X
X

The Best Writing I Have Seen On Noobs and Sportbikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kawasaki did a BRILLIANT thing when they made the 250 look more like the 600. The new 250 takes the "looks" argument and throws it out of the window.

I was looking to go after a 250 or 500 as a starter bike but i fell to the argument of a 600. I would say that its more the style of 600 that affects things. Yes a supersport 600 will not hesitate to hurt and theres so many people I know here with a 6 SS and it bites them in the ***

I will say that something like the Katana 600 or if you step down a bit farther a Yamaha SecaII 600 can be great bikes to start out on. To be honest I find the katana 600 to be a very forgiving girl. The power dosent come on instantly so if you decide to yank too much she gives you a second to realize what youve done.

So thats where I stand. It depends on the 600 as to what your getting yourself into. And for most people.. the 250/500 is a much better choice. Simply for this one reason. They are considerbly more upright and make learning basics that much easier to accomplish (side to the dualsports)

BTW kweef you will be scared at first and your speed will pick up... and up... and up... and up. So throw the logic that youll take it easy out of the window.
    Last edited by Imagin; 09-16-2008, 02:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

DC Born..Maryland Bred

I will never be forgotten. I will only fade as time goes on from your consious thoughts.

Comment

I guess I'm just confused.

To Me, the cc size of the bike has nothing to do with the first time rider. Taking a good riding course to learn the basics and then being mature enough to ride with restraint are the keys. I started out with Old KZ750 when I was in the Navy in San Diego and did just fine. My wife just started this year with a 89 Katana 600 and she is learning and doing just fine. So all the arguments for a smaller 250-500 or the other side looks and being cool with the other riders is all 'BULL". Just my 2 cents. -Bill

Comment

Great article... too bad I already bought my first bike. A 600, BUT I did take the riders course.

Comment

I completed MSF, bought a 600 Kat and felt comfortable. Guess I don't know what I don't know. Not sure why that is not a recommended strategy.
          What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Imagin View Post
            BTW kweef you will be scared at first and your speed will pick up... and up... and up... and up. So throw the logic that youll take it easy out of the window.
            Yes, just remember ride with fear.... ride like no one sees you, and dress like your going to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
              ...and dress like your going to crash.
              Pajamas?
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I was thinkin something along the lines of star wars...

Comment

hell my first bike almost killed me!!! it was a honda trail 50 and my stupid 8 year old a$$ rode it right in front of a truck. great find though. and a good read. thanks

Comment

i like this thread it helps out alot

Comment

Great article. I took the MSF class 3 summers ago and never owned a bike (or rode one in my life before or since) until I bought my 750 in May frm CL. I read the Kat was a good beginner bike and so I liked the specs and bought it. I did not want a starter bike because I assumed I would grow into the bike and I was not/am not looking to sell it.

I actually did quite well for my first 4-5 times with practicing in the local HS parking lot and side streets by driving slowly. I also successfully rode through rush hour traffic to and from the shop for an oil change. As part of my weekend practices, I tried to work on simple drills like starts, stops, and turns in the nearby high school parking lot. Unfortunately, after riding it 10 miles to work one gorgeous Saturday, I got distracted because of an elevated turn down the road that caused me anxiety because I never had ridden that stretch of road before. Well, I stalled the bike while starting up from a stoplight and went down at a low speed. That mistake hurt my body and my pride, notwithstanding my gear.

Well, in hindsight I'd like to have had a tiny bike that was 27" off the ground and 100 pounds. But, hey it was a painful lesson I will never forget and I learned a lot to prevent another one. In my case, no amount of practice would've caused me to not have worried about the elevated turn (which ironically was rather easy to clear since I had to go that way to get home). That said, the basic skills of throttle/clutch balance were what beat me and that skill set is something newbies do have to gain through practice.

I still like the power of this bike, the looks, and the value of what I bought. I don't plan to outgrow this bike and I am happy with the bike. Just like the article said, the bike will do what you tell it (and fail to tell it) to do. Thanks for the post!

My 1st bike & 3rd Child: Midnight Blue 2005 Kat 750

(Something for the faster-moving projectile fan in us all:
                      http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.as...4238689A5F27F0 )

Comment

I wish I had people around to tell me this when I started riding 8 years ago. My first bike was a 750 and IMO now thats a lot of bike to start on. I have a friend that has never rode a bike before that is convinced he wants to buy a busa and i cant seem to change his mind. He thinks because he drives an STI it wont be much differance. He dosent know how wrong he is.
                        Ride within your limits. Not sombody elses.

sigpic
                        88 GSX1100F Kat

Comment

so my 750 was a bad choice for my first bike

ok ill go trade it in for a 250 ninja
                          voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                          82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                          83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

It all depends on the person..
                            Ride within your limits. Not sombody elses.

sigpic
                            88 GSX1100F Kat

Comment

^ yes, i know with how i am if i would have baught a 1000 id be dead. I know other people who could get a 500,000cc nitro rocket that would be more responsable..... dosnt happen often (which is why people typically reccomend small first bikes) but it happens...

Comment

Its not the power, its how forgiving the bike is.

It's a whole lot harder to get a katana to tankslap then a GSXR. Noob on katana tankslaps he will probably save it, same thing on a GSXR is a LOT harder to fix. Smaller, less powerful bikes are much more forgiving.
                                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X