X

Bluetooth communicators

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth communicators

Anyone using one? Thinking of picking up a sena smh 5 or the smh 10. Only real diff that i can see besides cost is the 10 has a longer range and battery life as well as an aux input for non bluetooth accessories, But since i would only be using with an iphone, aux input isn't critical. Batt life seems like a non issue as far as they are both capable of charging while in use. Just wondering if anyone has experience with sound quality from either or both units.

Originally posted by cuda2832 View Post
    Anyone using one? Thinking of picking up a sena smh 5 or the smh 10. Only real diff that i can see besides cost is the 10 has a longer range and battery life as well as an aux input for non bluetooth accessories, But since i would only be using with an iphone, aux input isn't critical. Batt life seems like a non issue as far as they are both capable of charging while in use. Just wondering if anyone has experience with sound quality from either or both units.
    I tend to use a helmet that had it built in from the factory. Such as
    Bilt Techno

Comment

There are some really great options on the market. Shop around and read lot's of owner reviews prior to your purchase.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I use the Uclear HBC 100 Moto with a modular helmet. I use it mostly for music from my smart phone but it works fine to answer phone calls. It was only about $140 from Cycle Gear. Battery lasts for up to 10 hours, plenty loud for up
        to 75 mph.

Comment

Great option for GPS also
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Paladin98 View Post
            I use the Uclear HBC 100 Moto with a modular helmet. I use it mostly for music from my smart phone but it works fine to answer phone calls. It was only about $140 from Cycle Gear. Battery lasts for up to 10 hours, plenty loud for up
            to 75 mph.
            I also had the UClear and it worked pretty well.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Now after a little research, I have found more options than ever. Looking at the interphone, they are on the 5th series, and found a few sites with old stock of the 4th gen going pretty cheap, even found one place that has a third gen new in the box going for 75 bucks, the reviews on line really liked the interphone, of course the fifth gen has loads more features than the third, but also loads more cash to lay out ass well.

Comment

I picked up Scala rider Q3s a month ago. So far haven't used them to talk to anyone, just listen to music. It's the only thing like this I've ever tried, but sound quality/volume seems decent enough.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by cuda2832 View Post
                  Hey cuda I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but I was recommended a Oneal Tirade by a friend of mine which is a full face helmet w/ Bluetooth integration! I bought one and it totally rocks they fit big so I would suggest one size smaller than you normally wear, but I picked mine up for $100 on ebay shipped.

Comment

I use the Uclear HBC-200 and like it a lot. I've only used the intercom once and it worked well but use it daily for phone calls with no issues in a full faced helmet.

Comment

i use the torc tb10 its a little quite but i just got it maybe i need to fiddle with it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozt View Post
                        I tend to use a helmet that had it built in from the factory. Such as
                        Bilt Techno
                        Anyone else notice that helmet is a DIRECT copy of Speed and Strength's SS1300 Under the Radar 2.0 Helmet? (My current helmet) I had a bit of a freak-out there, and judging on the price I'm sad I didn't opt for that one. Only $30 more than the SS1300 and it includes a flip-down shade.

I like the helmet too, darn shame, I suppose one day I'll have to pick up this helmet.
                        - Purplehaze
                        All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

I'm pretty sure those are both cyclegear brands. One aimed at street bikes, the other at cruisers.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I've used the Sena smh10 for about 10 months now and find it to be a very reliable unit.

The distances they quote for coverage are accurate for open line-of-sight spaces but can be cut in half when in more built-up / hilly areas, which seems reasonable.

The basic intercom, phone and music player functions are very easy to operate with gloves, but if you need to get into the menu system you will have to stop.

Connecting to other Bluetooth devices is a doddle, It will take you longer to find the correct menu item on your phone or MP3 player than get the Sena into pairing mode.
                            The Sena smh10 can communicate with up to 3 other Sena units ( if I remember correctly the smh5 is limited to one ), and getting 3 units communicating is very easy. Adding a 4th can be a little tricky as you have to remember who initiated the pairing.

If you do loose contact with your group, while the unit will auto connect, it can be a little slow so you will probably force a manual reconnect, it's only a single tap of the main button, but can be an irritation.

Sound quality is for the most part excellent although if you wear ear plugs you may wish it was louder at 70+ mph.

Battery life is excellent, I've gone two days riding with music on between recharges.

The firmware is updatable, and in the 10 months I've had the unit that has been updated 3 times, each time adding some functionality. I do wish the boom mike was removable.

Comment

I also have a Sena communicator except I have the SMH-10R which is the low profile version. I have been extremely happy with it. The prompts are easy to follow and the sound is clear and loud enough to be heard with ear plugs in. I only use it to connect to my phone or GPS so I can't comment on it as a bike to bike communicator. I was on a ride last week and I got a phone call. I answered it just to see how well it worked and the caller didn't know that I was on my bike riding at 60 mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X