Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CStradling24 View Post
    I have had my bike now for 36 hours. I was on it nearly all day today trying to learn, and practice all the basics.

I have a hard time in subdivisions where you have so to a u-turn still which is very annoying. Quick question, do you pros prefer second gear, or first in subdivisions u-turns?

Now my story. I almost set it down last night. As close as I could possibly come to setting it down. I did not know how to get the bike on the centerstand. I tried standing next to it and that didn't work for me, then I tried to sit on it, put my foot on the centerstand and rock back as hard as I could. My foot slipped of the centerstand, and then got caught between the centerstand and the chain. I got real nervous that my foot was stuck and forgot to balance the bike. It started to go down on the right side and since my foot was still stuck we were heading to the ground together. I figured I might as well try to save the bike and I angled my knew to take the full force of my and the bike. It hurt like no other but the bikes paint never actually touched the ground. I immediately went inside and got on kr's to find out the proper way to use the center stand. No problems now

You took the impact with your knee????

OUCH!

Comment

• Originally posted by CStradling24 View Post
      I have had my bike now for 36 hours. I was on it nearly all day today trying to learn, and practice all the basics.

I have a hard time in subdivisions where you have so to a u-turn still which is very annoying. Quick question, do you pros prefer second gear, or first in subdivisions u-turns?
      First read my post on page 6 and follow that rule carefully.
      First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
      Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!

Do it all in first gear and you will have made a very steady U-turn using that technique. To sum it up, slow maneuvers like U-Turn or anything like it has to happen in first gear with the rear brake on and 2 legs up and squeezing the tank firmly.

With this, I can even move around parked cars and stuff very slowly and perfect control without "walking" on my bike Flintstone style.

Comment

• by not paying attention/showing off.. and slipping on oil at traffic lights

Comment

• i think acting like their balls are bigger then they really are is a huge factor on who goes down and who doesn't.

I been down, acting like mine were to big to fit in the saddle lol

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

• Let's see. I've dropped my bike a few times. All within 6 months of owning it. The first time I had my wife on the back. I was making a slow/sharp corner into my parking space in the garage. I pulled the clutch in to slow down the it stopped, and started to tip over. Luckly my wife just stepped off the bike no injuries to either of us.

Second time I was backing into my space at work, my foot slipped and the back started to go, I was able to catch it but couldn't bring it back up. I had to gently lower it to the side.

THIRD time, I thought I put the kickstand down all the way but didn't. Again I was able the catch it and lower it down with no damage.

But my all time noobiest and most embarrasing tip over. Some friends and I went to the Victory Vision Test Ride Tour. I was there with a few friends and a bunch of other people. There were about 20 Visions all lined up in the parking lot. They were all parked downhill on a slight incline, this is key to the story. After watching a cheesy video the tour guide took us to the bikes and told us to hop on them and get familiar with the controls. I must say this was my first and only time getting on a cruiser type bike with floor boards. I also never leave a bike parked in neutral, again key to the story.

So I am sitting on this 900 pound behemoth looking at all the fancy gadgets, electric windsheild, satalite radio, blah, blah. Having never been on a bike with floorboards I put BOTH feet up onto the floorboards not realizing the previous rider had left the bike in neutral...on an incline...pointing downhill. I think you all know what happened next. Yup the bike slowly rolled off the kickstand.

Again I was able to catch it, but I had no way of muscling this monstrous bike back upright. But I didn't want to lay a $20,000 bike onto its side. So I'm standing there holding this bike not knowing what to do. This is when the tour guide comes running over and procedes to use my situation as a lecture for the rest of the 30 odd people that were there. OMG I wanted to die.

Turns out those smart engineers at Victory installed little tip over nubs on the floor boards so you can tip it over and not damage a thing. Lucky as we were leaving the parking lot to start the tour there was a guy who felt sorry for me. He tipped HIS bike over throwing his wife off the back of the bike. He made me fell a little better.

Comment

• Well, this is my first post so it may as well be embarrassing...

