front brake, I wasn't able to hold the brake and control the throttle at the same time (my hands are pretty small) Try both methods and see which works for you. It takes lots of practice to get it down but believe me if I can do it, your good

Comment

After i read this thread i started using the back brake and love it. Seattle has a lot of hills too.

Comment

haha

Yeah just when i was gonna take the back brake off to reduce weight, i find out it has a good use. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Rothman View Post
                          bring it to redline and drop the clutch....
                          well.....
                          at least it won't stall.
                          dang it.... beat me to this.... thats exactly what i was gonna say.....
                          THE EMAIL BANDIT
                          F4 I stunted out
                          Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                          MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

See what you really need is a nurse on a KAT in front and a Texas Blond in back and then let nature take its course

Comment

Working...
                            X