X

stolen bikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stolen bikes

i heard alot of people are stealing bikes this summer and i'm thinking i'm especially varnarable to it because i live in an apartment complex what is the best thing i can do to prevent my bike from being stolen?what is the best kind of lock to buy etc...

A. Bring your bike inside your apartment.
    B. Rent a garage at your apartment.
    C. Rent secure storage.
    D. Buy one of CyberPoet's cycle anchors.
    E. Store your bike at a friend's house that has a garage.
    F. Get a Scorpio alarm system with pager. (assuming you have a firearm)
    G. Move.

Comment

H. Chain it to something really big and with a really strong chain.
      I. Use several of the above in combination.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

J. Just Sleep on the Kat

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I live in an apartment complex as well. I have my Kat chained to my car, a Xena alarm disk lock on the front, a Kryptonite U lock on my rear wheel, and I have a Guardian cover that goes over the whole mess and I lock that down with another cable. I still worry about it though. I'm probably going to get a paging alarm system for it as well.
          Black IS the fastest color!

Comment

I rent a garage at my apartment complex. The cost is justifiable and I can also throw a lot of junk in there from my apartment!

Today I become the bull...

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
              A. Bring your bike inside your apartment.
              B. Rent a garage at your apartment.
              C. Rent secure storage.
              D. Buy one of CyberPoet's cycle anchors.
              E. Store your bike at a friend's house that has a garage.
              F. Get a Scorpio alarm system with pager. (assuming you have a firearm)
              G. Move.

Comment

I keep mine locked outside, or in my garage. And a .22 in case of emergencies, and also as my failsafe.

It's a very safe town I live in, so it's not really an issue. I'm the only one in town with a Kat, so it's known it's MINE.
                GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Comment

it's a little late of a response and also a rather pricy one but i just got my '05 about a month ago and had LO-JACK v.2 installed on mine. The cost is around $1600 but it will let me (as well as my girlfriend, roommate and his fiance) know within about 15 seconds if the bike moves 10 feet. Hope it helps.

-Waters

Comment

once it's ten feet away it's most likely in the back of a truck and gone by the time you get to do anything.i ended up just buying a thick ass chain at the bike shop by bulldog and i put around my front forks and drape the lock and chain down on the concrete and roll over it with my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by TT120
                        I live in an apartment complex as well. I have my Kat chained to my car, a Xena alarm disk lock on the front, a Kryptonite U lock on my rear wheel, and I have a Guardian cover that goes over the whole mess and I lock that down with another cable. I still worry about it though. I'm probably going to get a paging alarm system for it as well.
                        Geez, wouldn't it have been cheaper to just MOVE??
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaBLU
                          it's a little late of a response and also a rather pricy one but i just got my '05 about a month ago and had LO-JACK v.2 installed on mine. The cost is around $1600 but it will let me (as well as my girlfriend, roommate and his fiance) know within about 15 seconds if the bike moves 10 feet. Hope it helps.

-Waters
                          $1,600???

What version of the Lo-Jack did you get? The James Bond, GPS transmitting, microwave jamming, XM blasting, carrier pigeon retrieving model? LOL
                          GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Originally posted by River
                            Originally posted by KatanaBLU

-Waters
                            $1,600???

What version of the Lo-Jack did you get? The James Bond, GPS transmitting, microwave jamming, XM blasting, carrier pigeon retrieving model? LOL
                            That's what I'm thinking. 1600 bones? Man, if it gets to the point that you're spending just as much to keep it from getting stolen as it is to replace an engine AND transmission on the bike, then you just need to find a new hobby. -I can fully insure my Kat for four years for that much.
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

geez if i thought i would get blasted on this much i would have never spoke up. you guys are vicious I don't know what to say other than I protect my investments, but to be honest i really don't need it for where i live. It's too hard to get my bike out without half the complex noticing. I'm the only one here with a bike and it usually has two disk locks on it and it's in the back corner of my carport... so yeah unless you want to have a .45 going through your vehicle as you exit the complex it can't be taken as easily as you would all think. However, if it does, that's what LO-JACK is for.

Comment

Working...
                              X