X

question about shifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about shifting

when driving a car i usually change gears at 3000....now when riding my bike i feel like im abusing the bike when i go to 4000 or even 5000....does it hurt the engine when i stay at 5000....when do you guys usually change gears...

Well, it depends on riding conditions (level vs hills, twisty or straight, etc) but in city riding I usualy shift around 5500-6500 rpm, and I cruise in the 4500-5000 range (on the highway its nearer to 6500 rpm).

It will not hurt your engine to stay at 5000 RPM. Remember, your car red lines a lot sooner then your motorcycle.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

You're solid if you're in that range. -You won't hurt the bike.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Your motorcycle is a high rpm engine, it's meant to go that high without burning oil or causing long term damage to the engine.

And if you never get past 5k rpm, you haven't even hit the peak of the power band!
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

5000 rpm is just the start of some good fun.

Comment

is it normal to hear a "crack" sound (not like something is breaking) when shifting gears...its not loud, but i hear it...when i shift gears i usually hear that, and i dont know if im doing something wrong or if its normal to hear that....

Comment

I had this question too when I started riding.. You'll certainly hear something "crack" or "chink" when shifting, especially in 1st and 2nd gears. I assume you're using the clutch right? 1st gear sound especially bad, don't exactly know why.

You also hear the same noises in cars as well, except you're enclosed and it buffers the sound. Turn your ignition on (but not the engine) and shift, you'll hear 'Clinking" sounds as you change gears.

Remember this, on a bike, YOU are directly connected to the engine, in fact, you're part of the suspension. So, the sounds may seem unusual at best and "Oh my god, this thing is going to fall apart" at worst.
              The only reason I get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

My kitchen is Burgandy. I don't apologize.

Comment

yes im using the clutch...but what had me wondering was the fact that sometimes i feel it more than other times...i've had 4 cars and the only automatic is the truck i have right now...i try not to, but i keep comparing my bike to the cars i've had and you are right, when driving a car you are enclosed, in this case you are riding the machine...i didnt know if i was shifting too early or just not using the clutch right....

Comment

Well, if the clutch lever is all the way in.. you really can't do a whole lot bad to the tranny. Not using the clutch correctly usually means you're letting it out too early and not matching revv's before you let go of the clutch lever. When this happens, you will actually feel the jerk of the drivetrain engaging. Not too great on the clutch but you can do a whole lot worse on the bike.

Just for grins, I went outside after your post and actually listened to my bike as I shifted through the gears. I shifted at 4,000 then I did a spell shifting at 9,000 (Speed racer style). The bike does jerk a bit more and you have to throttle it a bit as let the clutch out. At 9K, you just snap that clutch in and out without any real finesse at all. I really couldn't hear the gear changes though, the engine was too loud.

Disclaimer: If you're a newbie at riding, (heck, I'm even a newbie somewhat) I wouldn't recommend running your bike up past 5-6K on the tach, get used to clutch control at lower RPM"s first then the high rpm stuff is real easy.
                  The only reason I get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

My kitchen is Burgandy. I don't apologize.

Comment

i guess im still getting used to the bike and the sounds...just like everyone says, practice, practice...with time i'll get better

Comment

HEHEH YAH I noticed on the Kats that engaging into 1st out of neutral and downshifting in the lower gears is a bit noisy.. I guess it's just a tight tranny! can't really compain till it stops putting the power to the pavement!

The bike of course tends to get touchy when you've got the engine at higher revs, so get used to the lower revs and work your way up. Cruising around 6k and then downshifting a gear or two to set the revs around 7-8k really winds the bike up like a top, so all you gotta do is twist the grip if the sh*t goes down and get outta there. Rinse and repeat!

-Cota
                      I WOULDN'T MESS WITH THAT BUDDY. THAT'S A LOAD BEARING ZIP TIE!

Comment

i've been riding for a while now (365 miles on my bike so far) and the clutch feels kinda "soft" compared to how it was when i first bought the bike...is that normal?? am i just getting used to the clutch??

Comment

Your probably just getting used to it. Your hand is probably just getting stronger.

Yes I'm an American, yes I have guns, and yes I won't hesitate to use them to protect my family, my property, and myself

Comment

New trannies have a break-in period .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                            X