HOW TO PICK YOUR MOTORCYCLE UP CORRECTLY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good to know

Comment

I could have used this when my friends motorcycle fell on his leg while he was wearing shorts, muffler first. Then again he probably should have seen the fence and not worn shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyway46 View Post
        this may be a retarded question...but, would it be safe to gently lay the bike down on its side and practice this? i think it would be better to do that than to crash in front of everybody and struggle for 5 mins trying to get the bike upright
        Honestly dropped mine the other day and just got a few scratches on it. no biggy. It fell as gently as possible, so i wouldnt reccomend it cause youre going to scratch it. I didnt have the kickstand all the way down and when i realized it, it was already too far gone and got really heavy feeling. My trying to catch it slowed it down a lot.

Comment

Yup, That will work!
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
          Black painted seat and rear trim,
          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

She has been around along time teaching that technique, there were some videos on you-tube

Comment

She's lifting a totaly different bike…

Bummer, that method does work for my other bikes, but NOT MY 750 KAT!
              I dropped the bike trying to put it on the centerstand, so it fell on it's right side.
              I'm 6"4" and I have to completely bend my knees to get my butt to touch the seat, the fork kept flopping over so the bike would roll left. If I held the bars straight, I had only one hand under the seat, and the seat pan was flexing close to breaking. That method would never work for me on a Katana.

I did get it up and here's how: By facing the tank, turning the bars left, holding the end of the bar with my right hand, left hand under the tank, as I got it up on the tires I braced my left knee under the tank and pushed up. As it came up I could balance it and set it on the side stand. Like picking up a bicycle, but it takes a lot out of you.
              Bill

Comment

This method really works I was a little skeptical at first but decided to do it. I am amazed how easy the bike comes up, left hand on bars, right hand on grab rail and rt foot on centerstand. It came right up. I just got back into riding and have always been able to get the bikes on the centerstand. Problem was I would lean the bike into me and rock it up and back. My previous bikes outweighed the katana by 50-70 lbs therefore it was difficult but i managed. This way is so much easier that I will probably always use it instead of my side stand.

Comment

That's useful too!

Originally posted by liaf View Post
                  This method really works I was a little skeptical at first but decided to do it. I am amazed how easy the bike comes up, left hand on bars, right hand on grab rail and rt foot on centerstand.
                  I might have a chance to try that, someday…
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                    Bummer, that method does work for my other bikes, but NOT MY 750 KAT!
                    I dropped the bike trying to put it on the centerstand, so it fell on it's right side.
                    I'm 6"4" and I have to completely bend my knees to get my butt to touch the seat, the fork kept flopping over so the bike would roll left. If I held the bars straight, I had only one hand under the seat, and the seat pan was flexing close to breaking. That method would never work for me on a Katana.

I did get it up and here's how: By facing the tank, turning the bars left, holding the end of the bar with my right hand, left hand under the tank, as I got it up on the tires I braced my left knee under the tank and pushed up. As it came up I could balance it and set it on the side stand. Like picking up a bicycle, but it takes a lot out of you.
                    Bill
                    I've picked up several bikes with this method, Katana's included. It's not about strength but about leverage. It might have helped to put the transmission in gear so it wouldn't wander.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Originally posted by liaf View Post
                      This method really works I was a little skeptical at first but decided to do it. I am amazed how easy the bike comes up, left hand on bars, right hand on grab rail and rt foot on centerstand. It came right up. I just got back into riding and have always been able to get the bikes on the centerstand. Problem was I would lean the bike into me and rock it up and back. My previous bikes outweighed the katana by 50-70 lbs therefore it was difficult but i managed. This way is so much easier that I will probably always use it instead of my side stand.
                      Sorry but I put this in the wrong thread I was reading both ,pick the bike up and an easy way to get your bike on the centerstand. I should have posted it in an easy way to get to get your bike on the centerstand.

Comment

• Reel me in…

Originally posted by liaf View Post
                        Sorry but I put this in the wrong thread I was reading both ,pick the bike up and an easy way to get your bike on the centerstand. I should have posted it in an easy way to get to get your bike on the centerstand.
                        LOL, and I was going to try pulling my bike up off the ground like that!
                        It might work, if I had a huge butt to counterbalance the bike.

Comment

• Originally posted by steves View Post
                          I've picked up several bikes with this method, Katana's included. It's not about strength but about leverage. It might have helped to put the transmission in gear so it wouldn't wander.

G'day Steves,

I dropped my bike last week in front of my office building in the pouring rain. I'd gotten all packed and geared, astride, and just about to start the bike when I realized I'd forgotten something. Thinking I still had the side-stand down, I started to get off, only to find out the hard way when the bike kept tipping left that I was in deep trouble. I let it down gently, so damage was minimal.

This method, though, is tricky with a kat, especially on the left side. The bike lays so flat, it's a bear to get low enough to place my butt on the seat, or to get the bike high enough to use my legs for leverage as indicated in this method. I managed, but it took some creative swearing while sweating in full gear, 80+F in the pouring rain. A bike like the beamer in the pics would be heaps easier--it's already half-way there!

Have you picked up a kat using this method, and did you find the same leverage problem?

Cheers,
                          High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

• nice post serve me well a couple of times!

Comment

• great tip! I've had the embarressing experience of dropping my bike. I didn't think there was an easier way to pick it back up, but now i do.

Comment

• Thanks for the helpful link

Comment

Working...
                                X