No announcement yet.
X

Looking at new helmets...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well then I say your wearing to big of a helmet like 80% of the people on the road. And yes there is 2 main helmet shapes in the shoei. qwest is a intermediate oval and the x12 and the rf1100 is a longer intermediate oval. Arai has many different helmet shapes and they tell you what they are. They understand that people have different heads and make different helmets to fit those people. Ive learned that most people on this site believe the bs that comes out of peoples mouths that have very little experiance in most cases. I try on every helmet that comes in our store and i have hundreds of helmets in stock. So take the word of some online vendor who doesnt actually put helmets on peoples heads or someone who measures and fits people for helmets on a daily basis. How many helmets have you tried on this year zuma??

Comment

Originally posted by jarvis View Post
      I have thought of one of those for really hot weather
      I always wear glasses and not worried about getting any prettier
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I have owned a lot of helmets over the last 30 years, with the likes of Bell, Icon and a few others. my favorites have always been Shoei and Arai, with Arai coming in first.

Shoei: well, it's a Shoei. pretty hard to go wrong with one. only thing I am not fond about with Shoei is that the sizing is more approximate than exact, so unless you find one that fits your head exactly, you need to compromise a bit. it's like jeffer said....two types of ovals, then the small, meduim large thingy after that. I also find shoei to be a bit noisier (wind) than Arai.

Arai....can't beat an Arai, imho. downside....they cost you. I paid like a $1000 for mine over 10 years ago, maybe closer to 15. didn't use it that long, mind you. once it was toast I just didn't have another $1000 to dump into one, and wasn't interesting in downgrading models, so I went with a shoei until the day comes I get another Arai. one thing I do like about Arai...wider selection of helmet shapes and sizes. and screw the sizing charts with Arai because they just don't work...at least not as well as actually having a rep fit you in person. I used a chart to buy mine, and it said medium. when the rep fitted me at the bike show, he said I needed a small. I told him he was nuts, but I tried it, and it fit. my head is shaped for the Arai Vector model, in small. Arai is also one of the quietest helmets you can get.

but if neither Shoei or Arai are what you are considering....well, then it is just a crap shoot as far as I am concerned. one is no better/worse than the other. all you really need to do is stick your head in one and see if it fits.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffer949 View Post
          How many helmets have you tried on this year zuma??
          You got me there, man. Not too many, and I only try on one at a time.

But seriously, when I bought the Shoei, I was living in the wilderness, in a place where motorcycles were almost unknown...and you think I'm joking. There were no Shoeis to try on for hundreds of miles. And it doesn't sound like Scout will be modeling them either, being in a situation similar to mine when I bought the Shoei, which amazingly fit well...except that sometimes I felt so cool when I wore it that I got the big head and at those times it fit a little tighter.
          Last edited by zuma; 12-29-2012, 07:39 PM. Reason: never knew helmet god was reading this stuff

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Check out the rules at the local track if you have one there. Here, track helmets have to be SNELL approved..... not sure of the states, or Okinawa. A good helmet doesn't have to be based on price. My HJC CSR1 is my daily favourite....... but the ZOX is both Dot/Snell approved....... and I'm still riding. Based on what I know how you feel about helmets in the first place, get one that fits for a decent price.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I bought a 2012 Bell Star last week. A guy bought it, tried it on once and didn't like the fit, turned around and sold it to me for half price. Still had the tags, sticker on the face shield, etc. I bought it without trying it on but it fits me like perfectly.

This is a helpful chart that not only shows you the size and weight but also the shape and safety ratings of various helmets. This is how I knew the Bell would fit me: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                Check out the rules at the local track if you have one there. Here, track helmets have to be SNELL approved..... not sure of the states, or Okinawa. A good helmet doesn't have to be based on price. My HJC CSR1 is my daily favourite....... but the ZOX is both Dot/Snell approved....... and I'm still riding. Based on what I know how you feel about helmets in the first place, get one that fits for a decent price.
                that sort of goes along with my way of thinking....which is "go for broke or stay home". that means either invest $400+ in a Shoei or Arai....or pick up something for $200 tops. I kinda look at the $200-400 helmets as "paid too much, or not enough" helemts.

Comment

Since I have to wear a helmet here, I might as well have one that has great air flow, looks good and has great safety technology. As much as I hate wearing one, no sense in skimping, since it'll be on my head all the time, right? I really like the Sharks, even though they're European make. The safety standards for helmets over there exceed DOT and Snell, so I have no compunction against buying one.

