• Show
Clear All

• Show off!!
    "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

• Awhile back I realized I cut too much off of the top of the downpipes in my attempt to bring the header closer to the engine (and away from the front tire). Basically the flange that secures the header to the head had nothing sticking out of the head to use a leverage to push the header in. My solution was to make thin rings that extend into the exhaust port a little, but also give the flange something to push against. Below I have a picture of the rings in place with zip-ties around them while the super glue dries (super glue only there to hold them in place while I mount the header.. Once the engine gets hot the super glue will burn off, but then it won't matter). The second picture shows the rings with the zip-ties off and the rings in place.

This weekend I also worked on getting the carbs back on, the airbox, cables, coils, ect... Starting to look like a real bike again.

Also finally mounted the oil breather cover.. This required a bit of work as I had to use an angle grinder to change the shape of the back so it would fit under the frame, fill the hole I made in this process with JB Weld, then machine down the cover where the rear bolts sit so that I could get bolts into those holes due to the close proximity to the frame. I had to go with hex head bolts so I could get a wrench on the side since any type of driver from above won't work.

I've already basically shown this picture before, but here is the SA installed (after being powdercoated) with the hugger, rear wheel, rear brake caliper holder, and new chain adjusters all assembled for real this time.

-2000 "750"

Comment

• "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

• Pretty good idea on the exhaust rings, must have been some kind of genius that came up with that idea

Just kidding, looks amazing man.
          Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

• That's a beautiful machine you've got there! Wanna build my fighter? hahah
            Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
            '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

• very nice work bro

Comment

• Thanks for the compliments guys.

Back to action, I've been working on getting the header to fit on. I had to use a grinder and thin down the flanges so they don't hit the head before being tightened. Anyway, got that finished and was able to finally test fit the header, mid-pipe, and slip on. The Hindle mid-pipe holds the slip on so close to the bike that I was worried that the slip on would rub the SA - and properly fitted it would. So instead of getting the mid-pipe bent, I will rotate it until the slip on clears the SA. Then just hopefully rotate the slipon so it's sits straight up and down..... But damn... Just realized that the slip on mounts with those springs and maybe that isn't possible... Hmmm..

Anyway, here is a before and after pic of modifying the down tubes so the header sits further away from the front tire (no fender on in before pic)

-2000 "750"

Comment

• You are doing outstanding work...
                  2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                  Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                  "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                  Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                  Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                  "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

• Vry Nice
                    sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

• Just been reading through this thread, absolutely amazing work, very jealous of your talent and commitment to get this far, nevermind the cash and hours you must have put into it. top work

Comment

• need some help

what you did to you bike with the head light can i do that yo a 96

Comment

• Sweet!

Comment

• Originally posted by katanakid1 View Post
                            what you did to you bike with the head light can i do that yo a 96
                            The exact same thing on a 96 won't work. You might be able to fit one light in there. Search for something with headlight and "sportydrew". I think he did an hid conversion.

Thanks everyone. Still getting closer. Most boring non picture worthy things recently. Still plan on riding at least once before winter.
                            -2000 "750"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                              The exact same thing on a 96 won't work. You might be able to fit one light in there. Search for something with headlight and "sportydrew". I think he did an hid conversion.

Thanks everyone. Still getting closer. Most boring non picture worthy things recently. Still plan on riding at least once before winter.
                              Progress is looking good! I still can't get over that swingarm. I think I'm going to go that route with my krey swingarm.

Katanakid1. Check out the link in my signature.

Comment

• Logged back in and checked out some threads for the first time in quite a bit. Haven't really made much progress over winter. Getting that itch to get in the garage consistently again. And hopefully get this thing done.

Only notable thing I can think of is a switch to 600 oil cooler was necessary for clearing the headers. Found a straight good one for $28 shipped. Oh, and I am adding a gsxfjim gear indicator.
                                -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                                X