The Formal Introduction of Bruce

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good!

Comment

Looks great. Quite a few non-stock pieces there, but they do NOT stand out like a sore thumb. Where do I start:
      1. Thought the windscreen looked a little low-profile, like it.
      2. As stated by other member, rear rotor is cool.
      3. The white gauges are not stock, are they? Very cool.
      4. I REALLY like those mirrors.
      You have my vote for KOTM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck in Austin View Post
        Looks great. Quite a few non-stock pieces there, but they do NOT stand out like a sore thumb. Where do I start:

3. The white gauges are not stock, are they? Very cool.
        4. I REALLY like those mirrors.
        You have my vote for KOTM.
        The white gauges are the cheap ones you will find on eBay. I just didn't install the piece that mounts around the dash lights. That portion of the dash is tinted, and IMO it looks odd to have the white gauge face behind it when it is a different shade than the rest of the faces. It would probably be worthwhile to install a voltage regulator to help increase the life of the lights in the gauges.

The mirrors are another cheap eBay purchase. As purchased they aren't really all that good. First, they only use one of the mirror mount holes and unless you make a plate to cover the second hole, it will still be visible. What I did was fill in the holes in the main fairing and only re-drill the fairing over the lower mirror mount hole. The next problem is how the mirrors mount to the bike. They supply this odd little piece that has the same threads as the mirror mount holes, but as you tighten it, luck is your only hope that it will tighten when the angle is at the right spot. I can pass along how I took care of this with more detail if someone is intersted in giving it a try. The final problem is how in stock form the mirrors don't want to keep adjustment. Here I put a small piece of silicone rubber in the ball and socket joint. Now as I tighten the mirror to the post, it is gripped in more places. Essentially you can imagine the rubber acting as a spring which presses against the ball end of the mirror. With a high enough spring against it, it won't move.

As I've mentioned before, my goal was a look that was "clean and classy with just a slight touch of bling". I wanted it to look different, but almost OEM by design.

-Final note for the evening: I'm not worried about the extra weight of the stainless steel sliders because 1) it's still a Katana - not worried about the 0.05sec decrease in my quarter mile 2) I cleaned enough dirt/grime off this thing that I may still be ahead on weight
        Last edited by Cheriff; 06-09-2009, 11:30 PM.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Very very Nice work Cheriff. Bike looks amazing, and very well put together. Wave rotor on the Kat... definately adds a different characteristic all together. Love the sliders. Interested in the slider ends. I think I might go the same route, btw... Love the headlight divider as well. If you're interested in fabbing somethings up for me, shoot me a pm, we work it out. Once again... great work!
          Last edited by sav; 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM. Reason: added comment
          SAV

Head up, eyes open... always!!!
          Be... and be not afraid.

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

Sweet job!
              Never be afraid of DIY. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

holy cow batman! those are some slick bikes
                1999 Katana 750

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                  X