X

Is this ok?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reconstyle
    Don't even need the clutch if you get good with matching RPM's to road speed.
    Ummm....WHAT?!?!
    It's similar to rev-matching on a car.
    No turbo no care.

Comment

I still don't get it and it makes my head hurt....
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I ride dirt bikes with my 14 year old daughter, she has been riding for about 4 years, she can shift very well now, with a few tricks I taught her.

The clutch and shifting is one of the hardest things to master.
        Of course 1st gear needs a smooth clutch release to start out smoothly.
        But once past 1st gear in the dirt, shifting with out the clutch is the best/quickest way.

The key to shifting gears is to take the load off the meshing gears for a split second. Either with the clutch, or slightly increasing or decreasing the engine rpm.
        Beginner riders have to use the clutch because they can't control the throttle well enough. That's why the bike jerks into gear.

A great way to teach someone how to shift smoothly is to learn how to shift without using the clutch!

Up shifting
        On the street it is also a good way to see if you are working the throttle properly when shifting.
        On a good straight road with no traffic!
        Shift using the clutch up to 3rd gear, keep rpm's low about 5,000 or less.
        Slowly/smoothly accelerating as you normally do.
        Now try shifting to 4th without the clutch.

*Put light pressure up on the shifter and backoff the throttle just a little, to take pressure off the meshing gears.
        * Also the rpm's must drop slightly to match the 4th gear ratio.
        *In it goes!
        *Smoothly back on the gas and try 5th.........

If it wasn't smooth you either backed off the gas too much or not enough!
        Practice a few times until you can do it smoothly.
        Only in 3rd gear and above for Katana's!

Then use the clutch and shift the same way as above!

Wow!
        You are now shifting so smooth, your girl friends helmet doesn't smash into yours anymore!!

I use the clutch most of the time on the street.

As always be smooth and safe!
        Lyle
        1959 Triumph TR-3, 1970 Opel Gt, 1999 F150, 2006 Gixxer 750, Kawasaki KDX-220 dirt bike, Enduro Racing Kart 100cc Yamaha......

Comment

Originally posted by steves
          5-6k is just the start of the power band on these motors. I usually try to stay right around there all the time!
          : :
          "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

The joy of a 11,000 rpm redline, less shifting...Ever ridden a Buell, lol
            "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

I'm a new rider and have barely taken it above 8K, since my bike starts to vibrate quite a bit. At what engine speed should you typically keep it when you're in traffic (that is, anticipating stops, but not going over 40mph)?
              2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Comment

Depends . On the way TO work , usually I'll be in 3rd around 40 so I got enough "squirt" on tap should I need it . But on the way home , I'll usually sit in 6th in the same stretch to save gas and cool off a bit . In traffic , keeping upwards of 5k is a good idea .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Depends . On the way TO work , usually I'll be in 3rd around 40 so I got enough "squirt" on tap should I need it . But on the way home , I'll usually sit in 6th in the same stretch to save gas and cool off a bit . In traffic , keeping upwards of 5k is a good idea .
                  I agree!
                  Also practice down shifting from 6th to 4th quickly!
                  So when you need the power to get out of trouble, you have it.
                  Lyle
                  1959 Triumph TR-3, 1970 Opel Gt, 1999 F150, 2006 Gixxer 750, Kawasaki KDX-220 dirt bike, Enduro Racing Kart 100cc Yamaha......

Comment

There is never a good time to shift without a clutch, PERIOD! Your katana isn't like a car in that you have a neutral between every gear. There is no way to match RPM's for two gears at once. If you are matched for the gear you are in then you won't be for the one you are going to and the motor will not change RPM as fast as the tranny will change gears. Will the bike do it? Yes. Should you? NEVER! It will cost you a tranny I promise.
                    You can't shake hands with a fist.
                    You can read this so thank a teacher.
                    It's in english so thank a soldier.

Comment

Can you say bent shift fork or chipped tooth off gear? Learned my lesson on ALWAYS using the clutch to upshift/downshift on ATC's three shift forks bent one gear chipped
                      sigpic

Comment

Re: Is this ok?!?

Originally posted by Craft59

That is the one down side to the MSF course, not enough speed and shifting, but a great course.

Would you really want a bunch of new riders zooming around at 40-50mph not really knowing how to stop in an emergency?

Comment

lol
                          they got mad at me when i got my gz 250 into 3rd gear. :[
                          i owned one at the time and had been riding it for 2 years, so i knew what i was doing...

Comment

I always upshift at somewhere around 5 - 6.5K
                            GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Working...
                            X