X

Want to try it....but I'm nervous

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to try it....but I'm nervous

All of you guys who are experienced are about to call me an idiot and tell me to never try this....but I am curious.....

I've gotten my Kat to jump at a start hard enough to get ALL of the slack out of the front suspension....I'm pretty sure I can get the front wheel off the ground, but I don't know how to do it 'safely' (for lack of a better word). I've been dying to try, but I'm scared as hell to! Any hints would be great...I'm not looking to pop a wheelie all the way down the road, but would like any hints on getting that front wheel up without killing myself before I try it based on my lack of wit. I'm a firm believer in trial by error, but I don't much feel like experimenting with this on my own. Its an 06 750, so I dont even know if it'll do it.

Yes I am dumb enough to give it a shot!!

Full leathers, a good helmet, boots and gloves, and hit a real drag strip.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

its quite easy for me on my 600, just dump the clutch with higher rpms (for me usually around 6-8k) it lifts about 2 ft for me and its really not so far too dangerous as it last for a split second, everyones hates on trying this but if your like me curiosity gets the best of you
      New Ride

Sold Kat

Comment

Originally posted by seler12 View Post
        All of you guys who are experienced are about to call me an idiot and tell me to never try this....but I am curious.....

I've gotten my Kat to jump at a start hard enough to get ALL of the slack out of the front suspension....I'm pretty sure I can get the front wheel off the ground, but I don't know how to do it 'safely' (for lack of a better word). I've been dying to try, but I'm scared as hell to! Any hints would be great...I'm not looking to pop a wheelie all the way down the road, but would like any hints on getting that front wheel up without killing myself before I try it based on my lack of wit. I'm a firm believer in trial by error, but I don't much feel like experimenting with this on my own. Its an 06 750, so I dont even know if it'll do it.

Yes I am dumb enough to give it a shot!!
        This is how you do a wheelie
        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

I have the same bike and I use the clutch slip method, just do a google video search "how to do a wheelie", but it has enough juice to power the wheel up on its own a few inches while coming out of tight curves.
          sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
            I have the same bike and I use the clutch slip method, just do a google video search "how to do a wheelie", but it has enough juice to power the wheel up on its own a few inches while coming out of tight curves.
            I also have the same ride, and she will get some air shifting from first to second during "spirited" acceleration. Granted, not a wheelie per se, but I don't feel the need to blow out my fork seals just to "squid", or as we used to call it "showboating".
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

There is a pretty in depth description of how to do a wheelie in one of the stickies in the section.

"Riding tips---outline" Is the title.

Comment

First gear , give gas , let off , get back on again quickly . It'll come up a bit that way . Safer than trying to dump the clutch . Called a "throttle bounce" ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Took mine down the the road standing strait up! The hard part is the landing. Done with that now that I did it don't want to blow out the fork seals this is very hard on them Cat's are very heavy.

Comment

I'd like to add that I've never had the front end all the way up on this bike, I have brought it up a few inches and no more than that, I am not into changing the fork seals just for the sake of showing off.
                    sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

also remember you dont have a steering stabilizer, if you come down with the forks turned, you'll high side your @ss right off the bike or tank slap and meet some rash......im replacing forks this weekend cause i cant keep my front end down...nitrous will point you in the sky everytime

Comment

"also remember you dont have a steering stabilizer, if you come down with the forks turned, you'll high side your @ss right off the bike or tank slap and meet some rash......im replacing forks this weekend cause i cant keep my front end down...nitrous will point you in the sky everytime"

Replacing, as in the whole tube or just seals?
                        "The Strongest Steel Must Be Forged In The Hottest Fires"

Comment

Using the clutch is a very bad way to do a wheelie its hard on parts. Do the on-off-on to get the wheel up or just buy a duelsport and have fun also cheaper to fix.
                          My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
                          Other bikes:
                          2 1985 CR500
                          1 1987 CR500
                          1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

I blew the fork seasl on my friends 99 Honda CBR. THEy must have been real dried out from sitting for 8 years! I had the clutch up wheelies pretty good until I came down hard.. =( $250 mistake!

On my GSXR I'm not wanting to beat on it and clutch up.. I do have the on off down pretty good but have a hard time maintaining the wheelie for more then acouple throttle adjustments..
                            2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
                            Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
                            2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Youtube has a couple videos of guys doing it, but from what I've seen just about everyone recommends not doing it.
                              Life is a really long ride. Make sure you do it in style.

Comment

Working...
                              X