X

Kinda nervous about my toe...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda nervous about my toe...

i've had a few bikes in my day, but the kat i have now is my first sports bike. i've had it a couple of months now, my skills are getting better, i'm laying it over (not dropping...!) more, but here's the deal:

when i lean into a left hander, i find myself moving my foot above the shifter for fear of scraping something. like a toe. this means, of course, that its harder to upshift and accelerate out of the turn until my bike has uprighted a bit.

i tell myself (and my toe) thats its probably all in my mind, but at this point i either have to rig up some kind or rope and pulley system to lean the bike over and take some measurements, or ??? i mean, i can see myself dragging a knee around a corner because i'm in control of it and can move it in or out to meet the pavement. if i lean over and catch my boot under my shifter (which, again, may or may not be possible...) theres no place for it to go and i may freak out and crash.

i just need someone who knows to take pity on me and tell me the real deal. probably after they stop laughing hysterically.

Lets just suffice it to say, to drag your toe, on a hard left or right turn, that you'd already be sliding. Unless you are riding with the foot under the footpeg somehow, you wont hit. I've lowsided on the freeway before. There was very little damage to the shoe LOL
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Toe

Dont ride bare foot wear riding boots!

Comment

Buy a pair of sport boots, they have toe sliders attached in case you do drag your foot.
        25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Dude, get a friend and lean the f'n bike way over; visualizing how far that actually is. You're probably not as close as you think you are to scraping a peg.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

First off , be in the right gear for the turn so when you accell , you don't run out of revs . Second , you shouldn't be shifting mid-corner anyway . Third , you want the balls of your feet on the pegs so your toes are as far away from the pavement as you can get them . If you have fat feet , you STILL may scrape them , but riding boots with sliders will help with that . Your feet won't catch , they'll slide . Fourth , BUY THE FREAKIN BOOK !!!!!!!
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Read the book, it will help with riding position (foot placement) setting up for a corner, looking through corners for your escape. Just about everything you need to know.

Like MD86 said the balls of your feet should be on the pegs so you can move freely on your seat.
              25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Yeah, what md86 said.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

if you're dragging toe then you're more than likely dragging peg as well which is a bad thing. Get your butt off the seat, oh and if you position the ball of your foot on the peg you're less likely to drag it. It's all about positioning
                  Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
                  fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
                  fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
                  girls = yammah
                  yammah = a bunch of liars

Comment

Listen to md86, I got the same advice from him a few years back and have not had my toe sliders hit the pavement since.

Bad foot placement.

Better foot placement.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

As everyone else has said, the only thing I would ad is stop thinking so much about it, relax, relax your arms and put the weight onto the peg, push down while you have the ball of your foot on the peg,

If you are needing to change gear mid corner then you are in the wrong gear.

Try Youtube for videos on how to do this.

Comment

I drop my foot for comfort sometimes but after scaping it a few times,you tend to remember to move your foot when your realy ralling.if you do scap it's more of a oh shiat than a problem.

Comment

thanks for all the replies...

so, i was kinda right to be worried. what i've been doing is downshifting into a turn, trying to pick the right gear so i could then move my foot above the shifter and get set on the peg for the turn. which is what you're saying to do.

it's just that there are times when i'm just past the apex, the rpms are starting to come up and it feels like i would want to upshift. i guess i just need to let the engine take the revs and maybe slow down out of the turn? or stop trying to be ricky racer and just enjoy the turn rather than straighten it out?

anyway, thanks for the advice. i know the way i explained it was kinda funny / stupid, and i'm sure that book (or several others, probably...) would explain it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by toastershakins View Post
                            thanks for all the replies...

1.so, i was kinda right to be worried. what i've been doing is downshifting into a turn

2.stop trying to be ricky racer and just enjoy
                            yup stop 1 and do 2.

Comment

Originally posted by toastershakins View Post
                              i guess i just need to let the engine take the revs and maybe slow down out of the turn?
                              You should be accelerating out of a turn. The MSF course stresses that and it works. You should slow down enough before leaning the bike over so you can accelerate out of the turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X