Thank you all for your input, as well as opinions etc. I'm learning more about helmets with each passing day (including that while Icon buckets look -great-, they aren't the best for safety).
                  ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                  チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                  Semper Fi

Comment

i got a Gmax 68S and ordered it online and surprisingly it fit PERFECTLY for me. only problem i don't like about the lid is its noisy as all hell because of all the vents. if your looking for good ventilation, in general, it will be a lot noisier on the highways than one with less ventilation. i also got a scorpion (the cheaper model) and it fits very well as well, but with a lot less ventilation, its a lot quieter than my Gmax. the scorpion is my winter helmet for those reasons

if you can get to a place to try on lids i would really recommend it. even tho i ordered mine online and i get real lucky, I've since tried on a few helmets at my shop using the sizing i would have ordered them with, and they didn't fit worth a shit. also try to get one that doesn't kill your field of vision. my scorpion has a bit smaller visor compared to the Gmax and it gets REALLY annoying. its hard enough to see the ass hat that's trying to cut you off as it is. why make it worse?
                    Last edited by boomer_95; 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM.
                    if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Helmets are like athletic shoes, the size is only half the story. It really is a try it on type fit to find that one that fits best. I usually try to order from free returns sites and get the two that should fit best and return the loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                        Since I have to wear a helmet here, I might as well have one that has great air flow, looks good and has great safety technology. As much as I hate wearing one, no sense in skimping, since it'll be on my head all the time, right? I really like the Sharks, even though they're European make. The safety standards for helmets over there exceed DOT and Snell, so I have no compunction against buying one.

Thank you all for your input, as well as opinions etc. I'm learning more about helmets with each passing day (including that while Icon buckets look -great-, they aren't the best for safety).
                        because you hate wearing one, all you should really concentrate on is finding one that fits comfortably. I am like you...hate wearing a helmet. hell, I used to hop on my bike and ride 90 minutes to NH just so I could take it off and ride without it.....when I had the time, that is.

trying to find a helmet that has "everything" is an expensive journey. safe, comfortable and quiet...only helmet I came across in the last 30 years that has all 3 is Arai. the rest....never seemed to find one that was truly comfortable, and quiet. they are all safe.

I bought a scorpion on the way back from the Gap in '09, after trashing my shoei. it was on sale for like $125 (half price) or something, and everyone seems to say good things about scorpion. my thoughts on that....these folks probably never tried on many helmets. it felt ok in the showroom (had a bit of doubt, but ignored my gut feeling), and the price was right, so I bought it. but after my first ride on the road....well, it took me all of 15 minutes to start hating. it has to be one of the noisiest pos helmets I ever bought. want a good deal on it? $100 and it's yours. I wore it once for about 3 hours, now it is stored in it's bag on a shelf, along with a brand new tinted visor I bought for it.

my advice, Scout...if possible, is to buy locally if you can and try them on. if you hate helmets now, wait until you order one online, wait for it, then find out is about as comfortable and noisy as wearing a cardboard box on your head.

but if that is not possible, they are having a big sale on helmets right here...

my advice if shopping/purchasing online.....go for one of those helmets on sale for under $100. that way if you do end up "not liking" it, you can just use it until you find something better and then toss it in the trash.
                        Last edited by Mojoe; 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Talk to a Shoei dealer on the phone if you can. Determine whether or not you can return it for a better fit if necessary. I measured my head (forehead/hat band) and we came up with the size, and it fit great, better than previously tried on or purchased lids.

Again, there were no Shoeis to try on in my location at that time. It was the look that got me, but once on, the other amenities caught up with the good looks. It's the most affordable "expensive" helmet out there as far as this long haired mountain boy is concerned.

But that's just me. If you dislike helmets because you like the wind hitting your face, then you might look into (or out of) an open faced helmet. They are less expensive. Not for me though.

In Oct of '07 I flew face first from my Kat on Interstate 20 at 68 mph, and the first contact with the pavement was the chin portion of my full faced helmet.

Had I not been wearing a full facer, and survived, my gum chewing days would have ended. With the full facer, I felt a jolt, but no injury to my head. Only some road rash on my arms and two sprained ankles.

But it's your thang...do what you want to do...I can't tell you who to sock it to...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                            my thoughts on that....these folks probably never tried on many helmets.
                            +1

You get what you pay for in a big way.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                              my advice if shopping/purchasing online.....go for one of those helmets on sale for under $100. that way if you do end up "not liking" it, you can just use it until you find something better and then toss it in the trash.
                              Not really anywhere to go try on helmets here. At least not decent ones. Lots of "novelty" half shell/skull cap types on shelves here. Most of the 50,000 "motorcycles" here are scooters (a full 90% I think) so there is not a big market for good full face lids.

'I don't want a POS helmet. And I don't want to wait a month or two to have a cheap helmet shipped over, find out it's a cheap POS, and spend another couple months waiting for a good one to get shipped.

As far as noise, I dont give a rat shit about how noisy it is. There's only one "highway" here, and I only use 15 miles of it, ever. It's only 34-ish miles in total length, anyway. Safety/price are the two main concerns for me. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wreck/crash/get hit here, so I'm gonna follow that gut feeling.

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                              Talk to a Shoei dealer on the phone if you can.

But it's your thang...do what you want to do...I can't tell you who to sock it to...
                              I will, Dan. Thanks for your help. I'm not down with those open face jobs, though. To goofy lookin, and way to unsafe. I dont wanna mess all this up! ::Gestures to his own beautiful, worship worthy face::

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              +1

You get what you pay for in a big way.

I agree totally, Scotty.
                              Last edited by Scout; 12-30-2012, 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                              Semper Fi

Comment

If your where your sig says you are I'd imagine that Shoei's and Arai's would be cheaper considering they are made in Japan. I dont believe that there isnt a store that doesnt carry them. Id look harder Im sure they are out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X