X

This is my second bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my second bike.

My first bike was a (if you can call it a bike) Honda Rebel 250. I went through 4 clutches from mile 995 to mile 2195. I'm not a hard rider simply used the bike 2 or 3 days a week back and forth to work roughly 32 miles round trip. After the 4th replacement I didn't have any problems of course I also pretty much quit using the clutch all together except when absolutely needed.

Is clutchless shifting safe on a Kat? Is the clutch better built on the Kat? I don't drag the clutch I'm quick on and quick off but after my last experience I've begun to worry that my clutch habits are wrong. I really don't want to have to push my Kat to work every 300 miles or so. Especially since it's a much heavier bike than my old rebel.
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

This issue has been hotly debated here before and I'm still not sure what the general concensus was, if there even was one. Here's my take.

Clutchless upshifting, is okay, but I wouldn't make a habit out of 1st to 2nd clutchless. Clutchless downshifting = bad. Just don't do it.

My concern is the clutch on your 250 Rebel. (Which by the way, I think are great little bikes, hehe.) I had a friend who rode a 250 Rebel to work and home just about every day for two years...no clutch issues at all. No issues of any type, actually. Great little bike. Was just wondering if you had some other mechanical issue that was causing clutch failure?

Peace,

6P
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

Other mechanical issues is what I kept telling the mechanics to look for but all they kept telling me was "man you have to quit riding that clutch" Let me put a lil more light on my clutch problem. After the first replacement the bike was back in the shop exactly 98 miles later for the same problem. Mechanic tried to tell me I rode the clutch all the way home or used the wrong oil. He didn't like it when I said "ok it must be the oil then what kind of crap did you put in her when you replaced the clutch 98 miles ago."

My ex-wife and I both had Rebel 250 hers ran good no problems at all. When she upgraded to a gs500f to get the bike out of my name and let me ride it once I knew I needed a bigger bike. 3 days later I had my Kat. I'm 5'10" 250lbs now picture that on a rebel.

And yes I have considered maybe perhaps my size may have been a factor in my previous clutch problems. Although I don't know if it could have been a factor or not.
      '06 600 Katana

Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Your size is/was not a factor. My friend who had the rebel was easily 260-275 at the time. Easily.

I seriously think your rebel had other mechanical issues. Impossible to say what those issues may have been from where I sit, but for a clutch to go out 98 miles after a new one was put in, I'd have to say that if it was rider error, then you would literally have to ride with the clutch partially engaged (seriously slipping) for the entire 98 miles.

Peace,

6P
        When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

i dont do clutchless shifting, i just think its a bad idea. i know people all will agree and disagree, its been talked about before to death.

however, you might try using 2 fingers to shift? when i shift with 2 fingers the lever actually hits the rest of my fingers. by hitting my other fingers the clutch doesnt get pulled all the way in. its kind of a compromise between clutch/no clutch shifting maybe?

as sixpoint said though, use the clutch going from 1st to 2nd always(not the 2 finger clutch either).
          03 katanika

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. If it is rider error tho time will tell. I'll post on here when and if I have to have my clutch replaced on the Kat anytime soon. at roughly 100 miles a week I should be in for my first service in about a month or so. Possibly longer if I don't get rid of this &^%*%*^ cold.

I know what some of you are thinking 100 miles a week are you nuts. My desire to ride grossly outweighs my availabilty to ride.
            '06 600 Katana

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was never a big fan of clutchless shifting did it more out of a desire to not push my rebel. Since buying the Kat I've used the clutch except once in a while I'd upshift without thinking. I never downshift clutchless even on the rebel.
              '06 600 Katana

Comment

clutchless upshifts when you are not riding hard is actually easier on your bike then using a clutch....less load on driveline.

truthfully...if you went through clutches like that....I am almost positive you had a hand in it.

the clutch in a little rebel has a very small friction surface, added to the fact that it would take a lot of energy to get you moving....I bet you were reving the piss out of her while slowly letting out the clutch.

I might be totally wrong too...it is just speculation on my part.

feel confident in the fact that your Kat has beefier clutch....get sombody with some skill to watch you work your clutch.

Comment

Working...
                X