No announcement yet.
X

My '00 Katana 750 Project Thread!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys as you know this bike needs some real tender love and care. I'm doing my best to work on it but I need some parts. I don't really want to pay bikebandit.com prices, but it seems as though the cycle salvage joints arround me don't have and katana parts to sell to me. so I was wondering if any of you guys have the part I need, check out my thread I just created in the "Parts, Gear & Accessories" forum. Thanks guys.

Comment

Alright just got the paint from Sherwin Williams. cost me: $202.54 for everything I need, primer, base coat, and clear coat. As well as thinners, and hardeners. They even threw in measuring cups, funnels, and stir sticks!!! Also I got a formula paint, so if I ever need more, it's just a phone call away and I'll have a perfect match!now I've got to start sanding...

Comment

Alright, thanks to 3rd Gen Jeremy I was able to scrounge up the following parts:

Headlight
        Petcock Valve
        Ignition switch
        Gas Tank Fill Lid
        Saddle lock / helmet lock
        Speedometer Cluster
        Cockpit Infill
        Front Forks

So the only parts I really "need" are a cooling fan complete bolt kit, and the oil lid.

These are parts I've ordered:

Carbon Fiber Bar Ends
        Carbon Fiber Tank Protector
        Carbon Fiber Lever Set
        Carbon Fiber Low-Profile Rear Turn Signals
        Carbon Fiber Mirrors

I still need for customizing, clear turn signals for the front, and a clear tail light, but I'm going to order those parts from clearalternative.com

So if anyone has a spare cooling fan, or oil lid they are willing to part with, I would be very happy!!

Comment

Just found my cooling fan on ebay, used from an '01 600 fo only $6. I'm assured it's in perfect working order. I'm going to buy a smoked windscreen from ebay too.

Comment

Cooling fan... you don't need it, all it does is wear out your battery... I've had mine disconnected since 2001 with no problems. It's nothing more than another gadget thrown in as part of all the California emissions crap...

Good luck on your project!
            sigpic
            Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

It gets VERY hot here during the summer, and I imagine, that in stop and go traffic, anything that could make the air flow over the air-cooled engine will help the durability of the engine.

Comment

That cooling fan is not what you think it is... all it does is blow air up to the bottom of ONE of the carburetor bowls to prevent it from vapor locking, supposedly to ensure you can restart the bike. It does nothing as far as engine cooling. Like I said before, it really serves no useful purpose, it just drains your battery.
                sigpic

Comment

Right, but vapor locking is potentially a serious problem...??

Comment

sounds like yor'e really getting into it, in the restoration, might just be me, but it sounds like your'e going for a carbon theme, be careful that you dont over do it,as too much can be over the top, again just my opinion, good luck

These are parts I've ordered:

Carbon Fiber Bar Ends
                    Carbon Fiber Tank Protector
                    Carbon Fiber Lever Set
                    Carbon Fiber Low-Profile Rear Turn Signals
                    Carbon Fiber Mirrors
                    '99 Suzuki GSXF
                    '67 BSA Spitfire
                    '73 Triumph trident
                    '35 AJS 350 side valve
                    '72 XS2 Yamaha 650
                    '51 BSA A10 Golden Flash
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VidGameKing
                      Right, but vapor locking is potentially a serious problem...??
                      I spent a lot of time on my bike out in the Imperial Valley between San Diego and Yuma, with many stops in El Centro in the middle of summer at 100-110 degrees, never had even the slightest problem with it. It always started up just fine.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bruisa15
                        too much can be over the top
                        The color that I'm painting it is carbon grey! But I don't think it will look too over-the-top. More like it will be tastefuly matched.

Comment

Here's a part I took off today, I went to my local cycle salvage shop and found an upper tripple clamp, they sold it to me for $85 It's already painted and it matched the paint I selected for the rest of the bike! That and it's a much newer design. Must be off a 2003 or newer, no way of really telling I think.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Check out what I was able to do!!! I used "Goof-Off Brand Graffitti Remover" and was able to easily take off the jusk spray paint the previous owner put on the engine and the tranny, and the swingarm.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Alright, totally cleaned the front and rear wheels, cleaned the swing arm brakes, handle bars, sprockets, chain. Powder coated the foot peg brackets, and the rear grab bar. Installed new hand grips levers, and bar ends. Installed new instrument panel gauges, headlight, and cockpit infill painted the muffler's exhaust pipe. Check it out!
                              Attached Files

Comment

It looks like it's coming together nicely, keep it up!

2002 Katana 600
                                1999 Ford F150

Comment

Working...
                                X