No announcement yet.
X

Tips on riding in the rain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went around an S turn coming back from my friends place two months ago. It was comming down pretty good intermitently all day so the roads were washed. I was a bit apprehensive about riding in it but had to get home. On the way home I slowed down going into the S turn only to come on a teenage driver trying to climb a telephone pole in a Chevy Lumina. Yeah, I pulled over and helped out and had a pretty good chuckle with her parents when they showed up. Girl was freaked and banged up a bit, car cought on fire...very good humored parents. I guess my lesson learned is go slow get home.

Comment

It was a bit unnerving the first time I rode in the rain. I'm pretty adjusted to it now, because I'm aware of the perils of riding in the rain and take precautions accordingly. I think everyone has hit on the main things to remember
      1. Wait for about 30min after the rain starts before going out if you can, so all the oil and everything else slimy and slippery on the road has time to come to the surface and get washed away
      2. Stay upright as much as possible
      3. Easy on the throttle
      4. Painted areas on pavement --> slippery
      5. Manhole covers --> slippery
      6. Railroad Tracks --> slippery
      7. Try to stay in the tracks of the vehicle in front of you if possible, don't ride in the middle of the road
      Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

just like a lot of others have said, watch for the paint in the road, any metal surface (manholes, cattle gaurds, etc) as long as you be alert and dont have to stop quick, turn sharp, or accerate quickly, you should be fine.

Comment

33 years riding exp. riding every day, rain, shine or snow, leaves me with this advice.
          1> Get the proper gear.
          2> Go slow and easy just like any learning experience there is a learning curve. pay heed to it.
          3> watch the fog on your visor. rain-x works wonders.
          4> Cars will not watch for you, you have to watch for them.
          5> Tires will make a huge difference in wet traction. be willing to pay for the best cuz it's your azz on the line.
          6> not much difference between snow and mud except snow is cleaner when you go down.
          7> when it's hailing the cars/cops will hide under the bridge and you can make real good time.
          8> Cars will not see you, you've got to see them.
          9> carry a zip-lock bag for your important gizmos and papers.
          10> Don't ride faster than you can do a controlled low side, Cuz you will eventually go down.
          11> Wear the proper gear!
          12> Watch everyone cuz no one will look for a bike in bad weather!!

ride every day and get as much experience as you can. it just might save your azz.
          Carpie Diem!

Comment

Riding in the rain

I didn't have much experience in foul weather until this weekend coming back to Charlotte from the beach. I tried to make it 200 miles but had to stop halfway. I was wearing a tourmaster cortech jacket, the weather was either drizzle or constant rain, the temperature was 59 degrees and the speed limit was between 55 and 70 mph.

The Tourmaster jacket started seeping around the 60 mile marker. At around the 80 mile point, the temps, dampness and wind were taking effect, and at 100 miles I could tell I was in the early stages of hypothermia with involuntary shivers and poor judgement starting to creep in to the picture, so I exited the highway and found a hotel room for the evening. I finished the rest of the ride today.

The Kat handled the weather much better than I did. Some puddling was unavoidable but I never hydroplaned. I had taken a Yoshimura summer jacket and the Tourmaster with me. Thank God I had the Tourmaster. I was definitely in a defensive posture while riding and left PLENTY of room for reaction time and keeping my distance from cars and trucks. 18 Wheelers are no fun in the rain. Leaning out from behind the fairing and turning my head sideways cleared the moisture from my visor when it was needed.

My next investment will be a very solid rain suit. I would have made it all the way with one of those.
            sigpic
            A little throttle and ease out the clutch.

Comment

My riding a bike for the last 4 1/2 -5 years has ben no rain .. But my high school days in the late 70's and mid 80's there where some rainy days and i will tell you i hate it - dont like it and most likly will avoid it at all costs ...cant remember when it rained for more then three days in a row here in so. Cal

Comment

riding in the rain is easy just watch out for other cars.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  Rain? What is "rain"?

San Diego, California

I ride year round, rain or shine. Give yourself a little more room to stop and when your rear tire slides just roll off the throttle a little. This will help to keep the tire spinning commensurate with bike speed and allow you to regain traction faster. Oh, and try to slow down a little so your rear tire isn't as likely to slip in a corner.
                  Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Just ride like normal, but be 100% smoother... get all your breaking done while the bike is verticle. Remember roads are the slickest right when it starts to rain.

Comment

Working...
                    X