X
X

The Best Writing I Have Seen On Noobs and Sportbikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got my first road motorcycle a couple weeks ago, its a kat 750. I dnt feel like I should have got a smaller bike, as long as your careful and have proper training I think u should get what ever bike u want. people shouldn't be worried about this but no one wants to hear someone say my bike is faster and u can't keep up or why did u buy such a little bike. but that's how ppl r sometimes

just cause your bike does 160 in 8 seconds doesn't mean u need to twist the throttle like that when u first start

oh and p.s. I have been riding dirtbikes for years lol
    Last edited by xXstreetbikedethXx; 08-09-2011, 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Very Good Article
      My Ideal woman (Indigo Rose).... she's beautiful even whens she's dirty, she lets me ride her all day and doesn't complain, and when I touch her she always screams....
      sigpic

Comment

• Love the article. I'll recommend it to anyone about to buy their first bike.
        My current '98 GSX 750F is my first bike. I'm still learning a lot and I've found that she is quite forgiving. But when I feel her pushing as I slightly loosen my grip on the clutch lever at an intersection, I'm happy I didn't go with my first idea: a '98 YZF1000 thunderace or a '98 GSX 750R.
        Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

• Very helpful
          1997 KAT 600 PROJECT

Comment

• I read the first post to the end and I have to agree with it. Even though I bought a 93 Kat750 for my first "real" bike, I first learned what being a rider is in much smaller machines, and I mean smaller! They really gave me the notion of what riding in traffic is and to always be careful of the drivers.
            Now I'm on a completely different level and I have a long way ahead of me to master the big bikes but the respect and carefulness are very much implanted in my brain

Just for the sakes of it, here are my first 2 bikes, I started riding them when I was 25, because a new law came out that let whoever had a car driver's licence to ride <125cc bikes and before that I never bothered to get the licence. These are some 50cc oldies, portuguese made and both are 40+ years old

I thank them for introducing me to the two-wheels world.

Comment

• I read this entire thread yesterday and as luck would have it, my brother decided to call me to discuss getting a motorcycle today. First, I convinced him to take a riders safety course to gain confidence and basic knowledge. I then presented reasons (all directly from this post) for him to start off with a smaller bike such as the Ninja 250. Low and behold, for one of the first times in our sibling lives, he is taking my advice.

Thanks to all that added bits along the way!

Comment

• Originally posted by mELIANTE View Post
                I read the first post to the end and I have to agree with it. Even though I bought a 93 Kat750 for my first "real" bike, I first learned what being a rider is in much smaller machines, and I mean smaller! They really gave me the notion of what riding in traffic is and to always be careful of the drivers.
                Now I'm on a completely different level and I have a long way ahead of me to master the big bikes but the respect and carefulness are very much implanted in my brain

Just for the sakes of it, here are my first 2 bikes, I started riding them when I was 25, because a new law came out that let whoever had a car driver's licence to ride <125cc bikes and before that I never bothered to get the licence. These are some 50cc oldies, portuguese made and both are 40+ years old

I thank them for introducing me to the two-wheels world.
                This might sound crazy, but I love the bike in the bottom pic. I used to be big into Cafe style bikes, and to me that bike is sweet. One question though..what is it?
                If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrclean81 View Post
                  This might sound crazy, but I love the bike in the bottom pic. I used to be big into Cafe style bikes, and to me that bike is sweet. One question though..what is it?
                  That is a EFS Formula1 (yeah, the names of these little things weren't great). It has a Casal 50cc 2 stroke motor with something like 6,8hp. Portugal was big on the 50cc industry some decades ago

As a sidenote, Casal had the world speed record for a 50cc engine for a long time
                  Last edited by mELIANTE; 01-27-2012, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• I am amazed at the law in the USA. Starting to ride in the UK back in the day (a day or two ago now) you were limited to a 125cc machine. Here in NZ you are limited to a 250cc for the first couple of years (that is about to change). Maybe because of that there is very little ridicule when someone turns up for a ride on a small bike, as a matter of fact it was only last year that I sold (needed the money) a Yamaha Scorpio 225cc that I rode as a commuter everyday, loved that bike, great fun and cheap running costs or what!

A 600cc sport bike just seems crazy to me as a first time machine. This is a great article because it tries to explain why it is so daft.

I might upset a few people (sorry if I do) but if you go out and buy a 600cc crotch rocket as your first two wheeled adventure maybe you need to ask yourself why... assuming you can still write.
                    1984 750 and a 1991 600
                    sigpic

Comment

• My first bike is 93 kat 600 in fact I just got it about 2 weeks ago. But you gotta give me some credit I did want an R6 as my first bike but I changed my mind on that and I'm extremely happy with my 600 kat I think it's a great starter bike!

Comment

• Soulless, Welcome to KR. I'm also in Rock Hill. We should go for a ride sometime.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

• I'm down for a ride, but i gotta warn you I'm still learning so I might not be that fun to ride with. My brother-in-law hates riding with me. He says im too slow but what ever you only ride with what you feel comfortable with...right?

Comment

• i like the bottom one the top looks like a girls bike :P
                            voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                            82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                            83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

• Originally posted by soulless kaos View Post
                              I'm down for a ride, but i gotta warn you I'm still learning so I might not be that fun to ride with. My brother-in-law hates riding with me. He says im too slow but what ever you only ride with what you feel comfortable with...right?
                              Should schedule it for a day when my son isn't working. He's still a fairly new rider too, and still working on getting used to his new bike. Doesn't bother me nearly as much to ride with someone that is slow and cautious, as it does to ride with someone that's trying to ride fast and unsafe, just trying to show off. If or when we do ride together, just ride your own pace. I'm used to following slower riders.
                              John,
                              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                              sigpic

Comment

• Great write up I am a new rider on a street bike.. regardless that I have experience on quads and dirt bikes, I dont have much experience if any at all on my 1990 Katana 600.. I got it because it was an offer I couldnt refuse since my friend was selling it cheap to me I didnt get it for the looks or to show off etc.. he let me ride it around in a empty parking lot to get a feel for it.. I'll admit I was a little nervous at first then got a little more comfortable with the bike.. Ill also admit the bike does intimidate me.. I plan on taking the learning courses before I put the bike on the road to gain knowledge and the safety stuff.. I didnt know anything about counter steering until I read a post on this thread... needless to say I have a lot to learn

Comment

Working...
                                X