X

Gear Shift

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Shift

How do I tell if my gear shift needs to be moved up/down? Being a new rider, I feel muscle usage on top of my foot and shin.. Not sure if thats indication of non used muscle or if the gear shift is too high/low for me..

I'm 6'4..

Ok.. Maybe I jumped too fast.. I just got my Vega Touring boots in today.. So thats probably why I hurt LOL.. I need to break them in..
    Last edited by Storm; 05-22-2008, 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I moved mine to where it is the most confy and easy to shift. It might be too high if there is strain on your shin, that's what I figured out.

I adjusted mine to sit about right on top of my foot when I am cruising down the road with my foot below the shifter, so when I downshift I don't have to lift my foot off of the peg to knock it down a gear. I do ride with my toe down far though. I am about 6'1" though.

Comment

Thats my problem.. I have to lift my foot off the peg to downshift.. It's like slightly above the peg.. Now to figure out how to remove it

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
        Thats my problem.. I have to lift my foot off the peg to downshift.. It's like slightly above the peg.. Now to figure out how to remove it
        You definitely shouldn't have to lift your foot off the peg to shift.

Did you bend it on your little parking lot accident?
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
          You definitely shouldn't have to lift your foot off the peg to shift.

Did you bend it on your little parking lot accident?
          No not at all.. It's been like that since I bought the bike.. I just didn't know until today it could be adjusted LOL..

The parking lot accident wasn't a complete drop.. I actually laid the bike down my self.. When it started going I couldn't hold the weight with my legs so I used my strength to gently lay it down on the ground.. Reason why not got damaged, scraped, broke etc.. Now if I had just jumped off and let it slam the ground it probably woulda broke everything LOL

Comment

Not to derail this thread, but kinda a similar situation (being 6'3" and a noobie)....but I was wondering if my brake pedal needs to be moved. With my normal riding position, my foot rests below the pedal. I presume this is incorrect? Should I adjust it so its lower and my foot hovers above or level with it?

thx
            1999 220 KDX
            2003 450 KTM
            2003 Softail Std
            2000 Katana 750
            2004 ZZR1200

Comment

Wow
              i didnt know you could adjust them?

...now to figure out how to do that

Comment

To help break in those boots go buy a bottle of saddle soap,rub it into them real well with a little water-then treat with mink oil..they will feel great
                “What you own is your own kingdom
                What you do is your own glory
                What you love is your own power
                What you live is your own story” -Niel Peart

Comment

Originally posted by hinmo View Post
                  Not to derail this thread, but kinda a similar situation (being 6'3" and a noobie)....but I was wondering if my brake pedal needs to be moved. With my normal riding position, my foot rests below the pedal. I presume this is incorrect? Should I adjust it so its lower and my foot hovers above or level with it?

thx
                  It sounds like it needs to be adjusted, it should be below your foot.

Some people drop their's down even lower so that the rear brake will be difficult to lock up when pressed down.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

There is a nut on the backside (where the brake connects to the bike) loosen that up, pull the pedal off and adjust as needed....Really simple to do!

I moved mine on accident (i was messin around tearing things apart) And it didnt feel right unless i put it back where the manufacturer puts it. There's dimples to line up the notches if you can't remember where she was before. I'd suggest only moving one notch at a time and seeing how it feels.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X