X

Plasti dip tank accent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasti dip tank accent

First time using plasti dip and really wanted to try it on my tank since it has some paint chips and scratches and bubbled paint from it falling during a carb sink. Then gas soaked on it and caused some of the paint to bubble and get rough. I had some clear vinyl on the tank as a protectant as you can see if you look real hard in the first pic half way up from the seat to the fill cap. Gas soaked top also caused the new tank fill cap carbon vinyl to fall off and disintegrate. So i took the opportunity to cover it in some real 3M di-noc carbon fiber so it matches the rest of the bike. I covered the mounting holes I know but they start to look like crap after getting stuff in them plus the cap is pretty new so I shouldn't be taking it out any time soon!

I only wanted to accent he tank top to cover all the above blemishes.

I think it looks okay and ties into the seat and such. I made it narrow at the seat bc i didn't want to go to the edge of the bend.

Overall it was pretty easy to do, just some light sanding to smooth out that section of tank. Well see how it holds up! esp with filling the bike up. lol. It covers the blemishes so Im happy.

what you guys think?
    Attached Files
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Looks great
    Kyle

Comment

looks good

Comment

Looks to good.......

Comment

Wow nice job taping that off! I was actually thinking of doing almost the opposite. I wanted to get a tank pad or bra then plasti dip everything that doesn't cover black. That way I don't have to worry about the plasti dip wearing if I want to lay on it.

Your coating came out amazing! Did you use the spray cans? How many coats? Light or heavy? lol, I'm going to finish rest of my bike this week hopefully. Loving the plasti dip so far.
          - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

thanks guys! I like it and it makes the tank alittle easier to look at.

I used blue painters tape and took me like an hour to do total. Im not sure how the plasti dip will hold up but you can add more so its not really a big deal.

Yes I used the spray can, less than $6 at Home depot. I did about 4 coats, heavy! 1st coat was light/medium then I went heavy. The issue with taping off a section and plasti dipping is that the plasti dip sticks to the tape so it lifts when you pull the tape. Mine stuck alittle but I did 4 coats in prob 10 min. Coats where mostly dry within a min or 2. Honestly if you want it to come out best, you need to spray heavy coats and pull the tape off before it drys otherwise it will pull the rubber up with it.

Comment

nice job
              sigpic
              89 Katana -94 Katana
              02 CBR F4i - 07 VFR 800
              03 SuperHawk (sold) -
              84 VF500f

Comment

Just realized the other day that I missed out on doing something awesome!

I'm Gona do it and post pics this weekend if I can with the weather.

Comment

So I was playing around today with the plastic dip accent I did on my take and decided to try something out.

The whole bike has no signs or decals describing the turbo that powers it so I decided to do a little decal of a turbo so that its alittle present for others to see.

I cut out a "turbo" icon or symbol from the old buick grand nations as I think the symbol is the easiest to replicate. I then realized that the black and blue underneath arent really enough of opposites for the icon to show, it also just looked like a large swoosh until I added the silver color. This was the hardest part as I didn't want to spray it on as I would have to tape off the plasti dip and didnt want to pull it up when removing the tape. So i basically just hand painted it on with silver spray paint and brush.

Now that its all done, im not sure if I like it, perhaps its too big? or something. But its not really in your face and most ppl really need to know the logo to know its turbo'd. Its a cool Idea that I will use when I get real decals made for the rest of the bike but now im just going to leave it.

what you guys think?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                    what you guys think?

To be honest, I don't like it. It looked cleaner before.

Comment

Haha I know. It was worth a try.

Comment

Earlier today I saw a commercial for jiffy lube and their symbol is just like that but reversed.

Last edited by muffinman; 07-01-2013, 09:04 AM. Reason: Added image

Comment

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
                          To be honest, I don't like it. It looked cleaner before.
                          +1

First part was a proper job.
                          Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Are you having any issues with the gas touching and ruining the finish of the plastidip? I know a lot of people have previously had problems with that. How exactly did you do the design on the tank though?
                            I don't think it's for everyone, but I like the attempt and execution. I have a little experience with plastidip and can't figure out how you did it.

Comment

this is what I was basing off of http://buickturboregal.com/wp-conten...1/12/6logo.jpg but your right it does look like the jiffy lube logo... is that a bad thing? lol.

No issues with gas yet as I havent gotten any on it. Only filled up once but I used a funnel and a gas can, I dont fill up at stations as I usually have a jug of premium around my house for my race car and I only go like 15-30 miles at a time. I will start tho on longer trips, but I use a paper towel as a safety measure and you can always matt clear coat it.

I just layed out some blue painters tape to the shape I wanted and then covered stuff, sprayed it on! the Turbo logo was much more difficult and required a exacto razor blade and s small paint brush with silver paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X