a

Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Next time someone tells you that they've outgrown their SS bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i actually avoid highways.... even on the katana... i just like taking the long scenic route, and major freeways and highways are rarely scenic.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

Must be nice to have that option...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

How is the japanese more impressive? That bike weighs about 400lbs less and the guy is putting his feet down around corners.

Comment

Now, that's skills!

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
            If you go back and read the post were this quote was taken from you will find that I actually want a new ninja 250. Also if you reread the quote your using it also states BELOW 250cc... and i think that may be a legal thing. I think i remember hearing that you cannot use the freeway unless you have over 200ccs in the state of california. So while your trying to disagree with me your merely proving my point... that the new ninja 250 rocks.

Most references to limitations for vehicles on highways I've read or seen has been about the attainable speeds or actual vehicle speed limitations that would prevent them from being used on a highway. Basically, the vehicle must be able to reach with in 15 mph of the posted speed limit.

Non tagged Scooters are mentioned and restricted for example because they are generally limited in speed to 25 to 30mph depending on state for use with out a tag, regardless of the posted speed limit being higher. Tagged scooters are not limited to that max mph, so a 100 or 150cc scooter that is tagged and able to reach highway speeds probably is not as restricted in many states.

I've not seen any that specify CC size limitations except when in reference to the use of/need to be tagged laws for scooters being limited to under 50cc for no tag regs.

Generally speaking, if the vehicle is considered a motorcycle and can reach the speed limits posted on a section of highway... I would be suprised to find it's limited.

I mention this because there are several "legal" dual sport on/off road motorcycles available in all states that are under the 200cc mark. I can't find any information that would limit them.

I've looked, can't find anything specific to CC size unless it's specifiying information about use with out a tag on roads and highways. You got a link with more info about that?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just FYI -

In California, Two wheel motorized vehicles (actually up to three wheels) are divided into four categories determined primarily by their engine displacement.

Motor-Driven cycles have engine displacements of less than 150CC's.

Motorcycles have engine displacements greater than 150CC's. The other two categories are Motorized Bicycles and Motorized Scooters.

Of the four categories, only Motorcycles may be operated on freeways in California unless the posted signs do not strictly prohibit the use of Motor-Driven cycles. I have yet to see a freeway in California that doesn't have signs prohibiting Motor-Driven Cycles...although there must be one somewhere or that stipulation wouldn't be written into the law.
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                Just FYI -

In California, Two wheel motorized vehicles (actually up to three wheels) are divided into four categories determined primarily by their engine displacement.

Motor-Driven cycles have engine displacements of less than 150CC's.

Motorcycles have engine displacements greater than 150CC's. The other two categories are Motorized Bicycles and Motorized Scooters.

Of the four categories, only Motorcycles may be operated on freeways in California unless the posted signs do not strictly prohibit the use of Motor-Driven cycles. I have yet to see a freeway in California that doesn't have signs prohibiting Motor-Driven Cycles...although there must be one somewhere or that stipulation wouldn't be written into the law.
                Very interesting... CA always seems to have such harsher and prohibative laws than most other states, yet it's the only one that allows lane splitting.

First time I've heard of endorsements needed for use of scooters under the 50cc range.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Very interesting... CA always seems to have such harsher and prohibative laws than most other states, yet it's the only one that allows lane splitting.

First time I've heard of endorsements needed for use of scooters under the 50cc range.

Krey

It's all about revenue here in the Gold-en state. Either for the licensing requirements or for the excessive fines when you violate the requirements.

The only reason lane splitting is allowed is because it's not specifically addressed in the vehicle code. I suspect that at some point California special interest groups, insurance companies, or law makers will find some way to mess up the only true solution to gridlock traffic and increase revenues in the process.
                  Last edited by KatanaGSX92; 12-18-2011, 10:08 AM.
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Kentucky says nothing under 250ccs allowed on the freeway, period.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Since when does KY have freeways anyway? They're a left coast thing.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

Got a link for that?

I wasn't sucsessful in finding anything that specifies that.

I was only able to find just a saftey tip/suggestion in the KY motorcycle manual that SUGGESTS the minimal being 250cc as a saftey consideration, but that doesn't make it illegal or even prohibited specifically if your ride is able to travel at a safe and reasonable speed.

"page 42" of the manual... http://kentuckystatepolice.org/pdf/m...cle_manual.pdf

Being as I very well do plan on riding my Xt200 in KY... this would be good to know for sure one way or another.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Motor bikes, mini bikes, and any other small vehicles may not be operated upon the street or highway without first meeting the requirements for a motor vehicle, such as registration plate; and the operator must have a license to operate the vehicle.

It is important to know the Kentucky Traffic Laws (KRS 186 and KRS 189). This can be found at http://www.lrc.ky.gov
                          Looks like as long as it's plated and insured you are good to go
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                          X