X

Transmission carnage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission carnage

as many on here know, the transmision on my 05 GSX-R took a dump on me just as I was arriving in Murphy, NC Sat night. Got the engine out and split the cases, and found a shift fork had sheared the locator pin, which appears to have goten wedged between the 2 gears for 6th gear, shearing a tooth off one gear, and scarring the other. here's a couple pics.

John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

That really sucks John. On the bright side you had some kind KR folk to give you a hand getting it apart!

Were you able to locate a replacement yet?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
      '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
      '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Interesting...I'm curious what symptoms did you notice? Tougher shifting, a bunch of noise?

EDIT: And I hope it's easily fixed and you get home safe.
        Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Steve,
          Yes have one complete transmission to go look at tomorrow morning, and if it's good I can get it for $275 complete. If it's bad, Arsenic has one boxed up and ready to overnight to me, so either way I should be able to get it back on the road within the next couple days. A big shout out to Krey and BadFarie. They have been very helpful and kind, I could never hope to repay them for all the help they've given me, along with SKNL2 who hauled his trailer down to Murphy then hauled the bike all the way back out to Ashville (about 100 miles away) for me. The great people on KR, are what makes this site what it is, reguardless of where they live.

BigFish, the only symptom I had was when I was cruising along at around 40mph in 5th gear, the transmission started skipping at light throttle just like a KAt transmission does when it loses 2nd gear. It still seemed fine in 1,2,3,4, and 6.
          shortly after that started, 5th and 6th completely quit working at al, and felt like the bike was in neutral. About a mile later (I was just trying to get to civilization and mty hotel room for the night), the transmission locked up at around 35mph in 3rd gear on a tight downhill left hand turn, locking up the rear tire and tried to toss me off. Once that happened, the bike would only move if I had it shifted to where neutral should be. The neutral light was on, but the bike was acting like it was locked in 3rd gear.
          John,
          sigpic

Comment

If you guys haven't done so already, it might be worth a shot to try and get in touch with Ken Wheeler. If anyone knows how to get one for cheap... it's him.

Best of luck John!
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

yeah he was closed on sunday when we were out there.
              John,
              sigpic

Comment

Props to the KR people that are going out of their way for you :
                Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

Wheelers is closed for the season. Except for MAYBE Saturdays.

Comment

I'm just saying.... Darryl probably has his phone number... and I know that Jimmy has Darryl's phone number....
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Man it sucks to hear this. Hope you get it fixed and back on the saddle so to speak
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        I'm just saying.... Darryl probably has his phone number... and I know that Jimmy has Darryl's phone number....
                        Yep I have his number with whole list of KR Members numbers as well.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

i'm still waiting for pics of john on the big bad faery

Comment

best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
                              best of luck
                              Rumor has it that John is on his way westward.
                              Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Working...
                              X