Another turbo katana build....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice, can't wait to see.

Comment

• i FINALLY got the video up.. god computers can be a pain at times.... fricking router took a dump. here ya guys go.. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ShkO9N0zto"]YouTube - ‪turbo'ed katana 600 ride‬‏[/ame]
      "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
      2004 marauder 800

Comment

• and for those of you who skipped out before the ending, here's how it looks.... yes i know there's no plastic's on..... yet.

2006 turboed kat
        2004 marauder 800

Comment

• awesome sounds great!

Comment

• thanks! appreciate it... now i need to pick up a wideband... gah i hope i can find one cheap.

2006 turboed kat
            2004 marauder 800

Comment

• The cheapest wideband I ever found for my cars was the innovate lc-1 kit. It was like 200 with the gauge, sensor, and controller which is built into the wiring. Best Place to mount it is right after the turbo. As close as possible in your case as you dont want cold air hitting it, widebands heat up to something like 1300 degrees F when working and need to be at that temp or exhaust sticks to the sensor and ruins it.

This is a pretty sick build, but I counted about 7 things on it that could be MAJORLY improved and would make it spool sooner, faster and harder. Not trying to bag on it just saying. I've built or helped build and tuned numerous turbo car setups and I'm not one to half *** anything so it has to be perfect for me to be satisfied. Also concerning the oiling for the turbo. I'd make sure that scavenge pump is doing it's job, having the drain on the side of the turbo is a HUGE no no unless absolutely required. If oil stays in the turbo tool long it cokes and clogs everything up and then its by by turbo. Also I'm assuming that being that it's so small and a smart car turbo that it's journal bearing? I don't know what kats put out for oil pressure but be careful that it's not over about 40 psi hitting the turbo or it will blow the seals in it and then it's turbo rebuild time already. This is if it is journal bearing, ball bearings need even less though. Overall looks like a sweet project though. I may have to attempt something like this if i keep the kat long enough, except I hate carbs so I'd be going fuel injected.

Also it's cool to see some other people from WI on here, I was born and raised in Eau Claire. If it didn't have such crappy weather I'd still be living there but I absolutely HATE winter. The cold, the snow and most importantly the slop liquid salt garbage they dump down that rusts the absolute **** out of anything it touches and is almost impossible to completely wash off. There's nothing more aggravating than trying to take apart a rusty car and having things constantly strip or snap off.

Comment

• are you talking about this kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Innov...item2c5cfe0309 i just was looking at it... and no the turbo/header got cut up again after realising that the return line didnt have enough of an angle... trust me ive spent more time making sure this oil system is perfect, than the whole project took to fab/assemble.... i actually dont need it to spool faster, im already pretty much fully spooled at about 3000/3500rpm's..... oh to throw in there as well, the oil in and out are at about 75/80deg., then its a level/drop to the pump then it goes right back up, everythings going great. and yes, its journal.... and i know there's things that can be improved, but that's further on down the road... it seems like its working great right now, but we'll see how things go as soon as tuning begin's...... oh as for the mounting location of the sensor, i only have like 7inches of exhaust on it so, yea its going to be pretty close lol but thanks for the advice.
                Last edited by mstngsrule68; 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM.

2006 turboed kat
                2004 marauder 800

Comment

• Yup that'd be the one except mine have all been blue . I see it went down in price in the last year though. I just paid 200 for the last one I ordered back in December of 09.
                  Does it pull hard till redline? Seems to me if it spools that low that either the compressor or turbine side or both aren't going to flow enough at 11k rpm to hold boost and not restrict. Then again I suppose you are only running ~6 psi...

Comment

• more like 7/8psi, idk how it pulls till redline yet, waiting on that wideban... i dont feel like spinning 11k with it untuned right now lol... its fine for just putt'in down the street to finally feel like i achieved something.... ive spun it to 5500rpm, and it just wanted to go, i don't forsee it running out of flow, plus im not planning on putting it flat out to redline, im going to try to only bring it to 1k under red.. thanks for the concern.

also, i dont mean fully spooled as in its maxed out at 7/8psi and is at the limit, im meaning more on the order that you can hear it whistling pretty good and when you get on it, its (i think, we'll see after the new gauge goes on today) pretty much fully boosted at around 4/4500 or so...... we'll see how it pulls high in the next week or so.. just want to tune it before im opening her up. im sure you all understand.
                    Last edited by mstngsrule68; 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM.

2006 turboed kat
                    2004 marauder 800

Comment

• I love it! That blow-off valve sounds pretty cool. When this thing is tuned, you can tell is going to pull very hard (on the road and possibly arms out of sockets)

Comment

• we shall see... seems great so far... so why does everyone say put all the fairings back on and keep it a "sleeper"? just curious.

2006 turboed kat
                        2004 marauder 800

Comment

• Originally posted by mstngsrule68 View Post
                          we shall see... seems great so far... so why does everyone say put all the fairings back on and keep it a "sleeper"? just curious.
                          Because otherwise everyone can see all the ugly plumbing.

Besides, naked Katanas are freaking hideous.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            Because otherwise everyone can see all the ugly plumbing.

Besides, naked Katanas are freaking hideous.

exactly the reason why i wanted to put them on, just see'ing if i could spark an idea.

2006 turboed kat
                            2004 marauder 800

Comment

• testing out the boost setting on the wastegate, guess it was a little low..... heres a little vid i snagged in the process. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqU7K5UroiA"]YouTube - ‪turbo'ed gsx600‬‏[/ame]

2006 turboed kat
                              2004 marauder 800

Comment

• wow impressive. I want one
                                Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X