No announcement yet.
X

Project 88 Katana- Running logbook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't be long and she'll be ready to crank up and purrrr..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

End of the day.

Get the exhaust finished and hung and I guess we'll see if it fires.......
      Ron
      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Awesome work , She's coming alone nicely.
        Kyle

Comment

No major updated pics due to no major progress. Looks very likely that I may have to rebuild the top end since I believe there is no compression. I have been spending a little time sorting out other small details and am happy to say that now all lights work to include both brake switches and all turn signals! Woo hoo!

Will put the compression checker on it Thursday and will most likely be pulling the motor in order to pull the jugs and see if the pistons and rings are even salvagable. If not, new ones will be installed and we'll give it another go!
          Ron
          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

All I can say is "Damn". Those green carbs are hella nasty!!! Looks like those need a actual dip to clean them bad boi's up!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I love to see a good project making progress (does that make me voyureish?) I Have a similar 750 project, but I am much too impatient to document its progress. "For those about to wrench, we salute you"!!!
              "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Latest Update............................................ ...........

It lives!!!

Checked the compression and while #2 and 3 were a bit low, 1 and 4 were decent, so I cranked it up with ether and after that it would start on it's own with just gas and runs decent! After I ran it for a bit I pulled the plugs and sure enough, 2 and 3 were sooty, but the compression check showed that the rings had also lossened up a bit and the compression across all four was the same! Woo hoo !!!!!!!!

Need to pull the exhaust again and prep for paint now along with the wheels. I have decided to try to touch up the marks on the fairings and try to leave them as original as possible, so that will not take much. Biggest thing at this point is to try to get a new petcock since the original was non salvageable and I can't get the tank to flow fuel at all.

Getting much closer!
                Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Congrats!
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Sorry to say that there are minimal updates from over the weekend. I ended up getting tickets to a race on Saturday which shot that day to hell and went riding until about 1pm Sunday.

Anyways, I DID manage to get the rear wheel painted , rotor installed, cush drive cleaned, and the whole completed assembly back on the bike. Those white wheels look REALLY nice so long as they are clean, but I think they are a cruel joke by Suzuki since they show every bit of road grime.

Will post some pics later.
                      Ron
                      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Wow, schweeet Ron! I love that original scheme...good choice in keeping it. I have a old picture of a pro railing on this color scheme...I'll post it when I get home.

Was it me, or was getting a Bandit12 shock in there a PITA?

Comment

Good to hear its running. I look forward to the next installment.

Comment

awesome job keep us updated

Comment

Ok...... As promised.........

The rear wheel as it looked after spraying, but before removing paper....... Look back at the original pics for a before comparison.... I broke the bead on both tires so I could tape accurately. Probably lost the original air in the process though. You think that will decrease the value?

The front before the rotors went on. The spare wheels I got had a great looking set of rotors with them, so those are the ones I used!

Bad news though........ Found that the left fork seal is leaking, so it looks like I will need to tear the forks down and replace the fork seals and oil
                              Ron
                              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Was it me, or was getting a Bandit12 shock in there a PITA?
                                Musta been you bro......... Mine bolted right in to both the 91 and the 88 with no problems.
                                Ron
                                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                                X