X

Im Makeing a Wide Body Bag!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
    Watching this thread... I dunno, I think it will be fat and ugly when it is done. Yeah, I know, I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.
    i think there are many ways to do this ugly and very very few ways to make it look nice, i hope he does the latter
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Originally posted by MrSandman818 View Post
      jtdybr-What do you mean by "weirdness is the 90 degree angle"? Im not trackin.
      I didn't mean to be overly critical. Here's what I see... if you look at the bike from the front or the back there is a 90 degree(ish) angle between the new fairing and the seat. It can be seen in this pic:

Often things look different in person than in pics, so ultimately you'll have to decide if 1) it gets seen from that angle often and 2) whether or not you see the same thing I do in pics and in person.
      Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Just curious, what's you're previous working experience with fiberglass/composites?
        Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Interesting....

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
            i think there are many ways to do this ugly and very very few ways to make it look nice, i hope he does the latter
            Originally posted by jtdybr View Post
            I didn't mean to be overly critical. Here's what I see... if you look at the bike from the front or the back there is a 90 degree(ish) angle between the new fairing and the seat. It can be seen in this pic:

Often things look different in person than in pics, so ultimately you'll have to decide if 1) it gets seen from that angle often and 2) whether or not you see the same thing I do in pics and in person.
            Originally posted by Waltari View Post
            Just curious, what's you're previous working experience with fiberglass/composites?
            Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
            Interesting....
            delkampg- Im takeing my time to try and do the latter of the two. But well see when its all said and done.

jtdybr- Ahhh, I see what your saying now. From the top of the Saddle bag is the 90 degree-ish angle. Whats wrong with that? I am trying to maximize space while trying to have somewhat stock body lines. If the top was rounded then idk how kosher that would look, at least to me. But I could be wrong. Like I said before. This is what I sorta envisioned
            for my personal use, ad if people like it and want it then thats rad. I just didnt like what the aftermarket had to offer so I took some ini****ive.

Waltari- Honestly, ive never fiberglassed before in my life, I watched my dad attempt to make a seat frame for a harley once. Other than that I just read the instructions on the back of the container and watched 2 or 3 youtube "how to videos" and took it from there. I took a completely different approach from the videos because they made a outter mold and I ended up makeing a inner mold. Lots of trial and error but I stuck with it and did it a little at a time after work and now after school and a little on the weekends.

Enjay386- I hope thats the good kinda interesting and not the bad kind. haha.
            Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
            sigpic

Comment

To give credit where credit is due, I have watched him building this bag from the start almost, and I have to say it does look awesome on the bike when you get to see it in person. The pictures he has put on here are good at depicting whats he's trying for. But until you actually see it in person you can only guess and imagine.

And further more I also have to blame him for getting me started on bikes. Until he came along I was happy with my 70 Nova, now I have a 95 Kat I am in the final stages of putting back together as a project I bough on Craigslist.

So for all you naysayers I will just say that in person you do get the idea and it is awesome. Almost makes the bike look almost 10 years newer in styling with the saddlebag on it.
              1995 Kat 600 - my new toy
              1970 Chevy Nova w/400hp sbc350 - my first toy
              2004 Chevy Silverado - DD
              2001 Volvo VNL 670 - Work Truck

The number of miles an average person drives in thier lifetime, has only taken me 5 years. And that still is not saying very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummerman94 View Post
                To give credit where credit is due, I have watched him building this bag from the start almost, and I have to say it does look awesome on the bike when you get to see it in person. The pictures he has put on here are good at depicting whats he's trying for. But until you actually see it in person you can only guess and imagine.
                I truly like the idea. Frankly I might be tempted to try it myself once I see the results. Watching this I'm constantly considering what I would do differently. Of course getting feedback from the original craftsman himself is incredibly useful.
                Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Just installed the bottom bracket for the weatherstripping and gel coated over the screws and started to fill gaps and clean it up. I covered the door with plastic wrap so the gel coat wouldnt get on it and mess it up. Still have to fill in one small gap and line up the weatherstripping brackets and get the door to line up and close flush with the bag. Should be done soon...I hope. Tryin to finish this semester out strong and get this done at the same time. I have the MG on the back burner till I finish this bag

Im tryin to blend the gel coat in with the aluminum weatherstripping backing so that it looks seemless when its closed but still opens all the way.
                  Last edited by MrSandman818; 10-25-2009, 08:10 PM. Reason: forgot to comment on a pic
                  sigpic

Comment

edges look really rough. do you plan on making them better?
                    Bling....

Comment

Originally posted by ismatts View Post
                      edges look really rough. do you plan on making them better?
                      Yes, When its finally all said and done then it will be satin black, and if somethings outta place when its all said and done then you guys can make fun of me for being cockeyed or something along those lines. haha
                      Last edited by MrSandman818; 10-27-2009, 12:18 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Haveing trouble with the door. It keeps bowing so I think Im going to make a metal door and re-enforce that. Ill post pics after I figure my life out.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrSandman818 View Post
                          Ill post pics after I figure my life out.
                          Man, I hope you post something before then. If I only posted after I figured my life out, I'd have never posted anything!
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                            Man, I hope you post something before then. If I only posted after I figured my life out, I'd have never posted anything!
                            Hahahaha, Ill try to. My a.d.d. keeps screwing me over. The voltage regulator crapped out on my truck so my brand new optima battery started buldgeing from the 15volt nutt shot that the alternater gave it. Now I have to do the annual replaceing of everything on the front end of my truck because I thought it would be a good idea to lift a half ton truck. And the engine swap in the mg keeps distracting me along with 17 thousand projects. Ill never figure my life out but ill try to keep posting.
                            sigpic

Comment

Its painted!!!!

Well gents and lady. I finally got fed up with the fiberglass door that kept warping no matter how much braceing I put in it. So I went down to lowes and snagged some aluminum diamond plate! Once i it prepped and installed it, I sanded it down the rest of the bag a little more then threw a coat of satin black down and called it a night. Im gonna take it out for some "field studys" to make sure it doesnt leak and so on. If it works out good then im gonna go back and finish sand it then re-paint it. So heres the pics. lemme know what you think.
                              (The white spots in the pic are just finger prints and or crap floating in the air because I was sanding earlier)

sigpic

Comment

its looks good but isn't your passenger going to have a hard time getting their feet on the foot pegs?

Comment

Working...
                                X