X

Boot Choices

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Choices

Well, after the wonderfully graphic thread with the nasty picture, I've decided I want new boots. I don't think my current boots offer enough ankle protection as I want.

I'm looking at something like these Spidi Xpd XP-3 boots.

I'm wondering if anyone has anything like this and wanted to see how comfortable they are off the bike? I would be wearing them all the time and didn't want to find out after purchasing them that they are very uncomfortable off the bike.

Does anyone else wear anything like this when riding on the street to go to the store or something like that? Or maybe my current boots are sufficient and I shouldn't worry so much.
    Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 08-18-2011, 09:55 AM.

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
    Well, after the wonderfully graphic thread with the nasty picture, I've decided I want new boots. I don't think my current boots offer enough ankle protection as I want.

I'm looking at something like these Spidi Xpd XP-3 boots.

I'm wondering if anyone has anything like this and wanted to see how comfortable they are off the bike? I would be wearing them all the time and didn't want to find out after purchasing them that they are very uncomfortable off the bike.

Does anyone else wear anything like this when riding on the street to go to the store or something like that? Or maybe my current boots are sufficient and I shouldn't worry so much.

The higher the better.....your boots will protect your ankle, but nowhere near the extent of the ones you're looking at buying. I personally wear the tcx xcube boots, but I'm thinking of getting a pair of the tourmaster solution boots. The only negative to the boots you're looking at is the ability to walk in them. For riding and protection, they are awesome. If you need to run errands with them, they might be a little uncomfortable. I'd say go with a touring style boot. Similar protection and a little more comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by indianboy7 View Post
      The higher the better.....your boots will protect your ankle, but nowhere near the extent of the ones you're looking at buying.
      That's what I figured. I got them on sale for $41 but after wearing them a couple times, I just don't think they offer as much protection as I'd like.

Originally posted by indianboy7
      I personally wear the tcx xcube boots, but I'm thinking of getting a pair of the tourmaster solution boots.
      Are these what you are looking at buying?

Originally posted by indianboy7
      The only negative to the boots you're looking at is the ability to walk in them. For riding and protection, they are awesome. If you need to run errands with them, they might be a little uncomfortable.
      That's what I figured. When I come to work, I carry my normal shoes in my backpack so it wouldn't be a problem. But running errands, I think it might. I hate to buy boots that offer great protection and then only wear them "sometimes". With my luck, something would happen when I wasn't wearing them that day.

Comment

For boots, in my case at least, it's all about fit. Most boots aren't big enough in the toe box for me.

Make sure to try on some different brands before you buy.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I tried on a bunch of Sidi, Alpinestars, and Icon boots, they all seemed good but I thought I'd try on some moto-cross/street hybrid boots by Thor for ****s and giggles, and they actually felt far and away the comfiest while walking and riding, also the safest for the price. I'm wearing them right now at work. All the buckles and everything have replacement parts which are nice too. They also were one of the few boots I tried on that fit to size correctly (I'm size 12).

They are the Thor 50/50 boot. Read the reviews all are very positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedison View Post
            I tried on a bunch of Sidi, Alpinestars, and Icon boots
            Were they similar in style to the ones that I linked to above? How comfortable were they as far a walking around?

Originally posted by Jedison
            I'm wearing them right now at work. All the buckles and everything have replacement parts which are nice too.
            How is the ankle protection compared to the higher Spidi boots? Is it stiff or flexible like the ones I have?

I was also looking at these Cortech Latigo Boots. The reviews are very positive, they seem to offer as much protection as the Spidi and are a good bit cheaper. A couple reviewers mentioned that they are comfortable to walk around in also.
            Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
              Were they similar in style to the ones that I linked to above? How comfortable were they as far a walking around?

How is the ankle protection compared to the higher Spidi boots? Is it stiff or flexible like the ones I have?

I was also looking at these Cortech Latigo Boots. The reviews are very positive, they seem to offer as much protection as the Spidi and are a good bit cheaper. A couple reviewers mentioned that they are comfortable to walk around in also.
              The Sidi ones I tried weren't the racier looking ones, but the plain black ones. Them and the Alpinestars felt roughly the same. They were taller but I didn't like the way they felt on my calves when walking, I think they'd probably feel really comfy though when your legs are angled and you're flicking gear or brake levers. I tried some Alpinestars racier style ones and they seemed overkill after trying the Thor boots.

The Thor's are a good blend between stiff and flexible I found, there's a ton of ankle and achilles heel support and they're plenty high so they won't fly off. Now that I've worn them and broken them in they're really comfy. I think Sidi's are nice but in Canada it was like paying $250+ for Sidi's or $130 for Thor's that felt nicer to me.

Those Cortech's look nice. The only thing I guess the Thor's would also have going would be a grippier more rugged looking sole.

Comment

I have a pair of Tourmaster Solutions and they fit well with the Kat's shifter and I love that they are waterproof. They also aren't flashy and fit well under jeans/dress slacks so you could get away with wearing them at work...except for the reflectors at the heels...those give it away.
                "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

Originally posted by kat_pilot750 View Post
                  I have a pair of Tourmaster Solutions and they fit well with the Kat's shifter and I love that they are waterproof. They also aren't flashy and fit well under jeans/dress slacks so you could get away with wearing them at work...except for the reflectors at the heels...those give it away.
                  i like my solutions. they are comfy enough for all day wear.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The boots you show don't offer any lateral ankle support.you can get a better boot for a few more bucks.
                    Hobbies (Beating You)

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      For boots, in my case at least, it's all about fit. Most boots aren't big enough in the toe box for me.

Make sure to try on some different brands before you buy.
                      So you never tried making cutouts to accommodate large toes, I suppose?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by 68gts View Post
                        The boots you show don't offer any lateral ankle support.you can get a better boot for a few more bucks.
                        Do you have another suggestion?

I saw in the video review that there was some form of protection, but it might not be sufficient.

Comment

not to thread jack, but i have these River Road Trad Toe Harness Boots, they fit well (try on a pair of frye boots and they should be the same), cover up the shin, look great off the bike and have some metal in the toe to help shifting. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by Banana View Post
                            not to thread jack, but i have these River Road Trad Toe Harness Boots, they fit well (try on a pair of frye boots and they should be the same), cover up the shin, look great off the bike and have some metal in the toe to help shifting. What do you guys think?
                            It is exactly what I wear, but I think my brand is H&R. It's the only type I wear.

I high sided at about 68 mph in Oct of 07, hit chin first and tumbled rolling on my sides, chest and back seven times at a very high speed on Interstate 20. I didn't break anything, but I did have sprained ankles. It was my ankles that had the most impact, slamming the pavement as I tumbled, but the boots kept them from breaking...a thing the EMTs and the nurse who was first on the scene could not believe.
                            Last edited by zuma; 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I just purchased some Tour Master Response's and they seem to be pretty comfortable. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oad-Boots.aspx

2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Working...
                              X