No announcement yet.
X

2005 750 turbo katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That turbo is too small in my opinion. I don't think it would be worth your time. I'd put that on a ninja 250 or something, not a kat 750.
    -1999 White FRC Corvette
    -2003 Black Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I'm having trouble with my memory ATM, but on my 1985 300zx turbo that I used to run at the drags, I believe it had stock a T25 turbo? That turbo was good to about 10 psi of boost, anything more heated the intake charge too much. Then again, it wasn't intercooled, I ran NO2.

That turbo is good for about 250 hp, of course that all depends on how the turbo is built. On your bike, you won't be getting anywhere near that number. Honestly, if I were going to all the expense of paying to have my bike turbocharged, I would want a turbo that was more appropriate.

Something smaller that will spool faster, for sure. My 300zx spooled at about 3kRPM, but that was a 3L motor making a stock 205 HP. The amount of exaust flow from a 3l motor is obviously much more than a 750cc motor at any given RPM. Just guessing, I'd bet your turbo wouldn't really start to pump until 7 or 8k, even considering the smaller pipes and higher velocity exaust gasses.

I'm just blowing smoke really, I don't honestly know. My advice though, is to look more deeply into how that particular turbo will perform (maybe look garrett up) in your application. It would suck to dump a bunch of cash into a particular setup and then not like it.

Comment

a T25 on a dsm spools it before 3k, and that's a 2.0 liter. I would think the stock turbo on your 300zx was much bigger. The later year 300zx twin turbos had T25s....only two of them obviously
        -1999 White FRC Corvette

Comment

Originally posted by mdoe8 View Post
          a T25 on a dsm spools it before 3k, and that's a 2.0 liter. I would think the stock turbo on your 300zx was much bigger. The later year 300zx twin turbos had T25s....only two of them obviously

I did a little digging, and you are correct (kinda). The 84-87 Z had a T3 and made 200hp with 6.7psi and a 7.8:1 C/R stock. The 88,89 had a single T25, and made 205 hp @4.5psi, with a 8.3:1 C/R

So with the higher compression ratio, the 88 and 89 models were able to produce slightly better power with less turbo pressure.

Anyway, I guess my car had a T3 and so my actual experience doesn't apply to the T25. Still seems like the T25 is too big, as it is easily capable of pumping enough air to produce over 200hp. I'd want something that tops out closer to 150hp and spools up a hair faster. But then again, the T25 might just fit the bill.

Like I said, talk to someone who really knows those turbos before you sink too much into it and commit to the wrong turbo.

Comment

I was referring to the 1990+ 300zx's. They had twin T25's.

I see where you're coming from for a 150 horse turbo, I can only assume he doesn't want to make more than that!

Quick question...how do kats do when turbo'd? Being air-cooled and all, seems like a recipe to overheat.
            -1999 White FRC Corvette

Comment

hey guys check this out! this gut is using a kkk turbo
              http://www.turbo-bike.com/CBR900-Blackbird.html and the sencond link is a vide.
              http://www.bikepics.com/members/gsxfaaron/05gsx750f/

Comment

dang. goes fast as stink.

Comment

definately keep us informed on any updates you have... i was actually thinking bout throwing a gsxr 1127 in mine and having it built around a turbo... but thats a lil farther down the road

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                  "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I think your main concern would be exhaust housing size since the engine exhaust has to spool the exhaust turbine impeller to actually spool/move the compressor side turbine. The larger the exhaust turbine you have, the longer/harder it is to spool up the compressor side.

When looking at Mitsu turbos, the TD05, TD06, TD07 reference is the 'hot side' or exhaust side housing size..you want a small exhaust side on a small displacement engine as it will spool faster.

You might look into a Mitsubishi Starion 12A turbo. They are 325cfm...the 1st gen Eclipse turbos are 400cfm I believe...you dont want one of these or the turbo you have...it is too large, IMO.

Someone mentioned using a stock 3000gt vr4 turbo. They use 2 tiny turbos on that V6, and using one of them might be perfect.

Also the Eclipse turbo 'automatic' cars use a smaller turbo you could look into.

I think a Garret T-25 is much too large for a 750cc engine. you obviously need to do alot of research on turbos.

What turbo manifold are you going to use? Well you also need to know what type of flange your going to need to bolt the turbo to the manifold. Manifold gasket?

Do any vendors make a manifold that's bolts to the 750cc motor? If not, it will have to be fabricated, which isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination..or cheap.

What about fuel delivery and extra spark? NGK plugs are the best for handling boost

sorry for the book...
                    Last edited by RyanV; 11-14-2008, 10:37 PM.

Comment

They do make manifolds for Bandit 1200's/GSX-R1100's..... and they fit on all Katana engines.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

A turbo B12? That thought scares me, I want it!!!!!!
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanV View Post

You might look into a Mitsubishi Starion 12A turbo. They are 325cfm...the 1st gen Eclipse turbos are 400cfm I believe...you dont want one of these or the turbo you have...it is too large, IMO.
                          actually thats good to know... i still have an old 12a from a conquest that i threw a t3/t4 hybrid on back in the day

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                          They do make manifolds for Bandit 1200's/GSX-R1100's..... and they fit on all Katana engines.
                          if its only that easy... the world is a lovely place
                          Last edited by airforceranger49; 11-14-2008, 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            A turbo B12? That thought scares me, I want it!!!!!!
                            You know, I've watched a lot of 636's run at the track..... I've seen some of them go SO incredibly fast that I couldn't believe it, and then I've seen some that went so slow, I used to wail on them on my Kat!

A turbo B12 might be an amazing thing.... but you could easily accomplish the same level of ridiculous with the bike you're on right now!
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                              wow, if this is true...the hard part is done. I'd go with the smallest of whatever turbos the 1200cc guys are going with possibly

Comment

Originally posted by RyanV View Post
                                wow, if this is true...the hard part is done. I'd go with the smallest of whatever turbos the 1200cc guys are going with possibly

if youre throwing it on a 600, ud actually want to go smaller then that... half the discplacement, so if u used the same size as a 1200, u would have so much lag, u would barely even feel the turbo until the high rev range

my build threads

Comment

Working...
                                X