X

Gear up your passenger!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's another point to consider here that nobody has yet mentioned -

A bit of concern for your fellow riders. Over here in Scotland, where most roads, especially up in the Highlands where the roads are nothing but constant "Z" bends, it can get a little bit hairy to say the least.

While it is a personal choice to wear or not to wear A.T.G.A.T.T. I would hate to be the guy that comes round the next bend to find someone who has turned themselves into a convincing impression of raw mince. Would you want to be the one saving Mr. Idiot's leg by scrapping half of it up with a shovel ? More to the point, would you want someone having to do it for you ?

It's an entirely different kettle of fish helping someone up that's crashed their bike back onto the road to limp home, or even a more serious accident where the the bike is trashed but the rider has at worst a broken limb but the rest of him is intact with not a drop of blood spilled.

I don't say all this because I'm squeamish or anything, I used to poke about with severed limbs back at university in the labs.

I just think it's entirely inconsiderate to the rest of your fellow riders to put them through scraping you up of the road when there is no need for it to be that way, when there is so much affordable gear out there for everyone's price range and whatever climate they live in.
    My country is the world...... my religion is to do good.

Comment

Originally posted by delbutler View Post
      There's another point to consider here that nobody has yet mentioned -

A bit of concern for your fellow riders. Over here in Scotland, where most roads, especially up in the Highlands where the roads are nothing but constant "Z" bends, it can get a little bit hairy to say the least.

While it is a personal choice to wear or not to wear A.T.G.A.T.T. I would hate to be the guy that comes round the next bend to find someone who has turned themselves into a convincing impression of raw mince. Would you want to be the one saving Mr. Idiot's leg by scrapping half of it up with a shovel ? More to the point, would you want someone having to do it for you ?

It's an entirely different kettle of fish helping someone up that's crashed their bike back onto the road to limp home, or even a more serious accident where the the bike is trashed but the rider has at worst a broken limb but the rest of him is intact with not a drop of blood spilled.

I don't say all this because I'm squeamish or anything, I used to poke about with severed limbs back at university in the labs.

I just think it's entirely inconsiderate to the rest of your fellow riders to put them through scraping you up of the road when there is no need for it to be that way, when there is so much affordable gear out there for everyone's price range and whatever climate they live in.
      Word.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

i'm with (almost) everyone here.. whether YOU, the driver and one in CONTROL of the bike, wear gear or not is your choice... but the passenger is NOT in control of the bike. nor are they usually aware of the dangers if YOU, the driver, makes an error, or another vehicle makes an error.

i will repeat, the passenger has NO CONTROL of any outcome that may happen to them.

i always told my ex when she got on the bike to wear a full face helmet, a good jacket, sturdy pants (at very least jeans), gloves and ankle high boots or she didn't ride with me.. and she always did

wickeded: car seat belts and no gear on a bike are 2 COMPLETLY different arguments. I've actually heard police officers say "if they were wearing there seat belt, they would have been allot worse off"... how many times have you heard that about gear on a bike? if you hit something, say 60 Kph, in a car, you will have whiplash, regardless of wearing a seat belt, and maybe a broken arm or hand from whatever you hit.... on a bike, same scenario, you will be flung far from the point of impact and slid down the road for a mile+... with gear, maybe a broken limb and a bruise or two... no gear, extreme road rash, broken limbs, and lots of internal/head injuries

but thats my oppinion i guess
        Last edited by boomer_95; 05-27-2012, 07:18 PM.
        if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

I was a little disturbed this morning at what I saw. I met my dad at his club for some breakfast and upon leaving saw a guy and his daughter getting ready to leave on his bike. The girl was probably only about 6 or 7 and was wearing a little dress. He put on her helmet and that was all she got. I almost wanted to say something...

I'll admit that lately with the heat I've been skipping the jacket at time, but that was just unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
            I was a little disturbed this morning at what I saw. I met my dad at his club for some breakfast and upon leaving saw a guy and his daughter getting ready to leave on his bike. The girl was probably only about 6 or 7 and was wearing a little dress. He put on her helmet and that was all she got. I almost wanted to say something...

I'll admit that lately with the heat I've been skipping the jacket at time, but that was just unacceptable.
            Agree 100% on this one... hate seeing it but what can you say...

Almost as bad as seeing idiots on the passenger side of cars/minivans with their feet on topp of the dash, hence, on top of the pass side airbag... common sense seems to be lacking as of late....
            "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
              That makes me sick.
              Christine
              Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

Comment

Yep, it made my stomach turn. Cute little kid too.

I'm old enough at 34 to understand and accept the risks of not wearing all my gear when I hit the streets. She was young enough that even if you explained it to her, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have understood.

I'm all for letting people do what they want with their lives, but that made me mad. If you want to ride without a helmet, that's fine with me. If you want to ride in a pair of shorts and sandals, that's your prerogative. It's your life and this is a free country, but if you aren't old enough to even spell the word jacket, that's a different story. Unfortunately, these days it looks like kids need protection from even their parents stupidity.

Comment

on the maiden voyage of my wife's new helmet, and jacket, that I bought her (long before engaged), back on May 19, 2005...we had a life threatening accident....doctors told my wife's family (again, before engaged) that, the gear, saved her life....
                  of course, I know, it was the Grace of God, and, the fact that he gave me the common sense knowledge to buy the gear for her....

ATGATT

period.

or else, you do not ride with me...
                  vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                  midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                  Go Cardinals!

Comment

I don't take passengers period my 1st season is all solo riding to bring up my skill set. i just don"t get why no one understands the danger wearing only sneakers shorts and a tank top get them into let alone if the the rider riding like a douche like i believe it was last summer in toronto a girl got on this guy bike helmet only while he races through the hwy cops pursue he punches it drops her in the process and she was literally torn apart on the highway and the next day i see more girls dressed the same way. i just don't get it

Comment

Like I said google road rash queen and read that story.

I made my wife read it before she got on a bike.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tec View Post
                        Like I said google road rash queen and read that story.

I made my wife read it before she got on a bike.

Tom

That a crazy story. I think I'll keep my wife from reading that or she'll hound me to never ride again. I've been hit and the road rash was the worst and most painful part.

Comment

Working...
                        X