Hjc is-16

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hjc is-16

Just purchased a new HJC IS-16.

First impression(being that it's my first full face helmet) is pretty good.
    PROS
    • Lot's of peripheral in the shield.
    • Shields Antifog is amazing
    • The integrated sun shield(reason I bought it) is a very neat feature with it's ease of use.
    • Nice looking
    • Price

CONS
    • Sun shield Anti fog sucks
    • cheek pads are a little invasive (are all properly fitted helmets tight?)
    • Venting.
    • Not as comfy as I thought, but I'm told that it'll "break in"

Although it kept my head relatively cool, the vents did nothing to assist with the anti fogging of the sun shield. Even with the main shield open partially, it fogged up.
    Price was a deciding factor, as I was not able to afford an Arai or Shoei helmet. I wear glasses, and the fact that I could wear glasses with the sun shield down, and still not feel closed in was awesome.

I just bought some antifog agent to put on my sun shield and glasses. Hopefully this helps.

As for this being my first full face helmet, I'm glad I chose it. It was between the EXO 500, and this one. I was able to get this one for $126.00, as opposed to the EXO $200.00 price. Basically the same features though.

I will be picking an EXO 500 up at the end of August, then I can compare the two!

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who was actually looking at the IS-16.

As a side note, I did not test this helmet on my bike. I wore it while riding a quad for about an hour.

•Sun shield Anti fog sucks: There are prodcts to take care of that. Make sure you ventilate.

•cheek pads are a little invasive (are all properly fitted helmets tight?): Yes. The tightness should be just slight of discomfort. You don't want that thing moving around while you're sliding down the road adding tortion to your spine, finding ways to come off and taking the most protective padding away from the places where you need it most.

•Venting. If the venting is bad, crack the faceshield a hair. I had an HJC years ago with that problem, but I found that you could crack it just enough (maybe 1/8 inch) to fix that. Other than that, you can buy a new helmet or drill some holes ( j/k)

Pop your faceshield at every light if you can. That way you won't have to fight blindness for the first few yards after you begin to roll.

•Not as comfy as I thought, but I'm told that it'll "break in": It will break in. Give it time.
    Last edited by Nero; 06-08-2011, 04:56 AM.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

My wife started with an hjc cl14 and grew to hate it once she got some experience riding. She shocked me and bought a new RF1100 last fall and loves it. There really are reasons why Arai and Shoei cost more than others.
      Hobbies (Beating You)

Comment

I hate to agree but it has been my experience that when it comes to fit, finish and comfort, there are few substitutes for $$$. My $450 Icon fits me like no other. I have probably owned 20 helmets over the years and although there are some good helmets at lower prices, they just don't seem to stand the test of time like the higher line. And it makes sense. What would be the point of having a higher line if your lower helmets provided the same value? It's the same with anything.

That said, I realize not everyone can afford a $600 helmet. I think HJC makes a damn good helmet for the price. There are comparable brands who make decent helmets in the $150 range too.
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
          I hate to agree but it has been my experience that when it comes to fit, finish and comfort, there are few substitutes for $$$. My $450 Icon fits me like no other. I have probably owned 20 helmets over the years and although there are some good helmets at lower prices, they just don't seem to stand the test of time like the higher line. And it makes sense. What would be the point of having a higher line if your lower helmets provided the same value? It's the same with anything.

That said, I realize not everyone can afford a $600 helmet. I think HJC makes a damn good helmet for the price. There are comparable brands who make decent helmets in the $150 range too.
          I thought the upper end helmets were just for show also until I got my Shoei last August...double on what Nero said.
          It feels good.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I have the same helmet and I knew at the time of purchase that it was not top of the line. It has it's faults. I find it quite noisey. But that aside it does the job. You are going to have to spend a little more if you want the creature comforts you are looking for.....

Good luck on that........I added the light smoke face sheild and am glad I did. Much better in the day riding in the bright sun and not too bad at night.
            sigpic
            98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
            Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Well I did just buy the bike this year, and I figure, I could easily explain the big $$$ to my accountant(read: wife) on a helmet next summer. But for now, this helmet will serve its purpose, as I'm just "re learning" to ride.

Comment

True. When you upgrade, you'll have a good secondary helmet too.
                =USAF= Retired

Comment

With the HJC's many of them you can put smaller or larger cheek and head pads in to get the right fit. So you can put XL cheek pads in the L if you dont have enough room fo yo face.
                  My YouTube Videos
                  My motorcyle map!

Comment

I have no issues with fogging or airflow in my IS16. Well in winter I guess but not durign the summer and such. Do you still have the chin air shield on? If so yank that off and the airflow will be drastically better.
                    I am a Penn State fanatic.
                    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

I was actually wondering if the chin air shield was removed if it would be better. I haven't done it yet, but I've been wearing it around the house practicing my combat breathing!

Comment

yeah just yank it right out. It slides right back in. You seriously quadrouple the air flow with it out...
                        I am a Penn State fanatic.
                        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

I have the helmet and love it. I couldn't be more please with it. I don't think I could own another helmet without a sun visor...
                          2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Working...
                          X