X

Riding Jacket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding Jacket

I been wondering for a while what i should look for in a riding jacket?

I'm 6'9" about 315lb i wear mostly 4xl tshirt since most of them if they shrink they still long enough if i'm bending over.

so i want something that fitting and long enough when i'm on a bike i done scare the person behind me. something safe is also very important.

so what brand suggest do you suggest?
    so what options should i look for ?

and who do you recommend for brands with the larger men options

thanks
    manny

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
    >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

Look for something specifically made for riding. I'd avoid anything with fringes just because those are generally designed with looks in mind more than protection. Living in TN, you're going to want a nice 3-season jacket. I really like my Fieldsheer mesh with the insulated liner. I take the liner out in the summer and it's nice and cool. With the liner I'm good down to about 50 degrees (45 for short rides) and I can ride in colder weather than that if I layer up.

Another nice thing about the mesh and fabric jackets is that they frequently come with reflective piping and panels. Lights you up like a christmas tree at night without making you look like a dork.

Leather is slightly better protection and, depending on the slide, may last through more than one drop. Mesh protects fine but you can expect it to be good for one wreck, no more. In either case, make sure that whatever you buy has integrated CE padding in the elbows, shoulders and along your spine.

I don't know about the super sizing (I'm a scrawny little runt) but check the fit while leaning forward and holding your arms out in front of you to make sure the back doesn't ride up and the sleeves are long enough.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Textile at minimum, preferably leather.

Anything from a decent name brand.

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have a couple Speed and Strength jackets and love them.

They are cheaply priced- but good quality.

Comment

Try some on at a local dealership to learn about available brands and features. If you order online, go with a site that is hassle-free on returns, like Revzilla, Leatherup, Motorcycle Superstore or New Enough.com
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
            Try some on at a local dealership...
            Definitely! When I bought my last jacket I ended up getting it from the local shop. Figured I'd spent enough time there checking out the jackets that I ought to. I talked to the owner about the price and he ended up coming close enough to the online price that it was a wash. Had the jacket in my exact size and color choice two days later.

If you've got a smartphone, there's an app called Redline that scans a barcode and searches the internet for prices. Makes haggling over price a lot easier if you can show a shop owner ten prices that beat theirs. They may not be able/willing to match the lowest price but they did have to pay something to maintain stock on hand, have a showroom, etc.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Indeed. Good point, Bill. I think it's pretty crappy that people will go down to a local shop and fondle their gear for an hour before returning home to order the same thing online. Support your local shops when you can. They may not be able to match the prices of the big Internet retailers, but as long as the price is reasonable, you can support them so they'll be there for you in the future.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Don't get me wrong. When the store prices are twice what I can get it for online and they're not willing to budge then I leave. I'm all for a business making a profit but I'm not interested at all in getting screwed. When their markup is over 100% I'm out of there. At that point they deserve to go out of business.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                X