Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What did I do to my Kat ... this month!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do to my Kat ... this month!?!?

Been doing some renovations / additions on the GSX750F. Has taken 3 weeks in total – weekends and evenings. And yes ... it is in my lounge room!

First was the important stuff. Valve clearances adjusted and carbs checked – float levels adjusted, mixture screws set evenly, and statically balanced. K&N installed. Iridium plugs installed.
    Then the fun stuff ...
    Installing a second fuse box:

LED Tail Light. The wiring was interesting:

Necessary LED Flasher Unit – and the new K&N Filter:

12 Volt Accessory Socket:

2 Pin Charging / Power Socket – mounted where the right indicator was. In place of the left indicator is a similar plug wired into the lighting circuit to connect lights to rear luggage:

Coil Relay Mod – only gained me an extra 0.5 Volts at the coil, but this is a new bike. Can’t wait to do this on the ’93 model which will benefit greatly:

Alarm. This is a great unit from Jaycar for about $60!! Plenty of wiring to play with, but it is triggered by movement and current, features a piercing siren, flashing indicators and immobiliser ... and even a “find my bike” feature:

Throttle Lock:

Oil Cooler Guard – with apologies to Joe (former Kat owner and member - "Crazymofo") – I took a few nicks out of it to make it fit more flush:

Speedo Healer:

Everything works well. Off to Nerang tmoro to have it checked on a dyno. Now just need a DB screen and some luggage.

With the throttle lock, do you notice the throttle sticking a bit and not springing back to close like normal? I'm looking into doing this but i'm kinda put off by reports of this issue

P.S. Awesome job! It looks really well done
    Last edited by kat_pilot750; 04-20-2011, 06:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

Cheers mate! Probably could have done the job in a week - but was anal about making it all as hidden and original looking as possible.

Re the throttle lock - I had trouble with this model lock on my 93 Kat - it was either too loose and didn't lock, or too tight and intrusive. I installed this one with extra foam around the grip which seems to have worked - while stationery at least. Haven't trialled it on the road yet but will be sitting on the freeway for 2 hours tmoro and will report back!

Comment

Dam thats alot of wiring. Looks like you did a great job.
        2005 Gsx600f- My baby
        1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
        Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Awesome job bro! Love the rack

Comment

Whats the coil mod all about anyway..?

Never mind google is my amigo.
            Last edited by wismo; 04-20-2011, 07:21 PM.
            Im not a carburetor guru.

Comment

looks great cant wait to see her finished
              J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

Well, seems I'm not quite finished yet ... but it's not totally unexpected.

Put her on a dyno and she is way too lean in the top end with the pipe and K&N, so a Factory Pro or Dynojet Jet kit will be installed. And given our prices here, that is likely to come from the US.

The throttle lock works OK, but I'm going to fiddle with that a little more too to gain some "absoluteness" between on and off. I'm thinking layers of firmer tape/rubber rather than foam as extra thickening around the grip. (Of course - had I not misplaced the various thicknesses of rubber supplied with the kit originally that might not be necessary! )

Kat Pilot - I'm also chasing some hard luggage - and the hardest thing is finding a complete set up to fit. Givi don't do side racks. Hepco Becker and SW - Motech might??? Shad do, but claim their 43 litres panniers are rated to hold just 5kg (about 11 Pounds) - what's the point in that!!?? What luggage is your machine wearing and do you recommend it?

Comment

Thanks for the report with the throttle lock. I'm still deciding between your style and a throttle meister ($ is a biznatch).

Mine is wearing the Shad 43L side cases. While that is very light, I can say that i have put much more than that in there and they have been holding up just fine with the exception of the tray on the inside is starting to come loose. But I can fix that with some screws. The ones that Shad uses are super tiny. I got a givi E52 trunk that I custom mounted with a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum courtesy of my auto mechanic. I really like them. Another contender is Krauser with their 47L cases. that look really good and have a more secure looking mount set up to include the bolts for the rear grab bar. Sorry for the late reply
                  "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

Working...
                  X