X

1988/89 Katana Production Racer - 1990 pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988/89 Katana Production Racer - 1990 pics

This is my 1988/89 Katana 600 prepped for Production 600 in Canada in 1990. I am hoping to restore it from it's broken and dismantled state for vintage racing in 2008. The pictures have been retaken by my digital from paper - hence the date on it.
    For the Canucks out there, Hurst Yamaha is definitely a blast from the past! Mr. Knowles was a good friend who helped out considerably during my "informative" years (crashing) with parts and service support.

Here it is in action:

thats pretty cool
    97 Katana 600
    [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Pretty bitchen! Love the nostalgic pics! Pre's forever!

Comment

Sweet bike !

Comment

So what all was done to it ?
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Although it was a production racer, it was built for a Pro racer - not me! There was no costs spared, as it was also a calling card for the company that built it (Raceline I recall?).

In 1989, the engine was rebuilt and "blueprinted" to tight original specifications. The crank was lightly machined and balanced. Rods were hardened and matched/balanced. Pistons were matched and weighted for balance. There were rules against 5-angle valve jobs, but were not 100% clear, so some rules interperatation were involved there .
            Gears were undercut (I think that is the term) to provide less damaging full throttle upshifts - electric shifters were either too neew and prototype inventions or non existent at the time.
            In 1990, it was overhauled and only required bearings! Thank you Valvoline!

There was some testing done with GSXR1100 cams and they yielded more torque but little in top end, so we stuck with the 600 "spec" cams.

Forks were revalved and used Progressive springs.
            Fox twin Clicker.

Frame was lightened by removing anything deemed unnecessary and repainted.

If I recall, stock it produced 86HP. With the modifications, it gained about 8-10HP. The real advantage in the mods were it spun up quicker.

The big advantage the Katana had over the FZR600 was it's rock steady stabilty and control in the medium to high speed corners, and the superior handling getting into the slow corners on the brakes. Getting out of the slow corners was tough against anything else on the track.

This bike finished 11th overall at the end of the year and didn't race two of 10 events due to an injury to myself.

The highlight for this bike in 1990 was finishing 2nd in class at the CANAM WERA 8Hour Endurance at Shannonville Ontario. And it didn't even finish the race! With about 15 minutes to go, we had a 5 lap advantage on second and the battery fried - the alternator had given up the ghost probably an hour prior to that. We ended up 2nd 1 lap down.

Comment

Originally posted by CBWHellbound
              If I recall, stock it produced 86HP. With the modifications, it gained about 8-10HP.
              Well damn , you coulda gained THAT much with just the Jessica mod .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

This is still with production pipes, stock airbox/filter on for production class. At the time in Canada, the mods allowed were very limited. Getting this much out of this mill was fairly substantial.
                All the engine changes were made to make the engine reliable, and bulletproof for a years worth of abuse. Overkill for the street is obvious, but pretty much a mandatory requirement for the track at that period.

Comment

Great bike, even better story, I enjoyed reading that! thanks
                  2002 GSX-R750
                  2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

Hurst Yamaha....as in PETER Hurst, now of Hurst marine?

I grew up literally two blocks away from Hurst Yamaha when they were on Richmond Rd.

remeber the radio adds....

"HURST...your FIRED!"

Comment

Working...
                    X