X

custom fiberglass turn signal mod...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom fiberglass turn signal mod...

I posted some pics previously but I will post more in depth shots here. I changed gears (so to speak) on my turn signal mod project from my original intention. I wanted to include the signals in my "wire mesh mod" but it proved very difficult "massaging" the wire mesh into the form I wanted. When I did manage to get it somewhat how I wanted it was nearly as bulky as the original turn signal covers and my purpose was a lower profile. I have been busy working on my Kat every chance I have had in these past few weeks. I have the fairings all repaired and painted in flat olive drab green. I am going to turn the turn signals into eyes (kind of like the tiger shark paint motif on p 51 mustang fighter planes. I may also paint faux rivets in the "green sheet metal".

I decided to custom sculpt the turn signals using the stock turn signal housings as my foundation. I started with duraglass and finished with red putty. I am happy with the results. I painted them gloss black. This project was very time consuming. It involved much sanding, filling, more sanding, etc. I am glad it is finally over. I will hand paint the "eyeball" and "tiger shark jaw" with one shot enamel. Over all I like the contrast between the OD and the gloss black. I also installed a small cb under my seat. I used a metal bracket (ground plane for antenna) and bent and drilled it and attached it to the rear grab rail bolts underneath the back of the seat. It transmits and receives fine.

My lower fairing is still in progress. I may be painting a "Jim Goose" (Mad Max) tribute piece on it, or I may go another route. I plan on some green vinyl on the seat fairing to "extend" the green from the side fairings rearward.

Also, I installed the original style handlebar tree and my riding position is much more comfortable now. I have my center stand permanently installed as I had my friend bend me a piece of exhaust pipe putting my can beneath the passenger foot peg allowing the center stand to fully retract. Can't wait. I will post more pics when I get the final paint job complete. Thanks for looking.

Here is the link to my photobucket album.

http://s373.photobucket.com/user/80g...a%20750?page=1
    www.80gritproductions.com

Kinda looks like Spock ears...lol. Nice work..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
    X