No announcement yet.
X

Tips on riding in the rain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wear my rain gear and it is all good. I don't mind the rain.

I got stuck in a hail/thunder storm without rain gear last week, on the highway. That sucked!!!!

The hail was beating me up good. I had to ride for several miles before finding a highway overpass to hide under.
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

Riding in the rain isn't that bad. I've done it numerous times on a cruiser, had my first experience with it last week on the Kat...No problems, as others have said, just go slow and avoid the paint and keep atleast 4 seconds between you and a car ahead of you.

One other tip, ride in the tire path of cars ahead of you, they splash the water away only leaving the road "wet" and they'll also empty the puddles ahead of you and give you warning if they hydroplane at all.

Comment

Personally I think the worste part about heavy rain is usually the strong wind gusts that come with it.

Comment

I like riding in the rain, it's not bad if you have the gear for it....Rain suit, and water proof bags or covers for your stuff...(if you have any on your bike)....

Seems like for the past month every day there is a rain storm of some kind. So i've been getting my share of the wet. But just b e z on the throttle and brakes and ur fine....I also love the looks u get from cagers when your motoring at 70 down the interstate and they pass by and look at ya like ur crazy I just smile and give em a thumbs up...I dont give a chit...i love riding, rain, or shine.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by yellowK View Post
            How about corners/curves at speed? It was a little unnerving... Judging from some test stops I did, I had lots of grip, but it was hard to fight that 'it's gonna come out from under ya' feeling during cornering.

Thoughts?
            the first kr rally i rode the dragon in the rain i had alot fun except for the fact nobody joined me and that included the normal traffic

Comment

another thing to do to practice riding in the rain is wait until after it stops raining and the roads are still very wet, go out and try some corners, stopping, starting, shifting, and find out what you are comfortable with, gain some experience on the wet stuff. That way you only have to contend with the wet road, not the rain that is coming down as well. After you do this a few times rain is nothing more than a high speed bike wash.
              Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by SGTJimbo_Kat600 View Post
                another thing to do to practice riding in the rain is wait until after it stops raining and the roads are still very wet, go out and try some corners, stopping, starting, shifting, and find out what you are comfortable with, gain some experience on the wet stuff. That way you only have to contend with the wet road, not the rain that is coming down as well. After you do this a few times rain is nothing more than a high speed bike wash.

Comment

Rain? What is "rain"?

San Diego, California

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Rain? What is "rain"?

San Diego, California
                    I think I don't like you....
                    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Rain? What is "rain"?

San Diego, California
                      You people are spoiled living there
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

just to repeat it, never ride in the rain unless you absolutely have to. I've had to do it a dozen times and i hate it every time. If cars seem to be tailgating you don't hesitate to let them pass. Never speed up because you feel pressured either. But i'm sure you knew that...

Comment

I haven't hit hard rain thank God. Just some sprinkles, I know the winter time it will be hardcore though, and I know that's when I'll get my practice in. On the Job training one would say

Comment

i know old thread but my 2c if anyone wants to read.

i ride in the rain 6 months or more out of the year here. ive got roughly 10,000 miles logged in wet or damp conditions.

i ride slower somewhat (im pretty used to it now)
                            give myself 50% more time to slow down and to react than normal,
                            well, generally ride slower. i always keep good rubber i cant ride bald tires cali style you know? that helps alot.

DO NOT tailgate!

i am super cautious and dont lean on tar strips,road joints, road turtles, or and DOT paint on the road its all super slick.

also. ride in the line of cage tires. middle of the lane is a no-no.

on the freeway your pretty darn safe. i can go 70 in the 70 etc no problem. the trick is in town.

as far as leaning, lets say when its dry i lean my bike as much as allowed. well, in the rain i lean it 60% or less than id allow myself in the dry.

also, practicing braking in wet weather will give you a great feel for how to handle situations. its slick out there you need to to master your brake skill.

Comment

try to remember that most bridges have a steel plate for expansion in hot and cold weather......they can get a bit slippery in the rain and even in the heat

Comment

^^^^ +1.

randomly-

use both brakes,
                                manhole covers beware

easy on your throttle unless you like to drift in traffic.

ok ok ok im done.

Comment

Working...
                                X