X

Is it worth buying

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth buying

I have a First Gear textile jacket. Feeling like I need to get a leather jacket for it's added protection. Given, that I already have a jacket, do you all agree that it's actually worth spending $170 for the protection of this particular leather?

AVG Sport Toganga Leather Jacket
    Extra life.

There's no denying that in general, a proper fitting leather jacket provides better protection than a textile jacket. Assuming they both have the same armor, of course.

I have both and feel better protected wearing leather. But there are times when I will wear my textile jacket - perhaps it's a very hot day and I'm just making a short, surface street commute. But when I'm riding in the canyons, it's leather jacket and pants, regardless of the temperature.

Now as to the cost, I have purchased all of my leather gear on ebay...either new or slightly used and have saved a ton of money. The most I've paid for a name brand leather riding jacket is $85.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

That's good to know. Maybe I should scour Ebay and Craigslist for a jacket. Seeing as I don't necessarily need a jacket right now. Thanks.
      Extra life.

Comment

In a crash, the difference in protection between leather and textile is pretty negligible. Unless you're going really, really fast, the textile will last through the slide. The big difference is that textile is good for one slide. Leather will frequently survive more than one.

That said, I've got one of each. If it's hot outside or I'm going on base where I have to have bright colors, reflective material, etc. I wear the mesh. Now that I'm retired from the AF and don't have to follow those rules off-base, the black leather jacket comes out of the closet a lot more. I've only got one set of riding pants; black leather. Those come out when I'm going riding to go riding. Otherwise, it's jeans. I know, denim isn't the greatest protection but they look semi-respectable when I get where I'm going and they're good enough protection for most crashes. (Under 45mph)
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          In a crash, the difference in protection between leather and textile is pretty negligible. Unless you're going really, really fast, the textile will last through the slide. The big difference is that textile is good for one slide. Leather will frequently survive more than one.

That said, I've got one of each. If it's hot outside or I'm going on base where I have to have bright colors, reflective material, etc. I wear the mesh. Now that I'm retired from the AF and don't have to follow those rules off-base, the black leather jacket comes out of the closet a lot more. I've only got one set of riding pants; black leather. Those come out when I'm going riding to go riding. Otherwise, it's jeans. I know, denim isn't the greatest protection but they look semi-respectable when I get where I'm going and they're good enough protection for most crashes. (Under 45mph)
          a good textile jacket (from what Ive read) should save you from a serious crash about the same as a leather jacket with the same armor. but as you said the main difference is that textile is garbage afterwards, while leather can be crashed many times (i know because my dad gave me his jacket that he went down in, and it barley looked touched).. but then again there is a reason why racers CANT wear textile in any form
          if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

I want to point out that the effectiveness of a jacket, and the armor it would have, is also rather dependent on the fit of the jacket, as well as the type. If it doesn't fit right, then the armor will move around, and might not be where it should be when rolling on the ground/pavement. I have a mesh jacket that I got when I started riding, and felt safe in because of the armor. But I started getting more experience, and found that when tucking in, I'd have to first fold all the extra material in front of my stomach first because the torso was designed for a 250 pound body, where as I only weighed 170. The arms and shoulders fit, but the rest was too big. I ended up getting a Dainese leather jacket for the fit designed a more slender figure, and when wearing it, it just fits so well.

Leather can protect better, but make sure you're getting something that fits, because an improperly fitted leather jacket may be worse than a proper fitting textile.

Comment

Is it worth $170? Well how much is your skin worth to you?
              Also some good reading in this thread too. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128595

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I lucked into a Joe Rocket 2 pc leather suit on Craigslist for $150. do your research.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks ya'll. I'll keep my eye on motorcyclegear.com. They seem to have pretty nice closeouts from time to time. Hoping to find a jacket or 2 piece suit on craigslist or ebay.
                  Extra life.

Comment

what size you looking to get into? I have a used Icon jacket I will most likely never wear again as I have 2 other leather jackets and a textile.

if ou want new check out other sites as well. Motorcyclecloseouts has some really good deals
                    I am a Penn State fanatic.
                    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                      what size you looking to get into? I have a used Icon jacket I will most likely never wear again as I have 2 other leather jackets and a textile.

if ou want new check out other sites as well. Motorcyclecloseouts has some really good deals
                      Ah why am I just seeing this now??? I bought a S&S Hell n Back jacket off motorcyclecloseouts for $119. Great deal; however, the sleeves are about an inch too short. I have been meaning to post it on KR for sale just to recoup my cost and buy a different one. I would do rma, but their return policy sucks balls. Shame too because I think it's a really nice jacket.

What size are you? I have a 42" chest but 35" arms. Makes it kind of hard to get a proper fitting jacket.
                      Extra life.

Comment

I have this sitting in the closet in size large. You can look up the measurements online but the arms run a bit long for icon so it might be perfect for you. Needs bugs cleaned out most likely and a mr clean eraser to get smog and such out but in otherwise perfect condition. So look up the size and let me know if it woudl work for you and if so we can work something out.

Comment

Thanks Andy. I looked up Icon sizing on revzilla. A large has the right chest size, but 33" arms. I think I will have the same problems unfortunately. My gorilla arms are great for basketball, but wack for shirts and jackets.
                          Last edited by rockat; 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM. Reason: I keep thinking Andy's name is Adam :/
                          Extra life.

Comment

gotcha well good luck.

You should probably consider gauntlet gloves to cover the gap as it will probably be hard to find the right sleeve length.

Comment

Thanks bud. I actually do have some Sedici gauntlets. But, I don't want to look like Urkel when I'm just hanging out with my jacket on. That's a good idea though for riding.
                              Extra life.

Comment

Working...
                              X