Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bell helmets with Transitions face shields?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell helmets with Transitions face shields?

Has anyone ridden with one of the new Transitions face shields? They supposedly only fit Bell helmets. The idea of a face shield that changes from dark to light depending on the conditions is very attractive. Too bad I don't have a Bell helmet so I would have to get a whole new helmet if I wanted to use it.

Anyone have experience with this product? Is it as good as it sounds?
    Gib mir Benzin
    Es fliesst durch meine Venen
    Es schlaeft in meinen Traenen
    Es laeuft mir aus den Ohren
    Herz und Nieren sind Motoren [rammstein]

Originally posted by wolfram View Post
    Has anyone ridden with one of the new Transitions face shields? They supposedly only fit Bell helmets. The idea of a face shield that changes from dark to light depending on the conditions is very attractive. Too bad I don't have a Bell helmet so I would have to get a whole new helmet if I wanted to use it.

Anyone have experience with this product? Is it as good as it sounds?
    I was just looking at them and they are real nice. 2 problems for me are that my cheeks are a little round and the pads felt tight, so head shape comes into play. And the helmet is around $380 and the shield is $120, so you're looking at $500. I know the Bell is good, but it was out of my price range.

I ended up buying a close out scorpion exo1000 RPM in black/gold with the dropdown tinted glasses for $249ish through motorcyclesuperstore.
    '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
    ME.

Comment

I'll have to check them out. I have a Bell that needs a new viser and a transitions would be sweet.
      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

What happens when you drive through a tunnel? I hope they change quickly, my older pair of transition glasses were crap because they took so long to change brack from shades to normal. (Not that I drive through many tunnels.)
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I have the Bell Vortex... AMAZING helmet... the cheek pads are a little tight at first but after a few hundred miles they soften up nicely... i don't have the transition shield but I am going to get it ASAP... I got the helmet for about 145 marked down from 179. The Bell Star is the only other Bell helmet that fits w/ the transition shield and the star runs about 350 i think.... Also, the Vortex is SNELL 2010 approved (you can use it for track days).
          1991 Katana 750 (Red) (sold)
          2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            What happens when you drive through a tunnel? I hope they change quickly, my older pair of transition glasses were crap because they took so long to change brack from shades to normal. (Not that I drive through many tunnels.)
            Not sure, I've also seen that Transitions glasses take a while to change back to their untinted state. However I ride with sunglasses under a clear shield when it is bright out and I can't exactly stop before every tunnel to take them off. So I would be fine if the face shield takes a while to untint as long as it does so when I hit dusk, which is gradual anyway. But five-hundo for a helmet isn't happening so I guess I'll stick with what I've got.
            Gib mir Benzin
            Es fliesst durch meine Venen
            Es schlaeft in meinen Traenen
            Es laeuft mir aus den Ohren
            Herz und Nieren sind Motoren [rammstein]

Comment

Originally posted by wolfram View Post
              Not sure, I've also seen that Transitions glasses take a while to change back to their untinted state. However I ride with sunglasses under a clear shield when it is bright out and I can't exactly stop before every tunnel to take them off. So I would be fine if the face shield takes a while to untint as long as it does so when I hit dusk, which is gradual anyway. But five-hundo for a helmet isn't happening so I guess I'll stick with what I've got.

It all depends on which helmet you get... you can get the Vortex for 130.00 and the shield for 110.00. Everything I have read about the shield is it makes the helmet MORE then worth it... I go to night classes after I get out of work 3 days a week and most times I forget my clear shield... So riding w/ the tinted shield up and sun glasses on at night isn't the best idea.
              2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Yah HJC makes some decent helmets with dropdown sunglasses, same thing I would think. Other than the style factor of a dark shield, but if that's the case it probably doesn't matter.

Comment

Iv heard bad things about the drop down glasses... saying they aren't stable and break easily... I don't own one so don't take my word for it...
                  2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Originally posted by Katana91_750 View Post
                    The Bell Star is the only other Bell helmet that fits w/ the transition shield and the star runs about 350 i think....
                    More like $550-$650...... pretty squarely in Arai and Shoei territory.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well maybe but as I have said... The Bell Vortex can also use it and is a lot better price. I love mine... A little loud but very comfy.
                      2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Hey there. I own two bell helmets, the RS-1 and a Star. I do have the phototransition. The transitional lens changes quite fast from dark to light. The only concern i have is that it works off of UV rays.
                        What that means is that it gets darker the more UV exposure and if its just a plain sunny day without UV it just gets semi-dark. I have very sensitive eyes and need ultimate darkness so im going to be buying the dark smoke shade soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedison View Post
                          Yah HJC makes some decent helmets with dropdown sunglasses, same thing I would think. Other than the style factor of a dark shield, but if that's the case it probably doesn't matter.
                          I have the IS-16 from HJC with the inner sun shield. Great helmet and don't think I could own another helmet without it.
                          2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

i have a hjc fs10 with the drop down shield and love it. can be used by itself for more ventilation if desired.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                            X