Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I can't believe it's only been a year (Reflection)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe it's only been a year (Reflection)

Well Katriders, I've owned my Kat for a year now. It's time for me to bore you all and write a massive reflection that maybe some will find entertaining, or perhaps even inspiring.

I went to look at the GSXF600P that I currently own soley from sitting with my friend and joking, 'It's black, that's all I need.' Before dialing up the-then seller. Had it trailerd home and went 18 miles before it died on me - I knew I was in for it.

I found this great community that I am now a part of that no doubt helped me through the process of overhauling everything as winter settled in; I did everything, from a valve adjustment to a carb clean, sync and tune so well I've never used my choke since.Through the parts section I sourced OEM bits that helped me put my Kat as close to OEM as I could with a poor-college-boy income. When Spring dawned I had just put the finishing touches - I'd done it, just in time. Everyone both admitted previous doubt and congratulated me in doing something they really didn't think I would ever achieve. Between that and my self-pride, there was always a slight smirk under my helmet everytime she fired right up.

Ofcourse, it didn't last. (as most of you who read my collision thread well know)
    On March 29th, 2014, while out for a night with my friends, a drunk driver backed into my parked Kat trying to parallel park (full details here, I won't recap in this thread). Everyone I know labels it, 'the worst tip in history.' Almost everything was damaged, and to top it off he didn't have insurance. (Court date is soon, though)

Once again I had it towed home, and I was more crushed than ever. I shamelessly admit that I had cried that night. I'd truly fallen in love with those bunny-ear mirrors and long-stalk signals - if even, as my riding mates never failed to remind me, they were a bit goofy. I started a very well-paying job for a college student and knew that I would have to dig deep and budget hard. I had decided she needed to be more custom.

I started in on some of the bigger mods, most of which I have yet to tell KatRiders about. The first was replacing the broken bits: grips, indicators, bar-ends, levers, windscreen, seats. Then I started in on a shovel-chop and went for a custom LED taillight with integrated sequential turn signals and a brake light flasher. I then helped 91 unload his Dual Bi-Xenon with LED rings headlight setup after his turbo Kat met a bad end. The true anniversary was yesterday, but the latest addition was finally replacing the damaged tank after a good treatment and tank lining.

I still sport the same smirk each time she fires right up, and I get compliments daily on her. There's no other bike I'd rather have, and it's a bittersweet transformation she's endured.

Just updated the Imgur album linked in my signature from all the pictures I neglected to upload as mods and time passed by.

I cut this short near the end, so if anyone has any questions or comments feel free.

View the collision thread (written the night of)
    Last edited by Purplehaze; 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Nice to hear an update!
    Bike is looking good, nice job! And good luck with the court date, let us know how it turns out.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Nice resurrection. Thanks for the update.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Nice to hear everything is going well. My 1st anniversary with my kat is in two days. Not as drama filled as yours and hopefully will stay that way. It has been fun and she is a great road companion. All of my mods have been in the comfort / touring realm. Over the year we have covered 8,000 miles including a 6 day just for me 1720 mile camping trip. I have met some great people on this site and many out on the road.

Thanks for sharing this purplehaze. I hope you don't mind a little hijack, it would be fun to hear more reflections from members.

It is amazing how these simple bikes can work their way into your life and bring along so much with them. The experiences, friendships and time for self reflection she brings is helping me see how great the simple things in life are.
        Ride on. Don't just see it, be it.

Comment

Cheers guys, I'd been busy with the aforementioned job and the rebuild. Figured those whose interests would be piqued could take a peek at the progress.

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
          Nice to hear everything is going well. My 1st anniversary with my kat is in two days. Not as drama filled as yours and hopefully will stay that way. It has been fun and she is a great road companion. All of my mods have been in the comfort / touring realm. Over the year we have covered 8,000 miles including a 6 day just for me 1720 mile camping trip. I have met some great people on this site and many out on the road.

Thanks for sharing this purplehaze. I hope you don't mind a little hijack, it would be fun to hear more reflections from members.
          Haha I'm over the 8,000 mark for this season and first year. I've actually picked up a tank bag and one can probably spot the cargo net. I'm fairly soon for a TPX Radar Detector, phone mount, and USB charging ports. I'm part of both worlds it seems.

Not at all by the way, I'd love to hear other's reflections - no matter the timespan.

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
          It is amazing how these simple bikes can work their way into your life and bring along so much with them. The experiences, friendships and time for self reflection she brings is helping me see how great the simple things in life are.
          Ride on. Don't just see it, be it.
          Could not have possibly said it better myself.
          - Purplehaze

Comment

I thought I would have more miles. I was excited for summer and then have only been on a handful of rides. My wife is a school teacher so my Friday's off did not help as it was seen as ditching the family, or at least leaving her with the kids. They go back to school so I will be going riding every Friday I can until middle of next June. As long as the roads are clear of ice in winter and temps are not too bad, I'll ride. Upper 20's is the lowest I have ridden in.
            BTW those headlights look great. I never liked the headlight of the pre in stock form. I think what you have looks better than the post now. I actually like the look of the post lights but duals in the pre look better.

Comment

Funny you ought to say that, I actually never got onboard with the post-kat headlights.
              - Purplehaze

Comment

Working...
              X