Got my Kat 600 this week, delivered to my garage and I thought I'd be smart and get acquainted with it before I ventured out. I put it up on the centre-stand without too much trouble and lubed the chain, etc. So when I was ready to finally take it out on the road for its maiden voyage I stood next to the bike and pulled it back to take it off the stand and it was leaning slightly away from me... holy crap that beast is heavy. Thankfully it made contact with a soft plastic garbage can that prevented all but the peg from making contact with the garage floor.

I was in a panic to right the bike before anybody saw what I had done (sigh....), thankfully just hours before I found and watched a great video on YouTube. Honestly I never imagined I'd be using that particular technique that quickly. I had to chill out for a few minutes so my legs could stop shaking but then I was off. Thankfully my riding experience has been absolutely incredible and that drop was a great, and early, reminder that you've always got to have your head about you when you're handling bikes.

BTW, GREAT site guys - it has helped me more than you can imagine.

Brad

Comment

• literally drop???

I thought poster meant dropped as in lower, but after reading replies, he meant making it fall... lol

Comment

• Originally posted by BradsKat View Post
                  Well, this is my first post so it may as well be embarrassing...

Got my Kat 600 this week, delivered to my garage and I thought I'd be smart and get acquainted with it before I ventured out. I put it up on the centre-stand without too much trouble and lubed the chain, etc. So when I was ready to finally take it out on the road for its maiden voyage I stood next to the bike and pulled it back to take it off the stand and it was leaning slightly away from me... holy crap that beast is heavy. Thankfully it made contact with a soft plastic garbage can that prevented all but the peg from making contact with the garage floor.

I was in a panic to right the bike before anybody saw what I had done (sigh....), thankfully just hours before I found and watched a great video on YouTube. Honestly I never imagined I'd be using that particular technique that quickly. I had to chill out for a few minutes so my legs could stop shaking but then I was off. Thankfully my riding experience has been absolutely incredible and that drop was a great, and early, reminder that you've always got to have your head about you when you're handling bikes.

BTW, GREAT site guys - it has helped me more than you can imagine.

Brad
                  Your story begs a good question. What IS the proper technique to take a bike OFF the center stand?
                  WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

• Originally posted by djct_watt View Post
                    Your story begs a good question. What IS the proper technique to take a bike OFF the center stand?
                    I usually get on the bike so I can have both feet on the ground and control the drop rate by using the front brake. Other times, I'm standing on the pegs in gear, and rock it once really hard to knock her down. As soon as the rear wheel hits the ground I'm off and cruisin'
                    sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

• Back when i first started riding ('86) I laid my first bike, a Honda CX500 deluxe, down several times at under 5mph in gravel parkinglots by locking up the front wheel. I also almost lost it at the end of a freeway offramp when I hit the brakes to stop at the red light, I was riding in the center of the lane and a car had conveniently overheated leaving that nice green slime that's hard to see at night . My Katana's been on the ground a few times, all but one was side stand related, either sidestand sinking in mud, or side stand on something solid and tires sinking lol. Also laid it down pulling off good pavement straight onto a gravel road to turn around once, had too much front brake applied so it locked up and slapped it down instantly as soon as the front tire left the pavement (under 10mph).
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

• What I do now - with great success - is to put the side stand down, then stand on the right side of the bike with my right hand on the break and left hand on the rear grab-bar and slowly push it forward off the centre stand. By using the break I take it down very slowly and with a slight bit of pressure pulling the bike towards me. Worst case scenario if I do lose it to the other side it will be pretty controlled and the side-stand gives me a chance at catching it. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Brad

Comment

• I dropped my Kat about a million times when I first bought it (she's my first bike)....my bigest issue was pushing it on wet grass. Thankfully I haven't forgotten the side stand....but I will say a huge issue I had was keeping the weight where it needed to be because as soon as it starts to get away from you, It might as well already be on the ground. It happens...One of the latest times I dropped it I was standing still straddling the bike on grass, and she just got away from me...still boggles my mind how it happened!

Comment

• Why are you on wet grass?
                            WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

• Originally posted by seler12 View Post
                              One of the latest times I dropped it I was standing still straddling the bike on grass, and she just got away from me...still boggles my mind how it happened!
                              I'm sure you are not the only one boggled by this!! you can add me to the list.
                              sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

• going into a turn to deep and to fast

Comment

Working...
                                X