X

Not being cheap on Boots!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not being cheap on Boots!!

I decided to upgrade my gear and feel that I should step up into a taller boot that offer more protection. So I decided on getting some touring boots and I figured I won't cheap out on em...I'm actually looking to spend money on good gear.

At the moment I only have MC specific boot that I wear; that is the Icon Super Duty 3. Which is a shorter over the ankle boot with pretty great protection. My concern is that the shin is not really protected.

I'm looking for a good touring boot that has protection in shin, ankle, reinforced heel, and toe area. I DO NOT want race/track type boots. I don't not want to look like a Martian. I need boots that are both stylish and durable and offers protection. Also, as I explore a lot, I need something that I walk around all day and be pretty comfy.

My budget is over $200...and I would like to keep under $400 (closer to $200 would be great but...) I'll post up some of the boots that I've looked at to give you an idea of what I'm looking at and hopefully you can give me feedback or more info etc.

Style wise I like cafe/rocker style boots...Doc Martens, etc.

Here's a few that I have my eye on:

I really like the Gaerne G-Adventure Boots: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...dventure-boots

My concern is that there is no ankle protection...I'm not sure if the straps would protect my ankle in a spill.

I really like the Sidi On Road Gore Tex: http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi...gore-tex-boots

But it doesn't appear to have great protection on the shin (padded shin plate)

Right now I think the Dainese Carroarmato Boots is my top pick: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...gore-tex-boots

TCX Infinity: http://www.revzilla.com/product/tcx-infinity-gtx-boots

I also like the Sidi Adventure Rain, Canyon and the Dainese Long Range.

Any thoughts, feedback, similar suggestions would be great.

Thank you,

D.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

These are my touring boots
    The Alpinestars Web Boots are made to beat the weather. A Gore-Tex internal breathable and waterproof membrane helps to keep your feet dry and a genui…
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

For good all round performance at a reasonable price, I wear the Tourmaster WP 2.0 boots. Light, very comfortable and they will definitely keep your feet dry in a downpour.
      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

It's not my money of course, but from that group, the Dainese look like the winners to me.
        Extra life.

Comment

Um I say you spend the 2-400 on getting your bike to run consistantly
          I am a Penn State fanatic.
          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

He just wants to wear the gear on the train to protect him from the bugs and soul glo.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I am a Penn State fanatic.
              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

jerks

Originally posted by steves View Post
                I've been eye-ing those. Really didn't look into them. All day comfort? Are they on the warm side? How did they hold up in the rain? Any dampness, leaks?
                They price is definitely right...style is not so bad... look almost like the Aerostitch Combat Tourings which I also like.

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                For good all round performance at a reasonable price, I wear the Tourmaster WP 2.0 boots. Light, very comfortable and they will definitely keep your feet dry in a downpour.
                I glanced at the Tourmasters too...will check this out later.
                Last edited by professa_riddler; 06-12-2013, 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                sigpic

Comment

I'm currently wearing an Xelement armored mesh jacket,(also have a textile one by them too for cooler days), Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 pants, a pair of Fly Racing gloves, but feel that I'm incomplete because I don't wear boots. Currently I'm wearing high top sneakers. I mostly commute, but have gone on some longer rides and feel that I need something better to protect my feet and ankles ect. What is the difference between the riding shoes vs. what I'm currently wearing now? Are there a good set of boots for commuting/touring or should I just bring my work/sneakers along to change into after riding? I feel I'm being cheap by wearing my $50 sneakers, but they look to be just as protective as riding shoes.
                  Last edited by Doppleganger3814; 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM.
                  "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
                  1 Corinthians 10:31
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
                    jerks

I've been eye-ing those. Really didn't look into them. All day comfort? Are they on the warm side? How did they hold up in the rain? Any dampness, leaks?
                    They price is definitely right...style is not so bad... look almost like the Aerostitch Combat Tourings which I also like.

I glanced at the Tourmasters too...will check this out later.
                    A* is the only thing that fits my feet right so

No complaints about water tightness. I still do spray them with a water sealer about once/year. They are good for being in the saddle but not great for walking around in. Kristin calls them "moon boots" and hates their existence.

btw I'm on my second set of these. I wore out one pair of the previous model. They lasted me about 4 years though.
                    Last edited by steves; 06-12-2013, 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Take it for what its worth, being that I'm a bit of a noob, but I'll give these a too. Not too hot, comfy (at least for my big feet), and OK to take a walk in. Yes, they do have the moon boot look, but not too many touring boots don't.

