Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katana28
    i do believe that the course does help, but in like any other activity (like learning how to drive a car), experience and time is the best way to learn...
    I kind of agree to what you are saying but I would put it just slightly in a different way...

Both the course and the experience are important, I think both are mandatory to become a good rider. It's true, practice and real life experience are really good training. But a course, whether you paid for it, got it from your father or whatever as long as a pro rider teaches you the right things, is where you benefit from the actual knowledge of what and why you do such and such. Of course you can look at what others do and somewhat imitate what they do and feel some improvement, but nothing is better than understanding what you are doing.

An example: I spoke with a guy the other day, he has been riding for 15 years with his friends. Neither him or his friends had taken any class.
    We talked about cornering and he was still thinking what is commonly assumed by people about cornering, that he was hanging off to help lean the bike more... I tried to explain him that it was in fact to help the bike stay more upright but he would not listen to me "since he had been riding for 15 years...."
    The thing is that in essence he was doing the proper thing, the hanging off and all... But with the wrong principle in mind, the wrong visualization of the maneuver. So I'm pretty sure that he could improve his cornering even more by realizing that and really trying to keep the bike more upright...

Every pros, they go to classes to get all what they need to learn to be the best and benefit from other's experiences.
    So I would agree with you and just would make both experience and classes on the same level of importance. To me at least, It's more than just something that helps.
    If you are at your best, you are safer for yourself I think.
    I'm even considering taking advanced classes on the track, I found a place with pro trainers. They will certainly give me additional tricks that are very profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by katana28
      Originally posted by River
      I had a near miss last week. I was making a quick exit to beat the traffic because I just wanted to get home.

Was braking, making a right turn and the bike just locked up - the right side was going down and 1/2 way down, I was just screaming in my helmet "Noooooooo, you're NOT going down!" and by sheer terror and brute force, just righted the bike back up while still standing astride.
      LOL...lucky you...if people could only hear what we all say while wearing the helmet...i've cursed people out, i sing, and talk to myself...i might be going crazy, but its fun!!
      Oh, so it's not just me then. I feel better now, thanks.
      GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Waving with the RIGHT hand!

the other day I did that thanking a cager for giving me some room to get into the left lane to make a left turn at a light! Guess I was so astonished that an SUV would move over for me.

Bike went wobbly and I nearly hit the median. Total noob move! Goes to show, need to have head in the game and focused at all times.
        2001 Katana 600

Comment

Just wanted to thank Slamcool again for the advice. The technique has improved both starting on a hill and slow maneuvers. Good tip for anybody running into the same issues as I was.

Thanks.
          The Armor of God - Never leave home without it!

Comment

i would say the reason i dropped mine... taking a curve and leaning without paying enough attention to gravel on the road.. or water even

Comment

my bike loves the ground i cant keep it away from it!

parked in neutral (only once)
              gravel
              gravel
              push starting gone wrong
              push starting gone wrong (twice in the same hour!)
              me thats all me.... and when i drop it its almost impossible to get it back up...
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

I dropped mine the first time because I was adjusting my radio and accidentally hit the winshield wiper button which distracted me
                2002 GSX-R750
                2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

pay attention to dumb women drives who dont use their signal and just slam on the brakes because they missed their left turn

Comment

Also, as Mharrison said... I parked my bike in the grass several nights and the last night I did. I woke the next morning for work and the bike leaned against the house (almost completely over). I have a scuffed headlight now. GRRRRR....
                    Chris Lovett
                    Yazoo City, MS
                    2006 Katana 600

Comment

Sliders should be mandatory for all riders
                      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by clovett View Post
                        Also, as Mharrison said... I parked my bike in the grass several nights and the last night I did. I woke the next morning for work and the bike leaned against the house (almost completely over). I have a scuffed headlight now. GRRRRR....
                        Dang Chris, you can't catch a break can you! I think we can get it clear with some compound and polish.
                        -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                        -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

I gonna jinks myself here. Never dropped or crashed a street bike. Now on dirt is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier View Post
                            Sliders should be mandatory for all riders

why dont they make sliders stock???? It would be what a $100 investment tops for suzuki. Im sure it would be a good marketing ploy to get customers too.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                              Or use the rear brake .
                              +1
                              '06 600 Katana
                              http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
                              Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
                              Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                                why dont they make sliders stock???? It would be what a $100 investment tops for suzuki. Im sure it would be a good marketing ploy to get customers too.
                                Because the get people coming in to buy new plastic when they dump them!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                                X