My '00 Katana 750 Project Thread!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's alive!!!!!

Comment

Alright, I've been spending all my time sanding. For those that said this was not going to be that much work to actually sand the bike... You're smoking crack!

The previous owner's wonderfull attempts to modify the color of the bike several times, most of the time without even being bothered to wash the bike before painting has left me sanding all the way down to plastic in some places! Not to mention the fact that he built up the paint coats so far in someplaces the pain was an eigth of an inch thick! Sanding starts with 60 or 80 grit depending on the thikness of the paint I'm trying to remove then I use a 100, a 150, and a 220. After the 220 I break out the spra bottle and wet-sand using 400 grit. When I put on my primer I'll be wet-sanding with 600 grit between coats, and when I'm aplying the base coat and clearcoats I'll be wet-sanding with 1500 grit.

I was sort of hoping to lay down some pait this weekend but I still have the tank, frame covers, and lower cone fairing to sand down. I spent my three-day weekend last weekend sanding the two larger side fairings. That took all three days. I had intended to sand the other parts during the week but I got so worn out from sanding those other parts that I had to take a couple days away from working on the bike. I read elsewhere on these forums that you take the time you plan on painting and multiply it by ten, so I guess instead of taking two weekends it will be taking twenty... It's only been four weekends... I have no idea how some people can paint their bikes in only a weekend, but then again most people's bikes weren't litterally dipped in flat black paint.

I wish I could paint just the parts I've finished sanding so far, but the type of paint that I bought is the kind that has to get mixed just before application and I don't want to waste any more than I have to. and it was way too expensive to just go buy more... $200

Sort of wish I was riding it now.

Comment

Is everything else done besides the body panels? I know you had used some graffitti remover to get a lot of it off the swingarm and everything. What else needs to be done besides the plastics?

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Comment

looks great! you're doing the kind of work that really lets one appreciate the bike they ride.
          if i may impose my thoughts on your cooling fan: cooling fan? i ride a beautiful gloss black, with the slightest hint of blue flake, '99 kat - oil and air cooled only, in arizona (to those not familiar, arizona has the same climate as the pits of hell). my Kat is'nt even fuel injected and i have yet to have problems with the heat. yes, she gets pretty hot sitting in stop-n-go traffic in 115 degree heat (and so do i because i ride full gear only!), but shes never vaporlocked on me as my 1972 datsun 240Z used to - they employ the same type of carburator.
          as long as you can move once in a while, the bike will outlast you in the heat, and really, if its that hot, a fan will just blow all that heat at you

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro7172
            Is everything else done besides the body panels? I know you had used some graffitti remover to get a lot of it off the swingarm and everything. What else needs to be done besides the plastics?
            Yes Like I said al thats left is the lower cone, the frame cover, and the tank. Then I have to paint. Hopefully I will be done with all those by next weekend. I put the gas tank back on the bike and rode it for a few minutes yesterday that was motivational enough to get me back into good spirits with this project, ost of work yes, but in the end well worth the effort. Just wish I could be done already thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by AZkatana
              if i may impose my thoughts on your cooling fan: cooling fan?
              Like I said i took the bike arround the block a few times without any fairings, or tail light last night. and while I was out the cooliung fan went on and so I'm pretty confident that it's working like it should. Even if I don't really need it it's always better to be safe than sorry right?

Comment

When I put on my primer I'll be wet-sanding with 600 grit between coats, and when I'm aplying the base coat and clearcoats I'll be wet-sanding with 1500 grit.
                You do that and your new paint will be easily chipped. Going with something that fine will not allow the paint to adhere to the base and will chip or peel easily.

I would finish with no more than 600 before spraying color and even then you may have problems with adhesion. I usually go no more than 400 final sanding before spraying. If you want to color sand the final clear then go with 1800 or 2000 and then compound.
                Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Thanx for the advise!

Comment

No problem. You can check out the write up I did here for some tips. It may help you a bit.

Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

any updates?

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Comment

no, no updates, I've been working on a gift for my dad, a 1972 Honda CB750. It's going to be a fathers day present. It only has 9100 original miles, and was garaged it's entire life. so needless to say this thing only needs very minor work to get it up to scuff. I'll be back to work on the Kat as soon as I'm done with this beast.

Comment

Alright, sorry for the looooong delay in updates, pretty much what's happened in the past year is: nothing! At least as far as the bike is concerned. My grandmother passed away last year and it was VERY hard to find time enough to work on the bike. Then winter came. And now I've got a girlfriend who lives 120 miles from me, so weekends are spent with her, commuting, and driving back and forth... anyways, She really want to ride, and since I've been using my Ninja 250R for commuting alot lately I've been getting more and more anxious towards getting the Kat going!

So here I am almost exactly where I left off a year or so ago, I've got the parts, I just need to get everything together...

Checklist:

- Finish sanding the bike, and remove visible paint from the frame
                          - Inspect electrical system and repair where needed
                          - Paint The Bike
                          - Install new lights, and accessories
                          - Ride the bike!

Other things to do:
                          - Brake job
                          - Tune-Up
                          - New Tires
                          - Saddle Bags & Tank Bag

Comment

Working...
                          X