Comment

No complaints about water tightness. I still do spray them with a water sealer about once/year. They are good for being in the saddle but not great for walking around in. Kristin calls them "moon boots" and hates their existence.

btw I'm on my second set of these. I wore out one pair of the previous model. They lasted me about 4 years though.
                        Cool. Thanks for the info. The style is so so but not all that ugly but the price and durability is really what I'm digging. I'll give em a look.

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                        Take it for what its worth, being that I'm a bit of a noob, but I'll give these a too. Not too hot, comfy (at least for my big feet), and OK to take a walk in. Yes, they do have the moon boot look, but not too many touring boots don't.
                        Cool. Thanks for the added info.

Originally posted by Doppleganger3814 View Post
                        . Currently I'm wearing high top sneakers. I mostly commute, but have gone on some longer rides and feel that I need something better to protect my feet and ankles ect. What is the difference between the riding shoes vs. what I'm currently wearing now? Are there a good set of boots for commuting/touring or should I just bring my work/sneakers along to change into after riding? I feel I'm being cheap by wearing my $50 sneakers, but they look to be just as protective as riding shoes.
                        Most sneakers don't offer any protection...such as added ankle protection, skid/slip resistant soles, protection at the heel and toe...and a shift pad.

Sometimes I do that....bring a pair of kicks to walk around, etc. But most of the time I rock what I wore while riding, that's why I HAVE to make sure the boots are comfy for walking...most are not but if they feel like my steel toe work boots I usually can live with that.
                        Last edited by professa_riddler; 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        sigpic

Comment

Riding boots usually have a full length shank to protect the foot from penetration.
                          Riding boots (over the ankle) are stiff and designed to prevent ankle rotation.
                          The soles are designed for pavement contact.

I have and do occasion ride in a pair of sneakers, but I really prefer a boot whenever I can.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Have you tried Gaerne? The fit and finish is incredible. I have an overly wide foot, particularly in the toe box, and they are one of the widest. They also have enough room for my calves. Short of one pair of street boots, I've gone over to Gaerne completely; I believe they are the best of the best.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
                              I really like the Gaerne G-Adventure Boots: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...dventure-boots
                              I like the look, love the brand, but haven't tried them. Can't really make any statement on them other than that. Check out what Brian has to say over at Atomic Moto: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...oots_p_81.html (I'm not trying to steer you away from revzilla for a vendor, because they've been awesome to me for CS, but Brian is a boot savant.

In the same brand, check out the Balance line. Minimal armor, but decent protection by way of great construction materials. I haven't crashed my Balance Oiled on the street, but I have crashed them repeatedly offroad, and they have not left me out to limp home yet. (I've now gone to the SG-10 for offroad, but they aren't what you're asking about anyway.) I wasn't initially big on the brown, but it does look good now. They are my go to commuting boots. I can and do wear them all day at work and still be comfortable. I usually forget that I am wearing them. They have become my go-to commuter boot/unknown conditions touring boot. They have enough room at the calf that I can wear my leathers tucked in (and I don't have tiny calves.)

I really like the Sidi On Road Gore Tex: http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi...gore-tex-boots
                              I tried to like them, but they don't fit me. Sidi as a whole is a quality brand, so if they fit you, then keep them on the list. The biggest downfall for me and the On Road is the Velcro straps. Velcro tends to be the first thing I wear out.

A boot I loved until they fell apart in under a couple years time. If I think about it, I'll post up pics. More than a quarter of the stitching had fallen out when I finally retired them. The shifter pads were flopping in the breeze. I thought they were comfy, until I tried Gaerne.

From what I can tell, you are look at the "Adventure" style boot. For my money, the Gaerne Balance Oiled is where it is. http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_79.html Under my normal pants, they look like a brown boot, perhaps you can catch a little of the lower buckle hanging out, but otherwise they just look like plain boots.

Now, I'm assuming your riding mostly on the road, so I would look at the more street oriented boots, as the protection offered is designed more for the needs of a street rider, and they offer better fit and feel for operation of the controls. I'd be hard pressed to overlook these: http://www.revzilla.com/product/gaer...-aquatech-boot I had a pair that had just a couple days of break in before leaving on a cross country ride. They sole had started to come a little unglued, I contacted Revzilla with pics, they contacted Gaerne, sent them back, and since they were out of the stock at the time, I just took the credit instead of replacing them with the same. I will buy another pair.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X