New helmet review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New helmet review

Got it a few hours ago. Icon Domain 2 "Devil Dog"

So far, it is bigger than my Joe Rocket, in shape of the helmet. Not distractingly so, but you can certainly see that the overall profile is a bit larger.

It is lighter than my old helmet, and has, literally, super vents. I only had it in on the house, but I could feel air flow even walking about with it on.

As for sizing, it feels a bit tight. I ordered a medium. I also wore a medium in Joe Rocket. I think the Icon will break in, and be fine. I may have to order replacement padding, in a large size if it remains tight. So for any buyers, I would measure your grape as perscribed, but when ordering, go a size higher, and give yourself some wiggle room.
    The chin curtain is a great add on, but it hampers the donning of the helmet, thusfar. I removed it, and replaced it with a smaller curtain from my old helmet, until the new one breaks in. I hope when that happens, that it will allow for easier don and and removal of the helmet, with the Icon chin curtain.

The "Pro Lock" shield feature (only comes on the Domain 2 helmet) seems like it will be solid. Far more user friendly than the Joe Rocket shield lock. It is self deploying, and it gets no simpler than that.

The field of view is certainly acceptable. It is comparable to my old lid.

I ordered a green mirrored shield with the helmet. Installation was far easier than my Joe Rocket. The side plates that mount on the shield are also extremely easy to don and remove. They do not retrict your field of view at all. You can't even see them.

For comm system users, I have some input. I have a Chatterbox FRS, and it is a bit tricky to mount it to the helmet. There is a flexible rubber "bumper" that runs the circumference of the bottom of the helmet. Getting the mounting apparatus for my comm unit on correctly was a little trying, due to that bumper. There are pre shaped wells inside the helmet, for speaker mounting. You will find two orange "plugs" in the foam shell. Just pull the plugs out. The pre formed holes are to small for FRS speakers, though. You may have to shave some of the impact absorbing styrene to get them to fit. Not enough to affect safety, mind you. Just 1/8 of an inch to allow fitment of speakers. The mic mounts just fine, without any modification.

Hope this review helps any prospective Domain 2 buyers.
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

'Told you they fit small. Nice lid bro.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Thanks, B.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

Thanks for the review bud! Looks like an awesome bucket! I probably would have grabbed one too, but just got my Scorpion Exo this past Christmas. See ya soon man!
        sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
        2004 Katana 600 - Gone
        2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I just wanted to make a comment on the "wiggle room" you mentioned.

FYI if you can grab the chin bar and physically move the helmet right and left while keeping your head stationary the lid is too big.

All too often I see people with ill fitting helmets because they aren't sure how it should fit.

Replacing the liner to fine tune the fit is a good protip often cheek pads can be swapped as well.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've wanted that lid now for over a year but I wanted it in orange and it doesn't come in orange according to the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              I just wanted to make a comment on the "wiggle room" you mentioned.

FYI if you can grab the chin bar and physically move the helmet right and left while keeping your head stationary the lid is too big.

All too often I see people with ill fitting helmets because they aren't sure how it should fit.

Replacing the liner to fine tune the fit is a good protip often cheek pads can be swapped as well.
              Thanks for mentioning that, Steve. I should have explained that better. I meant wiggle room, in a proverbial sense. Not actual room to wiggle the helmet about.

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
              I've wanted that lid now for over a year but I wanted it in orange and it doesn't come in orange according to the dealer

Yeah. It only comes in OD, cause, well...Marines don't wear orange.

I guess it's proper to mntion that Icon also makes a USAF tribute helmet, called the Warthog.

They alsp make a US Army tribute helmet, called the Operator.
              Last edited by Scout; 03-15-2011, 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

Little update:

After having put on and taken off the helmet about a dozen or more times, and worn it for 5 to 10 minutes at a clip, it is settling in well. The fit is feeling better. Not as constricting.

So...yay, and such.
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

They also make a Navy tribute lid called the "Semen." It's very soft though.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                  -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                        Their getting blown out today for $149!!!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Closeouts.aspx

That's where I got mine. The day before I ordered it, they were $250. I logged in to the site the next morning to order and was surprised to see the even lower price. I jumped all over it.
                        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                        Semper Fi

Comment

They army one sucks. All it is is the ACU pattern, while you marines have a cool looking hard core helmet. Booo!!!!! Even the AF pattern is hot. But thanks for the update because I did see a very nice lid that I like. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Helmet.aspx

The only problem is that they only have small and XS (who wears that). I wonder if I can buy the XXL pads and use in this lid or does the helmet dimesions change after certain widths?
                          -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                          sigpic

Comment

That airfoil on the rear of the helmet is something I am hesitant about - looks like it would break or crack fairly easily when putting the lid in the trunk of the bike.
                            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
                            X