X

cold weather gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold weather gear

Two nights a week I ride 45 minutes home from class at 21:00.. its starting to get a little chilly and I need to get some 'leathers' for the ride home. I'm going to continue riding until it reaches mid-30s centigrade and am looking for suggestions.. I need something light I can carry in my backpack to class or secure in a tail bag.. anyone have any input?

mid-30s centigrade is 95fahrenheit. That's pretty hot. Like Miami in July hot. Don't you mean mid 30s fahrenheit. Just being a di*&. lol

If cheap is also the criteria. A set of coveralls will do.

My biggest complaints when it's cold out is my neck and the tops of my feet if I'm wearing tennis shoes that have a mesh top.

Comment

I stay warm in the winter buy wearing under-armor and thermals. Then I layer up, long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, then ridding jacket. For hands I have winter gloves and a bunch of hot hands. I wear skiing socks and then my regular riding boots. Face under-armor face mask. I ride just about all year round. You probably don't get as cold as we do here. Look at jackets that have a quilted liners.
      2005 Gsx600f- My baby
      1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
      Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

underarmor is your friend
        "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Ijust got some cold killers on sale at Cyclegear last weekend. Windproof outer shell and a fleece liner. Very compact and light weight. Haven't had a chance to try it under my perfed suit yet. Got the top and bottom for $50. Will post * review soon.
          Hobbies (Beating You)

Comment

For colder weather, nothing beats a good set of textiles. While leather is great at protecting, it also transmits cold very well. Textiles will keep you warmer in that regard. Check out motorcyclegear.com for a pair of overpants, and jacket if your budget will allow. My personal preference is a Firstgear Rainier jacket and HTII overpants - very good water resistance, and excellent for winter riding.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Just bought one of these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ir-Jacket.aspx for North Florida Winter.. Was about 50F this morning and was incredibly comfortable with just a short sleeve polo under it (work clothing).

Note: They put the dumbest "power trip" patches on the bottom-front and upper back... But just get a thread cutter (what my girlfriend calls a seam ripper?) and you can take the patches off really easy.

Comment

I myself don't rude much when it gets below about 280 Kelvin, but a good pair of gloves and some warm boots will help.

Electric gear is good too, I know that there have been some deals out on the first gear stuff lately.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

fur coat with many layers underneath. Then Chewbacca boots, fur pants and ride
                  sigpic

Comment

Kelvin? Haha guess I deserving that for mixing up C and F... Thanks for the replies!

Comment

oh, forgot, purple fur helmet, pimpin
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                        oh, forgot, purple fur helmet, pimpin
                        What about something like that?

Comment

That picture just caused me to throw up in my mouth a little.
                          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Good one, Steve. I'm about the same. I generally don't ride below 500 Rankine.

Comment

Speaking of cold weather, my cold weather gloves (Tourmaster Polar-Tex) aren't warm enough for many days here in the winter. I can't really ride when it's below 40 F and extended rides when it's below 45 or so get uncomfortable. Are there some sort of glove liners out there I could get to expand my riding temp range?
                              Gib mir Benzin
                              Es fliesst durch meine Venen
                              Es schlaeft in meinen Traenen
                              Es laeuft mir aus den Ohren
                              Herz und Nieren sind Motoren [rammstein]

Comment

Working...
                              X