Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 95 katana View Post
    has anyone ever shortened their kick on here? mine seems to be too tall and my bike wants to stand almost straight up when i park it

Yes, it can be done easily and would be needed if the bike has been lowered.

You cut a section out of the middle, and weld it back together. It's just steel, so nothing major on doing that.

We just lowered Badfaerie's bike and took 1" out of the kickstand so it would lean correctly.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Originally posted by sekter View Post
      after picking up my Kat last tuesday, getting it home (my brother rode it home) I took it for a spin around the block. the ride went great, I pull back to the house and ALMOST dropped it.
      I took mine out on the street for the first time yesterday and almost dropped it at a stop sign with a bunch of traffic behind me.

I was trying to make a turn, popped the clutch by accident and the jump forward almost pulled her down. It was about all I could do to keep her from falling. I see that some more clutch control practice is in my future.

Comment

• I was always told low speed turning is a major cause to drop a bike. That's one of the reasons I wanted a Kat as my first street bike, it's heavy as a ***** so I figured cornering on that would make cornering on an R6 or GSXR, not easier, but less prone to drops at low speeds.

I've seen a couple bikers whilst in my car that hit the front brake too hard (and probably no back brake), get bounced off the bike.

Comment

• First drop- hit sand and juiced it then grabbed the front brake at 15kph (from lowside to highside) landed on a curb demoed my right right side plastic

Second drop- Parking lot incline foot to far out by the time the bike hit my knee it was to late oh and in front of a bunch of hotties never seen a bike picked up so fast Rotfl. Felt way worse than the first time hurt my back picking my pride up off the ground and on the right side again nothing left to scratch so thats a plus

Almost went down a third time hit sand again but saved it you live you learn just try and do it safely

Comment

• My problem is always when I have to stop somewhere where the road is sloping to one side or the other...there seem to be lots of places like that around where I live cause it's a rather hilly place. I absolutely hate that with a passion...but I am getting more used to it now, slowly but surely...hehe.

I never seem to have problems anywhere else...
            Oh and the driveway cause it's rough and kinda slopey too...
            Last edited by Discord; 08-26-2011, 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            ~Aspiring Wrench Wench lol...
            ~The 150 and the Kat...

Comment

• Dropped a buddys of mine hile turning on gravel and hit the front brake to stop

Comment

• the only time ive dropped my bike was when i woke up hung over and i was told to move it... note to self. dont walk a bike when you just woke up and are hung over lmao.. i didnt have fairings on it so no damagae (still no fairings now lol).

i litterally grew up on a harley so im used to VERY heavey bikes. just not drunk :P

EDIT! ooo ya i almost dropped it a few times when i was riding with a passanger goin into a stop. i didnt have the handlebars straight enough and i started to lean ALOT lol. kept it up tho. just had to fight gravity for a second or two
                Last edited by boomer_95; 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM.
                if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

• Didn't look where I wanted to end up.. Looked where the obstacle waws.
                  My Ideal woman (Indigo Rose).... she's beautiful even whens she's dirty, she lets me ride her all day and doesn't complain, and when I touch her she always screams....
                  sigpic

Comment

• when i first got my 600 kat which was the first streetbike for me. the thing that caught me of gaurd was the weight if your not paying attention rock a little to far to the left or right. before you know it your picking it up. it took me a little bit to get used to.
                    when in doubt power out sally!!!!

Comment

• I dropped my bike today at the gas pump when the stand slipped in oil... and it broke the clutch level. Good thing I could just push started it but I had to make a few unnecessary right turns so I didn't have to stop.
                      noob move on my part

Comment

• Always have the front brake on when getting on. II dropped mine when I failed to get my leg over (fat ******* in tight leathers) it rolled forwards off stand and onto me. Scratched fairing abit but was very funny.

Comment

• i've only dropped a bike when trying to do slow speed maneuvers.
                          i'd say thats got to be up there in the top reasons people drop there bike... that and the kickstand not being all the way down/not on solid ground
                          sigpic
                          2000 Suzuki 600 Kat - Blue Fury V1.0
                          2006 Kawasaki 636 - Blue Fury V2.0
                          2011 Dodge Charger RT - Lexi

Comment

• Back in the day, kickstands weren't connected to a kill switch. I remember a time when I got on my bike in '84 or '85 at WalMart (back when they sold American goods), and took off with the kickstand still in the down position. Then, I made a hard left and the kickstand popped the bike up and made me lose control, sending me into a ditch. No real damage, except to my pride.
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

• Originally posted by Nero View Post
                              Back in the day, kickstands weren't connected to a kill switch. I remember a time when I got on my bike in '84 or '85 at WalMart (back when they sold American goods), and took off with the kickstand still in the down position. Then, I made a hard left and the kickstand popped the bike up and made me lose control, sending me into a ditch. No real damage, except to my pride.
                              Never wrecked because of it, but I've had a couple of surprises that way too. I have problems with kickstand switches, so mine are always bypassed.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

• I had a couple of those "surprises" on my old xs400, it would feel like someone was giving the bike a slap on the arse we you go into your first left turn.:bunny2
                                Blackdog
                                DRz-400e plated
                                Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Working...
                                X