Question about gears and turning/stopping

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about gears and turning/stopping

I'm new to riding so bare with me

Say you are in a higher gear going at a decent speed and a sharp turn is ahead. Do you just lay off the throttle and break before entering a turn then accelerate during or do you usually also shift down before?

Also say you are in a higher gear going at a decent speed and a stop sign is ahead. As you approach you lay off the throttle, break, close the clutch, then at a complete stop shift back down to first? Seems like when I do that the bike wants to stall when I get going again.

I would suggest always down shifting for a corner, and be in the gear going into the corner that you want to use coming out of the corner. Nothing irritates me more than someone shifting through a corner. Be it in a cage or a bike. In a cage, it's just annoying. In a bike, it can be dangerous.

Stop signs, stop lights....meh, up to you.

Comment

As far as the bike feeling like it wants to stall when you get going again...the Kat really has very little power coming from below 3k rpms, try revving it up to around there and feather the clutch to help keep the motor from bogging down. You will get used to it, comes with getting used to the sound and feel of your bike. Just takes time and practice.
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

For the corners/curves - Slow, look, lean, and roll.

Slow - prepare for the turn before you get there. You want to decelerate while you are vertical. You want to enter the turn at the proper speed so you're stable throughout the turn. If you need to downshift, you generally want it done before you enter the turn.

Look - find your path through the turn and focus on it. Keep your head up, focus on where you want to go. Remember outside-inside-outside is the easiest path through the turn.

Lean - commit to the turn - push on the handlebar for the direction you want to turn. Push left, lean left, turn left. Push right, lean right, turn right.

Roll - smoothly roll on the throttle - do it smoothly while you are in your lean, and increase it as you level out to vertical.

Smooth as butter when it all comes together.

Comment

If you are shifting down into 1st AFTER a complete stop, are you 100% positive you are in 1st gear? There's a possibility you are in 2nd, which would explain the difficulty in rolling off from a stop. Generally, when approaching a stop, it is preferable to come down through the gears, so that should you need to take corrective action, the bike will be ready to accelerate out of harm's way.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

All the guys gave good information its take alot pratice and it will become second nature good luck and ride safe
            sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course ASAP...
              sigpic
              Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post

As far as the bike feeling like it wants to stall when you get going again...the Kat really has very little power coming from below 3k rpms, try revving it up to around there and feather the clutch to help keep the motor from bogging down. You will get used to it, comes with getting used to the sound and feel of your bike. Just takes time and practice.
                3k rpms seems a bit excessive to me for getting any bike rolling in first. wear and tear on the clutch, lever slips or you let it out a bit quick and you're beggin for troubles. lurch, kill, fall impresses the heck outta anyone watching when you do that.

practice practice practice. you should be able to gently roll on throttle as you gently let the clutch out. a nice smooth coordinated effort.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                X