X

Another turbo katana build....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holly crap i feel like an idiot, i mean pitot tube, sorry

I think this build is awesome. are you going to run the stock timing?
    Last edited by CHRISKAT600; 01-27-2011, 07:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by CHRISKAT600 View Post
      holly crap i feel like an idiot, i mean pitot tube, sorry

I think this build is awesome. are you going to run the stock timing?
      yes, but im going with colder plugs.
      "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
      2004 marauder 800

Comment

• might need to close up the gap a bit to on them cooler plugs under boost
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

• Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
          might need to close up the gap a bit to on them cooler plugs under boost
          I know, but thanks for saying that so other people would know.. i know i wouldnt have said anything lol.

2006 turboed kat
          2004 marauder 800

Comment

• just so this can be a reference to someone who is thinking about doing this, for going with a colder spark plug.. finally after about 1hour of calling around and calling ngk a couple times. the plug you will need is a cr10eix the best place to get them is going to be oreilly's which there part number is Part Number: 6482 Line: NGK there 8.49 each. and the gap will be started at .025 as well... hope this helps to all future turbo'es

2006 turboed kat
            2004 marauder 800

Comment

• I love turbos but im not really knowledgeable to their needs...why is it better to run a colder plug?

Comment

• because with putting the turbo on you will have more heat. So it helps with detonation

2006 turboed kat
                2004 marauder 800

Comment

• spark plugs are basically heat exchangers
                  the two main functions of a spark plug are provide a spark for ignition, cool combustion chamber temps. depending on the heat range of the spark plug they have a longer or shorter insulater depth. the cooler the plug the more heat they draw away from the combustion chamber/cylinder head. the hotter the plug the less heat they remove.
                  when running a forced air intake you are increasing combustion temps a fair amount so a cooler plug is needed to help control heat.
                  A smaller gap is needed because the higher combustion pressures makes it harder for proper spark timing and reduces " blowing out" the spark. not so much an issue with iridium plugs but closing the gap .005" -.010" can help reduce misfires
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

Comment

• cool guys..ya learn somethin every day didnt mean to thread jack mstng..was just curious...one more thing....IM DYING FOR UPDATE PHOTOS :P

Comment

• Originally posted by zax722 View Post
                      cool guys..ya learn somethin every day didnt mean to thread jack mstng..was just curious...one more thing....IM DYING FOR UPDATE PHOTOS :P
                      never huts to ask... it was a great question
                      Most people think spark plugs create heat, when they actually cool the engine.

FWIW I run the CR10EIX in the summer and the 9's in the spring/fall.
                      Ive been stuck in some serious traffic in Toronto with groups or riders not willing to split traffic and after 10+ minutes in the summer heat the engine started to get really hot. we had one guy lastyear overheat his Kat
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

• ill put some photos up within this week hopefully. if you look on the weather. im in milwaukee right now im looking at snow higher than the house windows.

2006 turboed kat
                        2004 marauder 800

Comment

• Hey OP, I just want to reiterate what was said before about the intake. Here at PITT, we use a 600rr engine on our formula SAE car, and I have done some flow modeling for our intake. With your design, cylinders 1 and 4 are going to have major problems getting air. Also, that plenum is very small (matters less with turboed engines, but still..). This could easily lead to engine problems.

I would also highly recommend a re design while you have the bike apart.

Also, good call on the scav pump for the oil, I got worried when I saw the sideways feed. Hopefully it works.

Cool thread man.

Comment

• been busy doing stuff and working on it when i can and feeling up to it... heres a vid. i shot today. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvpEgbLvsM"]YouTube - First run of turboed suzuki gsx600[/ame]

2006 turboed kat
                            2004 marauder 800

Comment

• mmm so sexy
                              Find a bike with a stock motor that has miles than mine and ill personally send you a certificate declaring your awesomness

Comment

• thanks

2006 turboed kat
                                2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                                X